Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Deluxe 28 vs. Comparable machines

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
EugeneNL

Ariens Deluxe 28 vs. Comparable machines
Original Message   Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm
Hey everyone, I live in Canada and I'm currently considering buying the Ariens Deluxe 28 for $1399. My other options in this price range are the Troy Built 277cc OHV 28" and the Briggs & Stratton 249cc 27", both from Canadian Tire. I see the Ariens models being compared to Honda's, is this fair? Does Ariens have a reputation of holding up well over 10-15 years? Is the Ice Drill chute a bit of a pain to use, my last 2 options have controls on the handles? Any info would be of some value, I have limited knowledge in this area.
This message was modified Jan 15, 2013 by EugeneNL
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
borat

Re: Ariens Deluxe 28 vs. Comparable machines
Reply #1   Jan 15, 2013 7:56 pm
Your timing isn't in your favour.  The Ariens machine you're looking at will be a good $300.00 or more cheaper in the spring.  Home Depot often clear out their seasonal stock for very good prices.  Particularly when compared to an Ariens dealer. 

Of the machines you've mentioned, Ariens for sure!
giocam

Reply #2   Jan 16, 2013 5:05 am
EugeneNL wrote:
Hey everyone, I live in Canada and I'm currently considering buying the Ariens Deluxe 28 for $1399. My other options in this price range are the Troy Built 277cc OHV 28" and the Briggs & Stratton 249cc 27", both from Canadian Tire. I see the Ariens models being compared to Honda's, is this fair? Does Ariens have a reputation of holding up well over 10-15 years? Is the Ice Drill chute a bit of a pain to use, my last 2 options have controls on the handles? Any info would be of some value, I have limited knowledge in this area.

If you are in NL, funnfast has the toro 926oxe on sale for $1499.
Same machine is at home depot for $1749

As far as ease of use goes, I don't think there is anything easier out there. You can change the direction and deflection of the chute in a split second with one motion, and the free wheel steering makes turning around at the end of the driveway effortless.
giocam

Reply #3   Jan 16, 2013 5:07 am
Here is a youtube video which demonstrates how quickly you can adjust the chute on the fly(just copy and paste the link into your browser):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q43GCi1kDs
This message was modified Jan 16, 2013 by giocam
mobiledynamics

Reply #4   Jan 16, 2013 9:12 am
borat wrote:
Your timing isn't in your favour.  The Ariens machine you're looking at will be a good $300.00 or more cheaper in the spring.  Home Depot often clear out their seasonal stock for very good prices.  Particularly when compared to an Ariens dealer. 

Of the machines you've mentioned, Ariens for sure!

At the rate this winter is going, I'm inclined to swap out the winter tars every weekend sofar
Nary snow or even some cold digit temps in sight.
MN_Runner

Reply #5   Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm
I would not buy one at this point even if I did not have a snowblower already.  We had one big storm where we got over 15" but it has been very boring winter just like last year.  If you are getting consistent snow in Newfoundland then that is a different story.  Wait for a good price in March or in summer.  At this rate we may see more rain than snow in Dec/Jan/Feb. A shovel is good and helps your biceps and your neighbors will love you for being so quiet as a mouse.
EugeneNL

Reply #6   Jan 17, 2013 1:45 pm
Now leaning towards the Toro 926 OXE for $1499. Is this a better machine than the Ariens Deluxe 28?
giocam

Reply #7   Jan 18, 2013 3:12 am
EugeneNL wrote:
Now leaning towards the Toro 926 OXE for $1499. Is this a better machine than the Ariens Deluxe 28?

I'd say go into the stores and play around with each machine. Those were the two I was torn between but in after seeing and trying them out in person I like the toro much better.
aa335

Reply #8   Jan 18, 2013 11:11 am
Yes, definitely go to the stores and try them both out.  At this point, your decision is very subjective based on what's most important to you.  The Toro has better ergonomics and easier to maneuver, but a bit plasticky.  The Ariens has basic industrial good looks and build, feels like a brick, handles like brick.  Don't let the salesman influence your decision, unless there's a huge discount.  :).  I would definitely push for a discount on the Ariens.  The snowblower has 8 more weeks until it has to make room for lawnmowers.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #9   Jan 30, 2013 6:57 pm
giocam wrote:
If you are in NL, funnfast has the toro 926oxe on sale for $1499.
Same machine is at home depot for $1749

As far as ease of use goes, I don't think there is anything easier out there. You can change the direction and deflection of the chute in a split second with one motion, and the free wheel steering makes turning around at the end of the driveway effortless.

I agree with you there, giocam!  After I found my Toro 1028LXE (Tecumseh 358cc L-Head) for a song ($600 on Craigslist in 2011 with only 10 hours on it), I have found the chute control to be really great to use.  I can aim it right where I want horizontally and/or vertically.  It's especially helpful when I go down my paved alley.  I sometimes have to aim it onto a very small area when I'm in between two neighbors' driveways near the street.  The chute stays in place with no wiggle at all.  Nice.  Also, as I go along slowly in this situation, I can gradually adjust the chute as I move along to maintain the proper area to put the snow.  The joystick operation aids in this.  It's not the end of the world, but it's nice to be able to do that.  The steering triggers are very precise in use as you said.   I've always liked Ariens (my younger son owns a really neat 1993 ST824 model), but I sure like my Toro.  I wasn't even looking for it when it came up for sale.  Good thing I found it.  I highly recommend it to anyone but advise trying to get a good price (of course), since Toro tends to be a bit pricey brand new.
This message was modified Jan 30, 2013 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
snowday

Reply #10   Feb 6, 2013 11:24 am
I have the Ariens Deluxe 30.  I like it over the Toro...I got mine from a John Deere Dealer in the States in November for $140 below sale price from $1399 to $1259.  I was told dealer cost is $1169 may be true not sure?  The 2012 30" deluxe has the bigger tires and a 342CC engine over the 250CC engine on the 28.  The 28+ does come with the bigger tires and hand warmers but not the bigger engine.  If you plan on spending $1100, might as well try and get a deal on the 30 Deluxe with the bigger engine, tires and hand warmers. 

The toro to me was overly large.  The plastic joystick wasn't appealing to me...could put a lot of strain on plastic parts in freezing temperatures and when the chute wants to freeze making it strain the linkage and joystick.  The "recycling snow impeller" design seemed like it would just through snow to the sides of the machine...why not just go with the 14" impeller like the Ariens?

The 2.5X ice drill works well, there is a large spring which allows you to adjust the tension so you can have it lock in where ever you put it and loosen it up to allow a easy free motion when turning it.  It also won't break, crank and gears which are covered by plastic housing and out of the snow when blowing.  In comparison I would be willing to bet I could turn my chute from lock to lock one to two seconds slower than a joy stick, not a big deal especially if you don't adjust the deflector position much.  The remote locker works well, sometimes it will not unlock which kind of sucks, mainly when wheels are binding.  Otherwise when unlocked it turns without effort, when locked it holds a solid straight line.  Very quite engine, starts on first pull in zero degree weather, easy to change oil.  Some complain about the light front end but i like it for lifting and backing up and turning, also it puts more weight on the wheels for better traction.  If you do ever have problems with it digging into snow Ariens does make a 10Lb front weight kit you can add on. The hand warmers allow you to use light weight gloves giving you better feel and ease of using the controls.        

Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42