Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > toro power max 6000 snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Coldfingers

toro power max 6000 snowblower
Original Message   Nov 3, 2012 11:37 am
I saw a two year old toro power max 6000 snowblower for sale with the two stroke R-tek 141 cc motor, they said they used it maybe ten times and it looks real nice. Anyway, they want 600.00 for it and I'm not familiar with this blower so I need advice on if it is a good deal or not? I've never seen a self propelled two stroke before.

Coldfingers

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
borat

Re: toro power max 6000 snowblower
Reply #1   Nov 3, 2012 12:58 pm
There's a participant here "Superbuick" who owns one and loves it.  If I had a shot at that machine, I'd be all over it.

Being 'two years old" sounds a bit inaccurate.  I could be wrong but, I don't think they've been made for at least five years. 
This message was modified Nov 3, 2012 by borat
Coldfingers

Reply #2   Nov 3, 2012 7:06 pm
I was wondering about that as when I tried to look them up it seemed they haven't been made for ahwile now. I haven't seen this is person yet, just pics he sent but it looks real good in the pics. Is it worth 600.00? He said it was 1500.00 new which sounds a bit high.
aa335

Reply #3   Nov 4, 2012 1:33 am
I'd probably get one if I come across one in excellent shape at a reasonable price.  It's a rare model to come by, like the Snow Commander which has the same engine, but I would not pay collector's price for it.  I'd probably offer $400 for and see how the seller respond.

I doubt any Powermax 6000 are two years old, maybe the seller is the second owner and had it in their possession for two years.  The other scenario is that it's new old stock machine that only been in actual service for the last two years.
jrtrebor

Reply #4   Nov 4, 2012 7:44 am

Did a little checking, and it appears that 2008 was the last year they
made the Powermax 600
I used the model # 38610 at the Toro site to get that information.

Coldfingers

Reply #5   Nov 7, 2012 8:08 pm
Thanks guys. I kind of thought 600 was a little high, maybe I will watch and see if it comes down shortly or not. I beleive the guy was the original owner.
Loblolly77

Reply #6   Nov 8, 2012 9:15 am
Hi-

Be sure  (if you decide to purchase) to take your tool kit and ask to remove the muffler from the engine and look at the piston through the muffler port. Look for vertical scratches and gouges in the piston.  Two hex head bolts, and a locking tab, easy to remove.

Press each piston ring with a small wood dowel and see if the rings are stuck in their grooves. Look for carbon deposits below the rings, that is a sign of stuck rings also. Carbon above the rings is normal.

Stuck rings allow hot gases to blow down past the rings and superheat the sides of the piston causing more carbon build up and finally the piston siezes from all the burned on carbon and overheating.

If the piston looks smooth and clean, then that would be a great machine to buy.

borat

Reply #7   Nov 8, 2012 10:01 am
A simple compression test would be a good indicator of cylinder condition. 

If the compression is where it should be (approx. 120 psi), I wouldn't bother pulling the muffler.  Every used SS machine I've bought has had factory spec or very close to it.  Unless the machine was straight-gassed, it should be fine.  Snow removal equipment live a fairly easy life considering their relatively low operating rpms combined with cool temperatures of winter.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42