Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow Commnader - First Impressions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Snow Commnader - First Impressions
Original Message   Dec 30, 2012 4:50 pm
Well. where do I start.
Snow conditions - About two inches, dense but not wet.
Started on the first pull... Good
Has plenty of power...Good
Will pull you along... Good
Cuts a nice wide 24" path... Good
Throws snow... Not so good
Were talking three maybe four feet.
Belt was checked - tight
My thoughts. As most know you've got to feed a blower enough snow for it  to be able to
throw it's maximum distance.  When the snow depth is let's say three inches or less
you may have to be moving forward pretty quick to provided enough snow to the blower.
( there are other factors but generally speaking)
So maybe that was part of the problem.  This blower has three paddles so it should be
able to process more snow than a two paddle.  It has the power (7hp) and because the
auger drive pulley is 1 1/2" small in diameter than the 2000 and 3000 series Toro blowers.
There shouldn't be a power problem with spinning an extra paddle. And the additional four inch
wide bucket.

Having said that, SS blowers get their performance by way of auger RPM.
Borat has shown that in his videos.  (plus the added bonus of more power out of the engine when raising the engine RPM.)
So having a much smaller pulley on the auger shaft may offset the physics behind
adding a third paddle and a wider bucket.  But maybe the drop in auger RPM is not so good.  When it comes to
an acceptable throwing distance.

At this point clearing small amounts of snow with the blower simply allows you a wider clearing path.
Your not blowing anything off the drive your simply blowing it into what will be your next pass.
I have no doubt that what I saw today is not a good example of what this blower is capable off.
But I was expecting it to throw at least as far as my little 3.5hp CR20E that I used earlier.
Have to wait for a deeper snow.

I was also looking at the paddle to housing clearance.  It seemed a little wide to me 1/4-3/8"
So maybe the paddles are in need of replacing as well.
Kind of hoping not, there something like $100.00 a set on Ebay.

Any thoughts?

This message was modified Dec 30, 2012 by jrtrebor
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Snow Commnader - First Impressions
Reply #5   Dec 30, 2012 9:09 pm
I miss stated something in my first post.  I said the stock SC pulley was smaller than other Toro's
 I meant to say that it is larger.

There isn't a whole lot of information out there about these blowers.
With the little I did find.  Some said they didn't work well, others
bragged about them.
When I took it back in I pulled the side cover to check belt tension.
While I was in there, I pulled the auger pulley and was able to
slip on another one off an CCR 2000.
Two shim washers and it fit perfectly.  Problem is the belt.
As the stock one is way to big because the replacement pulley
is 1 1/2" smaller in dia.  I usually buy all my belts at
Advanced Auto.  But I don't suspect that they will carry a selection of
those ribbed belts.  Like they do in V belts.
I even checked to see if I could install another tension pulley
somewhere to take up the slack in the stock belt  using the
replacement pulley.  But it's just way to big.

As I said before we all know how important auger RPM is.
I did the math (actually I used an online pulley calculator)
using these values.
engine RPM 4200
drive pulley 1.5" dia. (estimated)
driven pulley 7.25 dia.(stock)  = 868 RPM auger shaft speed
driven pulley 5.75"dia. (used on other Toro's) = 1095 RPM auger shaft speed
Guess I'll just have to wait for a big snow and see how it does.
I am going to see if a can find a shorter belt.
Would love to put that smaller pulley on it.
Then hope that the three paddle auger is enough in balance.
This message was modified Dec 30, 2012 by jrtrebor
borat

Reply #6   Dec 30, 2012 9:41 pm
I watched the video.  I'd say it needs much more snow to really evauate it.   The engine rpms sound pretty relaxed as well.  The only thing I like relaxed is me.  Jack that baby up! 
jrtrebor

Reply #7   Dec 30, 2012 11:14 pm
borat wrote:
I watched the video.  I'd say it needs much more snow to really evauate it.   The engine rpms sound pretty relaxed as well.  The only thing I like relaxed is me.  Jack that baby up! 

