Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Input on a new Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
edge10

Input on a new Snowblower
Original Message   Mar 6, 2013 10:03 pm
I would like to get some input on a new snowblower  for home use. I have a 20 x 50 ft drive with and 10 deg incline halfway up that goes level, and 100 ft of walk. Maneuverability is an issue, since I have to  blow snow between cars. I have limited storage space too.  My area gets about 25 inches of snow per year,  but sometimes we get a dump of a foot of wet snow.

The Ariens Compact 24  920014   and  Sno-tek 24 920402 are on my short list.  Others I should consider? Are the upgrades for the steel chute, cast iron gear box and Briggs Ariens orange models worth it in this price point? How about the Briggs 250 cc and dual belt auger  on the Ariens 24  921031 which is a step up in $$? LCT snow engine reliability and parts availability?

I am concerned about some of the  poor online reviews of the Ariens Compact 24  920014 that cite problems with Briggs engine, carb and friction disk.  It is surprising the Sno-tek reviews seem to  have much fewer problems.  As many of you may know , it is the similar to the Compact 24  with the LCT engine and without above upgrades..

Replies: 19 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
GreatCanadian

Re: Input on a new Snowblower
Reply #19   Mar 8, 2013 10:37 am
borat wrote:
II will agree though that with  the slope of the OP's driveway involved, a small dual stage might be a better choice in order to maintain control.  If the driveway was flat, I'd go with a Toro SS. 

If you are agreeing, then why are you arguing with me???? OP described his conditions, driveway slope, and requirements. I gave my recommendation. And apparently you agree with it, so I just don't get the rest of your post.

I live in Newfoundland, in eastern Canada. Trust me, people here are VERY neighborly, friendly, and help one another out all the time.  I just don't get the concept of "Well, my neighbor has a 2 stage so I'll get a single stage".

GC

mkd55

Reply #20   Mar 8, 2013 11:09 am
edge10.   i have a 1986 8 hp tecumseh 924 ariens that has served me well since i bought it new. my driveway is 20ft wide and 135 ft. long and yes there are years we don't get lots of snow here in wisconsin but there are also years like this year that we get more than the season average.is it too big sometimes? yes! but i sure am glad it can do the work when i need it to. if you are phisically able to handle a larger snowthrower that's what i would buy! it will do a good job on the light snowfalls and an even better job on the heavy ones! not only that but if you take care of it could be the last snowblower you'll ever buy.
This message was modified Mar 8, 2013 by mkd55
MN_Runner

Reply #21   Mar 8, 2013 8:07 pm
GreatCanadian wrote:
 I think it's much more sensible to get the 2 stage. I certainly don't want to depend on my neighbor to clear the snow out of the end of my driveway because I bought a single stage.

Before owning a Honda HS520, I thought having 2-stage was a must and required.  After having both HS928 and HS520 this year, I am not so sure about saying HS928 is the best option.  SS will have a hard time in certain conditons, but for 95% of the time, it will be more than good enough. I would not want to bother my neighbors either and I like being indepedent.  Don't under-estimate SS like I did.
longboat

Reply #22   Mar 11, 2013 8:46 am
GreatCanadian wrote:
But you shouldn't use a .410 on a moose either.

The point is, a single stage may do him MOST of the time but not all of the time. A 2 stage will do him ALL of the time. So for the difference in price, I think it's much more sensible to get the 2 stage. I certainly don't want to depend on my neighbor to clear the snow out of the end of my driveway because I bought a single stage.

Umm, that is why I suggested the snow scoop for anything the SS couldn't handle.  The snow scoop is NOT a shovel, and if you haven't tried it, please don't knock it.  I can clear my 2500sf driveway with it almost as fast as I can with my 928 2-stage, and the scoop will handle EOD with ease.  It's perfect for the "5%" that the SS might not handle.  The scoop and SS will take up less room in the garage than a 2-stage (one of the OP's concerns).
GreatCanadian

Reply #23   Mar 11, 2013 10:25 am
longboat wrote:
Umm, that is why I suggested the snow scoop for anything the SS couldn't handle.  The snow scoop is NOT a shovel, and if you haven't tried it, please don't knock it. 

I live in Eastern Canada. I'm no stranger to snow. I HAVE a snow scoop. And it's no pleasure pushing around a scoop of heavy wet snow. It weighs a ton. I much prefer to move that stuff with my snowblower.
longboat

Reply #24   Mar 11, 2013 2:58 pm
GreatCanadian wrote:
I live in Eastern Canada. I'm no stranger to snow. I HAVE a snow scoop. And it's no pleasure pushing around a scoop of heavy wet snow. It weighs a ton. I much prefer to move that stuff with my snowblower.

Are you sure you are using it correctly?  I can push/pull a 2'x2'x2' chunk of snow over a hundred yards, er, meters, with no effort at all, other than walking.  You need to slide it over the snow, not across bare pavement. 
GreatCanadian

Reply #25   Mar 12, 2013 9:49 am
longboat wrote:
Are you sure you are using it correctly?  I can push/pull a 2'x2'x2' chunk of snow over a hundred yards, er, meters, with no effort at all, other than walking.  You need to slide it over the snow, not across bare pavement. 

Am I using a snow scoop correctly?????????????????????????????????? Come on Longboat. That's just a silly question. You're talking like it's rocket science.

Plus, a hundred yards is 300 feet. Your 2x2x2 block will take you 150 scoops. Then you have ONE path cleared. If your driveway is 20 feet wide. That's 10 paths. 1500 scoops. Go for it. I'll use my 2 stage.

Edit: Just noticed that your driveway is only 2500 square feet, so that lowers the number of scoops to 625. If your driveway is 100 yards, that's a lot of walking!!

This message was modified Mar 12, 2013 by GreatCanadian
aa335

Reply #26   Mar 12, 2013 11:36 am
GC,

You convinced me.  I'm not walking 100 yards to deposit any snow.  Out comes the snowblower at full throttle, chute straight up.    Show that snow who's boss. 

Just make sure to point the chute down wind, and don't eat yellow snow.
This message was modified Mar 12, 2013 by aa335
longboat

Reply #27   Mar 12, 2013 1:26 pm
I've used the scoop a couple of times in lieu of the two-stage 928.  It takes about 10% longer using the scoop, regardless of snow depth (we don't often get more than 20 inches in one snowfall).  I don't have to sled it 100 yards, only 10 yards - the point is there is no difference in effort, other than walking.   Really, the scoop is nice to use.  No noise, no snow blowing around.  I sweat about the same amount as I do wrestling the 2-stage around.  When done, you feel great, like after a good cardio workout at the gym.  When done wrestling with the 2-stage, you feel like you just had a workout with weights at the gym.  Either way, you sweat the same.  If you're into heart-healthy, you'll love the scoop.  If your into muscle-building workouts, you'll love the two-stage.  Just my experience and opinions...

Btw, the scoop is really nice around the yard, sidewalks, deck and other tight quarters where it is difficult getting most OPE.

longboat

Reply #28   Mar 12, 2013 1:39 pm
GreatCanadian wrote:
Am I using a snow scoop correctly?????????????????????????????????? Come on Longboat. That's just a silly question. You're talking like it's rocket science.

You would be amazed at how many people don't use a snow scoop correctly!

I haven't lifted a snow shovel in years.   I do use a double-handle Garant pusher shovel for snows less than 2-3 inches, but that doesn't involve lifting.

Replies: 19 - 28 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42