Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro dealer refuses service on my CCR3650

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Toro dealer refuses service on my CCR3650
Original Message   Jan 4, 2013 9:59 am

In Memoriam:

The CCR3650 is survived by two Powerlite younger brothers and several Murray friends.  Originally from Toro,  3650 moved to Boston where it enjoyed years of contented clearing.  Over the last few years illness struck and parts stiffened so 3650 moved to it’s current location in Marlboro, Mass, where this week he passed peacefully on the bench.    

The local Toro dealer was called to schedule a decent service for 3650.  It wouldn’t have had to have been anything elaborate; a few flowers, black car or even a black pickup would have been ok but he heartlessly refused.   A neighbor has offered to lead the procession with his black SUV which is greatly appreciated.   

There is no schedule for viewing.  The procession will start from the house in Marlboro at 10:00am and final close casket service at the plot.   NM_Runner has graciously offered to lay taps.  All are welcome.   Donations in place of flowers should be sent to the Old Mechanics Home in Worcester.

New Home:

Bore gouged by a rod needle that made it's way up into the head eventually locking the piston in place.

The bolts holding on the rod cap in place were very loose so the pins probably blown through a port up into the head.  The piston lower skirt is damaged and the bore walls.  The piston had to be hammered out so the bore is gone and the block a total.   The engine was locked up when I bought it so seemed like a rod break or possibly just heat stuck from low or no oil.  On getting it home the pull cord worked and after given it some gas it ran fine.  That was east year and I used it for a few minutes in snow and it was fine.  Over the off season I started it and ran it several times.  This year a few days before the first snow I started it and it froze up solid.  I figured it was a broken and jammed rod but unfortunately a total. The rest of the machine is nice shape so I'll have to see what can be planted in there.  Never saw this type of damage before.but probably common for a two stroke.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
borat

Re: Toro dealer refuses service on my CCR3650
Reply #1   Jan 4, 2013 10:19 am
You have my condolences.

I suspect that was an Rtek engine?  If so, did you see any sign of locktite on the rod cap screws?  Was there a lock-tab washer on the screw?  I know that some of the Lawn Boy mowers I've opened up didn't have locking tabs to secure the rod cap.  Accordingly, I put on some blue locktite when I re-assembled.  

That's one of the reasons I like the Tecumseh engines.  No rod caps.
This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by borat
trouts2

Reply #2   Jan 4, 2013 11:22 am
   Just checked...no tabs...no locktite.    I've never locktited rod bolts before and the famous last works "I've never had a problem".   But how would I know after selling a machine and say 4-5 years later they loosen and scrub the engine.  The guy probably forgot where he got it and even if he did probably not call or email about it. 

I anti-sieze lots of bolts but don't usually locktite bolts unless they're a known problem so seldomly in a preventative way.  I have most of the locktite grades here and easy enough to start doing that.

Yes, it was a 141 R*Tek...Nice engines.   Too bad this thing is KO'ed.  I was planning to have that one for me this winter and would have been nice to compare to the big four stroke SS's.  Chances are slim for picking up 2450's or 3650's until spring and summer.  I'm shifting the operation here to mostly single stages and slim down on the two stages.  They're easier to handle and I can work on them when it's cold in the cellar instead of the cold garage.  It's wicked nice to be out there in good weather, with radio and cable TV but in cold weather pretty miserable.
This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by trouts2
aa335

Reply #3   Jan 4, 2013 11:36 am
Is the engine a Briggs Intek or R*tek?  I thought all Toro's 3650 are 2 stroke. 
trouts2

Reply #4   Jan 4, 2013 12:06 pm
   Corrected.    They are all 2 strokes.  The testing would be 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.
borat

Reply #5   Jan 4, 2013 1:09 pm
aa335 wrote:
Is the engine a Briggs Intek or R*tek?  I thought all Toro's 3650 are 2 stroke. 

My mistake.  I meant R-tek.
NickM

Reply #6   Jan 5, 2013 5:10 pm
R.I.P. 

(Rust in Peace)

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42