Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > No snow in sight - WTH ???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

No snow in sight - WTH ???
Original Message   Jan 9, 2013 12:05 pm
It's almost middle of January and less than inch of snow accumulation has fallen.   There's no snow forecast in sight.  The temperature is heading up to 50-60F this weekend.  I'm excited about upcoming the warm weather but really want to see some real snow to play with.

Just saying, that's all.  It's been quiet on this forum for the last 3 days.  Too quiet.  I'm going to shift over to collecting lawn mowers instead of snowblowers if this keeps up.  Anybody feels the same way?
Replies: 55 - 64 of 98Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: No snow in sight - WTH ???
Reply #55   Feb 8, 2013 10:36 am
Last night, we got 2 inches of snow.  Doesn't seem much, but it was the really heavy and wet kind, heart attack snow.  I tried shoveling it, had to stop every 3 feet to get the accumulated snow off the shovel.  It was soaking heavy.  After a while, I decided to get out the SS.  Even the Toro 421 had trouble pushing that stuff up the chute.  The engine never stalled and the paddles were still spinning, but the snow came out very slowly, kinda like 9 inch tube of Italian ice..  Quite impressed with the power of this engine.  It took a while clearing the snow, but I got it done last night.

I was glad I cleared the heavy snow because the next day, the temperature dropped and the wet snow freezed hard as a rock.  I guess I could take out the 2 stage and let the metal auger do the work.  I might have to do that tonight to help the new neighbors who doesn't even have any snowblowers.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #56   Feb 8, 2013 3:18 pm
We got about 6 inches of very light snow today, went out with the shovel to get some exercise. According to the forecast here, it looks like you guys in northern VT,CT, NH, MA & ME are in for a good one. They say anything up to 36 inches, good luck & enjoy!

borat

Reply #57   Feb 8, 2013 5:41 pm
aa335 wrote:
Yes, having both rear wheels spinning kicking up a rooster tail and being to control the rear end swing with the throttle, that's a huge difference from FWD.

Usually around mid to late March we start to go to camp.  There's usually not another soul out there and we have the lake to ourselves.  By that time of the year, the snow has consolidated with the ice and makes for a flat, slightly slushy surface on the lake.   We have two 500cc four wheel drive ATVs that can be put into rear wheel drive only.  When the ice fishing is slow, we take the machines, put them in four wheel drive to get them up to about 30 mph or so on the ice  then we switch to two wheel drive, crank hard to left or right and apply some throttle.  Donuts forever  while sliding down the lake at speed.  Rooster tails of slush flying 20' in the air and ear to ear smiles.  Lots of fun. 
carlb

Reply #58   Feb 9, 2013 7:57 am
Another snow storm, another bust here in Southern New Jersey.   Looked outside this morning and only a dusting to maybe an 1" on the ground.  So far this year I haven't even put gas in my snow blower.

We haven't even lost power once this winter so I haven't needed our backup generator either.  This winter is becoming a real bust and I am having OPE withdrawal.

On the bright side I have the engine out of my lawn tractor and down the basement for a rebuild.  21 year old Briggs i/c gold  that was worked very hard and was even used with plow for about 10 years.  Other than a worn out set of rings (the engine was starting to smoke a little near the end of the summer) the engine looked great. 
Tanked everything honed the cylinder, new rings, lapped the valves and now its time to put it back together.
FrankMA

Reply #59   Feb 9, 2013 8:11 am
We got 2+ feet of snow so far and it's still snowing!  This is the first good storm we've gotten since the winter of 2010-2011 when we got one big storm after another. It's definitely a 2 stage kind of day once the snow stops which is supposed to be sometime this afternoon according to the weather guru's. 

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #60   Feb 9, 2013 9:47 am
FrankMA, nice to have that much snow to play with.  Enjoy!
MN_Runner

Reply #61   Feb 9, 2013 11:11 am
FrankMA wrote:
We got 2+ feet of snow so far and it's still snowing!  This is the first good storm we've gotten since the winter of 2010-2011 when we got one big storm after another. It's definitely a 2 stage kind of day once the snow stops which is supposed to be sometime this afternoon according to the weather guru's. 

May be it is good and bad.  You will have some fun but that is a lot of snow on your roof.  Hopefully you do not lose any power.  The snow looks fairly heavy type.  We are expecting only 6"+ (nothing like your area) of wet snow so we will see how this develops tomorrow.
jimbedro

Reply #62   Feb 9, 2013 8:05 pm
Nemo left me wiht 26"+ of snow. 3-4 drifts too. I was ouside 8 hrs straight snow blowing. The town push back the corner into my front yard and buried acces to my oil fill pipe. Left a 6' high pile.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2013 by jimbedro
GtWtNorth

Reply #63   Feb 9, 2013 9:32 pm
jimbedro wrote:
Nemo left me witt 26"+ of snow. 3-4 drifts too. I was outside 8 hrs straight snow blowing. The town push back the corner into my front yard and buried access to my oil fill pipe. Left a 6' high pile.

8 hours, maybe that's a little too much of a good thing!  We often forget those unsung heros who deliver our heating oil in rain sleet or snow. I always blow the extra 10 feet for a path to my fill pipes and the delivery man always writes me a thank you on the receipt  he leaves in the mailbox!

daswede

Reply #64   Feb 10, 2013 2:14 pm
  Another Massachusetts snowman here.   We got 24 inches of nice  throwing snow.

Wind was a bugger,kept changing directions. Snowed for almost 23 hours straight.  State shut down,No vehicles allowed on road.

Stores closed ,etc.

I finally dragged out my 5 yr. old  Ariens 7/24 .  This machine did itself proud. Took snow over the bucket, and kept churning along.

Replies: 55 - 64 of 98Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42