Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928TCD auger shear pins - two types available

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Honda HS928TCD auger shear pins - two types available
Original Message   Jan 20, 2011 10:43 am
I have a new Honda HS928TCD blower.  Apparently a change was made in the past for the shear pins for the HS928 so now there are two types available, depending on the frame serial number. The older style pins have a P/N of  95701-06016-00 and the newer style is 92101-06016-0A. Since I have a bunch of the older style shear pins, I am wondering what the nature of the change was and if the older type of shear pins will work for the newer model.  If the old style is used on the new frame type, is there a danger to the gearcase because the shearing point is different?  See  http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Snow%20Blower/0/HS928%20WAS%20SNOW%20BLOWER%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20SZAS-1100001%20TO%20SZAS-1129999/AUGER/parts.html for the illustrations.  Any ideas out there?

Replies: 37 - 46 of 50Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
BeerZman

Re: Honda HS928TCD auger shear pins - two types available
Reply #37   Dec 11, 2012 9:50 pm
Thanks SKIBUM!

I didn't know all that about the HS928 shear pins and it was GREAT info....

My dealer here is ONE BEYOND a GOUGE ARTIST and I want to order a bunch of shear pins for my parts drawer to have some on hand! 

I just bought my blower new this month so I am assuming it is the last number pin or the NEW pin for me!

Having said that I am asking you...

Do you know the HONDA "order part number" for the fancy nilock nut with built in washer flange?

I mean I went and saw & you are exactly right that the shear pin BOLT is a bolt you can readily get from Honda parts places...I'd like to get the "nut" too...

May as well as I am ordering it anyway....so I can order them at the same time!

Thanks for the great info!

BEERZ

nvestr

Reply #38   Jan 1, 2013 3:16 pm
Hi guys, I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a while... I have a HS928 shear bolt question as well... I bought a HS928TCD (Canadian model) used and got to use this afternoon for the first time. 2 issues : I broke a bolt on one of the augers. Problem is the bolt that broke is not the one that I think is supposed to shear. If you look at this parts diagram : http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Snow%20Blower/0/HS928%20WAS%20SNOW%20BLOWER%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20SZAS-1100001%20TO%20SZAS-1129999/AUGER/parts.html The bolt that broke is #9. Isn't bolt #13 the one that is supposed to sacrifice itself? Either way, the effect is the same: the auger is now loose and spins freely. I've checked the bolts #13 and they are Grade 8.8 metric bolts, which I think is the proper grade for these. Is it normal for bolt #9 to break? Something leads me to believe that the previous owner changed out the #9 with a random bolt that wasn't necessarily the proper strength. Should the #9 bolt be a softer bolt just like the #13 or can it be a higher grade bolt? I will need to replace it so curious what I need to buy. Also, I broke a track shear pin while trying to dig out the fire hydrant in front of my yard. Is there a non-Honda replacement to those or do I need to buy the Honda pin? Thanks so much guys! Jeff NB, Canada
jrtrebor

Reply #39   Jan 1, 2013 4:28 pm
According to the diagram #9 is not a bolt.  It's a pin held in place by a washer and a clip.
The pin goes through the "Boss" and a hole in the actual auger shaft.
Not sure why your blower had a bolt instead of a pin.

But the good news is that something sheared and you
didn't break the auger shaft or tear up the gear box.
Ace Hardware sells a large selection of metric nuts and bolts
They have the nylon / self locking nuts and Flange whiz nuts.

Just to keep down any confusion.  If it has threads on it, it's a bolt.
If it doesn't it's a pin.  A diagram may refer to an item as a shear pin.
But it is not a pin, if it has threads on it.
nvestr

Reply #40   Jan 2, 2013 6:55 am
Thanks - Just still not sure if that "pin" needs to be a stronger steel than the actual shear bolt (#13)? My Honda dealer is far away and if I can get away with it I will replace the "pin" with something else - unless there is a value to having it there...?
jrtrebor

Reply #41   Jan 2, 2013 8:28 am
nvestr wrote:
Thanks - Just still not sure if that "pin" needs to be a stronger steel than the actual shear bolt (#13)?