I kind of think it needs more snow as well. I've kind of just assumed it was just like other SS
blowers.  But with a larger bucket and engine.  Maybe it's not.
Maybe it was designed for the purpose of dealing with larger snow amounts.
More snow processing capacity, but with a shorter throw distance.
Hence the three paddles, wider bucket and slower auger RPM.
The RPM does need to come up some.
borat

Reply #8   Dec 31, 2012 9:09 am
I doubt that Toro would design the machine to sacrifice distance for volume.  At least not to the less than impressive distance depicted in your video.  The additional three inches of width is compensated with more power and three paddles.  If there is a limit in distance, it would likely be only by five feet or so.  Meaning that Toro advertizes between 30 and 35 ft. throwing distance.  The Snow Commander might be limited to 25', which in reality is quite good.  From my experience with my new 221 vs. the Tecumseh powered machines, the Toro might achieve 30' with perfect snow and a back wind.  Otherwise, around 20', give or take a few ft. would be normal. 

Speaking of distance, how exactly is the distance measured?   It's not like the snow has concise dimensions like a piece of rope.

If the paddles are worn, that will likely effect distance thrown on certain types of snow.  Having the deflector at 90 degrees will also inhibit distance.  

I would surmise that with sufficient half decent snow, the deflector up, increase rpms to around 4700, the machine will throw snow much further. 

Here's something that you might want to read.  It's in the "Reviews" section:

http://www.abbysguide.com/snow-blower/reviews/38-0-1.html

You will note that throwing distance is on par with other Toro claims.
This message was modified Dec 31, 2012 by borat
trouts2

Reply #9   Dec 31, 2012 11:44 am

Borat: Speaking of distance, how exactly is the distance measured?

A puzzle but I would imagine done in the usually way under the eye of marketing with optimal conditions of density, compactness, moisture, height that would rarely occur.  Most distance spec’s are caveated or  footnoted with depending on conditions.   Many are a range which is more realistic than a best condition max.  I’ve seen some start at 3 feet on the low end.   Most people I talk about distance expect to always be tossing at the spec max which is unrealistic.

In average snow a 3hp Powerlite does 15-25 and the crew of 2450’s, 3650’s and up 20-30. 

Jrtrebor,

At least to me the video seems to show enough snow to be tossed well, 10-15 feet.   The output is a flow so different than what I see with low inches of snow with an SS.  What usually comes out with low snow is a flurry that has no energy and dosen’t go more than a few feet.  It’s blown all over close to the machine.   The low snow in the video seems dense enough to be tossable.

The speed of the flow out in the video seems very slow so an RPM issue.    The gap of ¼ to 3/8 is pretty big and could an issue also.  

It would be picking up more snow per paddle with a two paddle but the flow does seems enough to be tossed and not a problem.    I would think with that snow and the usual Toro pulley ratios and an RPM 4000-4100 you would have gotten a toss of 10+ feet and very wide.

On the 24 width.  That  might be a bit much in higher denser snow that a Toro 21inch 6.5hp would handle better.  In bigger snow the bite pull poops out so quite a bit of pushing required on my 21 inch machines with the handles against the hips.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2012 by trouts2
jrtrebor

Reply #10   Dec 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Took a little closer look at things today.
I'm no rocket scientist, but ....
This looks like the main cause of the lack of distance when I
was trying to throw that small volume of snow.

The space is just a little to wide.
Don't you think...
That's a short 3/8" drive extension.
The gap has got to be 1/2"+
This is the worst of the three paddles.  But the other two aren't much better.
With that large of a gap the snow was simply piling up in the housing.
Until the volume was great enough to be limply thrown out.
You can kind or see that happening in the video.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2012 by jrtrebor
trouts2

Reply #11   Dec 31, 2012 5:07 pm
   The paddles should have holes which are wear limits.    You have a hole on the right side in your picture but that's not the place for a wear hole.  Maybe they've been worn past the hole.

Regardless of the factory spec that gap is way too big.
jrtrebor

Reply #12   Jan 1, 2013 10:27 pm
The paddle is worn down half way through the
wear indicator hole.
As wide as the gap is, I didn't expect to see any of the indicator hole.

borat

Reply #13   Jan 2, 2013 9:25 am
The up-side is that the paddles on the Toro look relatively easy to replace provided the screws and nuts cooperate.  The Craftsman/Murray/MTD machines are riveted.  Replacing the paddles on them will require considerably more work. 
aa335

Reply #14   Jan 2, 2013 10:15 am
jrtrebor,

Are you sure these paddles are the correct part?   Seems like the wear indicator hole is really way off.   Those gaps are way too big.  I know it's a long shot but could someone possibly installed a Toro 2450/3650/221 paddles on the Snow Commander rotor?

Speaking of rotor, it is a much heavier and longer piece than Toro's typical rotor.  There's a lot of rotating mass.  To me, the 141cc Rtek engine might be on the small size for the application.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42