Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > No snow in sight - WTH ???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

No snow in sight - WTH ???
Original Message   Jan 9, 2013 12:05 pm
It's almost middle of January and less than inch of snow accumulation has fallen.   There's no snow forecast in sight.  The temperature is heading up to 50-60F this weekend.  I'm excited about upcoming the warm weather but really want to see some real snow to play with.

Just saying, that's all.  It's been quiet on this forum for the last 3 days.  Too quiet.  I'm going to shift over to collecting lawn mowers instead of snowblowers if this keeps up.  Anybody feels the same way?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 98Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mkd55

Re: No snow in sight - WTH ???
Reply #4   Jan 10, 2013 10:44 am
went to florida just before christmas for a week and came home to the 135ft driveway full of hard pack snow and ice!  our son doesn't run the snowblower the best! the last three days with the melting temps and a few hours with scrapers and shovels we can finally see the driveway again.don't care if it ever snows again this winter here in wisconsin!
FrankMA

Reply #5   Jan 12, 2013 5:29 am
Used my SS Honda once this season. I uncovered the 2 Stage and fired her up for a bit but have not had a chance to use it yet. I hope this is not going to be a flashback from last winter. Only got about 4" of snow in my neck of the woods so far this season... :(

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #6   Jan 12, 2013 9:39 am
I live in Northwestern Ontario on the north shore of Lake Superior.  We broke the all time high temperature for January a couple days ago with a high of 45F.  It's been raining for two days and we have virtually no snow.  Damn!!!

The good news is that the temperatures will be dropping and the rain will turn to snow.  However, the system is on it's way out and it's going to clear before we get any accumulation. 

So many machines, so much time, so little snow..............
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #7   Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm
We got the blizzard - bout a foot of nice snow to blow and some bigger drifts  But...was underlaid with a bunch of concrete like stuff which made things difficult in places.  Winter is coming on here.

sboricic

Reply #8   Jan 13, 2013 7:47 am
We had about 4-6 inches of snow, give or take, but the mild weather Thurs, Fri and yesterday cleared most of it up. Plus rain overnight into this morning. Come on spring! I'm live East of Toronto, Ont too. Over the years, we haven't been getting as much snow as we used to.
aa335

Reply #9   Jan 13, 2013 3:49 pm
Got some "precipitation" last night.  Still no snow.  I'm going to move south if this keeps up.  I'm not putting up with the cold if it doesnt reward me with some snow.  
FrankMA

Reply #10   Jan 16, 2013 1:49 pm
Cleared my driveway a little while ago of about 6" of heavy, wet snow and it's still snowing (lightly). I really enjoy using the Honda HS621 Single Stage for these less than 12" snowfalls. I never got a good chance to use it last winter because of the lack of snow and the year before I only had the HS520 which is kind of anemic compared to the HS621 (JMO). This is my new "go to" machine for less than blizzard quantity snowfall amounts. I like that it is very easy to manuever, has more than adequate power/throwing distance and is just plain fun to use and operate. I used to kind of look down on SS machines as not quite being up to the task but my thinking has since changed - especially as I get older and the 2 stage becomes just a bit more unwieldy every year. I still love my 2 stage but it is now reserved for monster storms.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #11   Jan 16, 2013 3:01 pm
I hear what you're saying FrankMA.

Similarly, my goto machine is my $30.00 Murray SS.  It's first out 99% of the time.   Light, powerful, effective and fun.  What more could one ask for?

Got a bit of snow last night.  Maybe an inch and a half but the wind piled it up in some places.  Still not enough to use a machine.  Got some decent snow forecasted for the weekend apparently.  We'll see........... 
jrtrebor

Reply #12   Jan 16, 2013 3:54 pm

It's hard to believe that I live in Central West Michigan.
Less than a quarter of a mile from the Lake.
And haven't seen more than 2" of snow on the ground this season.
That was on one occasion and it only lasted about 2 days.
Very sad, our average snow fall here is about 120"
So far officially we've had a total of 10.2"
Heck, I think I've scraped more light snow and ice off my
vehicle.  Than I've picked up in shovel off the drive.
Very, very sad.

Bill_H

Reply #13   Jan 17, 2013 1:35 am
I had about 15" last week over 3 days, and today we got 6" of the stickiest snow I've ever seen.

This is the first time I have ever had the blower push snow because it was so packed it didn't go into the auger. Temp was exactly 32. I had to ram into an old snowbank (frozen solid) to push that stuff into the auger, then it got thrown OK. Really strange. I even stopped and checked to make sure the machine was OK when I first saw it happening. Finally got it all cleared down to blacktop, it'll be in single digits tomorrow so I had to get all of it because anything I didn't get today will be there for a while.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 98Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42