Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > No snow in sight - WTH ???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

No snow in sight - WTH ???
Original Message   Jan 9, 2013 12:05 pm
It's almost middle of January and less than inch of snow accumulation has fallen.   There's no snow forecast in sight.  The temperature is heading up to 50-60F this weekend.  I'm excited about upcoming the warm weather but really want to see some real snow to play with.

Just saying, that's all.  It's been quiet on this forum for the last 3 days.  Too quiet.  I'm going to shift over to collecting lawn mowers instead of snowblowers if this keeps up.  Anybody feels the same way?
Replies: 38 - 47 of 98Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: No snow in sight - WTH ???
Reply #38   Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm

My two cycle machines don't give off excessive fumes.  My wife who has a very sensitive sense of smell never complains about me smelling of fumes after I work with them.  She gets more p!ssed off if I get gasoline on me.  She's really sensitive to that. 

A proplerly tuned two cycle shouldn't produce much visible smoke once warmed up.  I think running them at speed also helps them run cleaner.  The faster exhaust gas speeds and higher temperatures seem to contribute to cleaner combustion.  At least, that's my experience.
MN_Runner

Reply #39   Jan 27, 2013 9:40 pm
@borat,

If your wife is used to Old Spice after shave lotion then you should be just fine!

Paul7

Reply #40   Jan 27, 2013 10:07 pm
It's been a while since I posted. Spent some time in Hawaii so not much use for a snowblowe there. Back in Pennsylvania now and it appears not much use for a snowblower here as well. Had about 2-3 inches on Friday but it was so fluffy I just grabbed my leaf blower and had the cars and driveway cleared in no time. It's still only January though with a lot more winter to come. Hope everyone here is well.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #41   Jan 30, 2013 6:34 pm
We've had a weird winter, in my opinion, in my area.  We've actually had nearly 40 inches so far this season at the airport, but except for one storm of about 8 inches, all the rest is little boring stuff like anywhere from a skiff of up to a quarter inch or maybe up to 3 or 4 inches if we're lucky.   At least my Toro got to have some neat fun a few times.  I don't have room to store an SS machine and I don't have any smooth surfaces to use it with.  Asphalt that isn't always flat, grass/dirt driveway.  When it's frozen, at least it's okay.  My street is just fine.  We've been below freezing for 3 weeks, but now it's 38F.  It goes up and down, but heading into February will be our transition out of winter, a month ahead of all you guys in the east.

The airport said we had 18 inches in December.  I can't see where it all came from, but it must have come down.  Our season total average is about 47 inches at the airport, but where I am on the north side of the city, I think we get around 55 inches.  Seems like we get more per snowfall than what the airport says they get.  Across the Idaho border 35 miles away in Coeur d'Alene, they get around 75 inches a year.  Crazy lake effect.  Well, may you all get the snow you want!  Let's hope we can hear some good snow stories before it's too late!
This message was modified Feb 1, 2013 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
aa335

Reply #42   Feb 4, 2013 12:33 pm
Got about 7 inches of snow the last 5 days.  Not a whole lot, but at least it's coming down.  Now I just need a 20" blizzard to finish off the winter season.
MN_Runner

Reply #43   Feb 6, 2013 6:53 pm
Not sure but the they are predicting a foot of snow on Sun/Mon.  Too bad it is not on Sat/Sun or Fri/Sat.
Bill_H

Reply #44   Feb 6, 2013 8:36 pm
A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.
* LOCATIONS... FROM THE COAST TO THE FOOTHILLS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE AND WESTERN MAINE.
* HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE.
* ACCUMULATIONS... SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 12 TO 24 INCHES POSSIBLE ... WITH LOWEST AMOUNTS IN THE FOOTHILLS AND HIGHEST AMOUNTS SOUTH AND ALONG THE COAST.
* WINDS... NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH POSSIBLE WELL INLAND AND NORTHEAST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH POSSIBLE NEAR THE COAST.
* VISIBILITIES... ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES LATE FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY.
* TEMPERATURES... MOSTLY BETWEEN 5 AND 25 ABOVE ZERO THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY.

As much as I'd like to see a decent storm, why do I have the feeling they're crying wolf AGAIN?
This message was modified Feb 6, 2013 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
MN_Runner

Reply #45   Feb 6, 2013 8:48 pm
My favorite time for a serious snow storm is Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun combination.  Sounds like you guys are getting just that!
aa335

Reply #46   Feb 6, 2013 8:54 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
My favorite time for a serious snow storm is Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun combination. 

That's mine too.  No one is in a hurry to get anywhere, the road traffic density is a lot less.  Also, the city snow plow runs later and less often so I can take my car outside and do some slip and sliding on snow covered roads.  Rear wheel drive, traction control off, time for some snow rallying. 
Moderator Denis

Reply #47   Feb 7, 2013 7:16 pm
Warnings Metro Montréal - Laval 3:16 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Blowing snow warning for Metro Montréal - Laval issued The combination of strong northeasterly winds and snow will give near zero visibilities in blowing snow beginning late in the day Friday. A low pressure system over Newfoundland will continue to track eastward during the next few hours. Behind this system, a very cold air mass combined with moderate northwesterly winds is causing extreme wind chill in a few regions of the province. The winds will become light overnight, which will end the extreme wind chill. Also, as this cold air mass passes over ice free waters it could produce snowsqualls giving zero visibilities locally in coastal areas from Sainte-Anne-des-Monts to Forillon Park. Snowsqualls will end gradually this evening as the winds ease. A low pressure system from Texas will move to lie near Lake Erie Friday morning and then merge with an intense low pressure system developing over the American seaboard. Snow associated with this system will begin this evening over Southern Quebec and will continue Friday. A more intense band of snow will affect areas near the Ontario and American borders. Over the southwest, snow amounts will be generally between 5 and 10 centimetres and up to 20 or 25 centimetres near the borders. Due to strong northeasterly winds accompanying this system, several regions along the St Lawrence Valley will see blowing snow beginning in the late afternoon Friday. Courtesy of Weatheroffice www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

Replies: 38 - 47 of 98Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42