I would say it does need to be stronger but...
There really isn't any way to know if the Pin has a higher shear strength than the Shear bolt.
I say that because there is a different amount of torque or shearing action being applied
to the Pin and the Shear bolt. The Shear bolt is further out from the center axis of the auger shaft
so it is actually spinning faster than the Pin.  There is also more leverage involved working on shearing the Bolt.
I obviously don't know all the engineering involved here.
Only that it appears that Honda designed the shearing action to take place.
 at the #13 bolt. I believe.
Don't know why Honda doesn't label the #13 bolt as a "Shear bolt" (if that is what it is and was designed to be)
rather than just a "Bolt, Hex. (6x16)"
The most important issue here is making sure that you have the correct Harness or Grade bolt.
It's the only thing that really matters.  Gear boxes run about $500.00 complete. 
And the Shafts alone are about $100.00

You can by the nuts at any Ace Hardware store and possibly the correct Grade bolts as well.

aa335

Reply #42   Jan 2, 2013 11:01 am
One thing to note is that Honda shear bolts are sensitive to overtorque.  It will stretch the bolt and cause premature shearing.  I've done this and was about to get stronger shear bolts so I don't have to replace them so often.  Don't do this.  The shear bolt is held on by a Nyloc type nut.  This prevents the nut from spinning off the bolt.    Just tighten the nut until it is snug up against the plastic block, no more than that.

I don't know of aftermarket shear bolts are made to the same specs as the Honda original parts, they might be.  I just want don't want to experiment and risk an expensive gearbox.  I don't break shear bolts as often now so cost isn't an issue, and when I do break one, it is because I went over something hard, and the shear bolts function as it should. 
This message was modified Jan 2, 2013 by aa335
MN_Runner

Reply #43   Jan 2, 2013 7:40 pm
I totally agree with AA335. You just can't be "penny wise and pound foolish".  Why take a chance on $5 bolt and damage $500 auger.
jrtrebor

Reply #44   Jan 2, 2013 11:20 pm
aa335 wrote:
One thing to note is that Honda shear bolts are sensitive to overtorque.  It will stretch the bolt and cause premature shearing.  I've done this and was about to get stronger shear bolts so I don't have to replace them so often.  Don't do this.  The shear bolt is held on by a Nyloc type nut.  This prevents the nut from spinning off the bolt.    Just tighten the nut until it is snug up against the plastic block, no more than that.
I agree.  The nuts only function on a Shear Bolt, is to keep the bolt it place.
Buy the bolts from Honda and if you want to save some money.
Buy the metric Nyloc Flange nuts from a Hardware store.
If they don't carry Nyloc Flange nuts. Just by some Nyloc nuts and a washer.
nvestr

Reply #45   Jan 3, 2013 10:41 am
Thanks everyone! Great discussion. My #13 shear bolts are 8.8 Metric shear bolts, same size as the Honda OE's. My local Honda dealer doesn't even sell the Honda ones - They sell a generic bolt of the same size labeled CH 8.8 I think. I have ordered the #9 pins from Honda at $7 each. In the interim I will use an 8.8 bolt if any snow falls down before I get them. Thanks for the help!
This message was modified Jan 3, 2013 by nvestr
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #46   Jan 3, 2013 2:43 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
I would say it does need to be stronger but...
There really isn't any way to know if the Pin has a higher shear strength than the Shear bolt.
I say that because there is a different amount of torque or shearing action being applied
to the Pin and the Shear bolt. The Shear bolt is further out from the center axis of the auger shaft
so it is actually spinning faster than the Pin.  There is also more leverage involved working on shearing the Bolt.
I obviously don't know all the engineering involved here.
Only that it appears that Honda designed the shearing action to take place.
 at the #13 bolt. I believe.
Don't know why Honda doesn't label the #13 bolt as a "Shear bolt" (if that is what it is and was designed to be)
rather than just a "Bolt, Hex. (6x16)"
The most important issue here is making sure that you have the correct Harness or Grade bolt.
It's the only thing that really matters.  Gear boxes run about $500.00 complete. 
And the Shafts alone are about $100.00

You can by the nuts at any Ace Hardware store and possibly the correct Grade bolts as well.

So what exactly is the function of the pins, as opposed to the shear bolts?  Is it just a secondary protection in case the shear bolt doesnt work?  Or what?  7 bux for a pin sounds really excessive.

Replies: 37 - 46 of 50Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42