Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Cub Cadet 221 LHP single stage any good?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

Cub Cadet 221 LHP single stage any good?
Original Message   Oct 21, 2012 6:34 pm
I already have a 2 stage for the heavy stuff but most of my snow removal is done with my 8 year old Craftsman 4 cycle SS blower.  I have just replaced the auger paddles and some plastic parts and I'm going to give this machine (which still works quite well) to my son.  I see that Toro gets the best grades from most review sites, but I can't help but notice that on some you tube videos, this machine seems to have some trouble with the wet stuff.  I thought about the Cub Cadet because of it's 208cc motor and it's chute + deflector control joystick.  I know the motor is Chinese built, but is it made to higher Cub Cadet standards like some other brands' Chinese engines?  Is the build quality any better than all of the other MTD units?  Does the extra 40-50cc engine make it more powerful than the Toro?  Is the joystick chute control a major convenience?  It seems you can pick up the Cub for about $100 less than the top line Toro 621QZE to boot.  Anyone have any experience with this machine? 
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
borat

Re: Cub Cadet 221 LHP single stage any good?
Reply #1   Oct 21, 2012 7:07 pm
No experience with the Cub Cadet single stage.  However, I suspect that it's just another MTD iteration of the same basic machine sold as Troy-Bilt, Yard-Man, Bolens, Yard Machines, McCulloch and White Outdoor, which in my opinion are nothing special. 

Despite my disdain for the Toro company, I do respect their snow removing products and in particular, their SS machines.   I own a 221QRE single stage machine which is powered with an R-tek two cycle engine.  It is a very capable machine.  It's also well designed and built.  

I also own  a 2005 MTD SS machine which, if it weren't for the Tecumseh two cycle engine, would be a lacklutre machine at best.  I also own one Murray and one Craftsman SS machines.  In stock form, they're relatively lame.  Once the two cycle engines are jacked up, they become very effective machines.  I doubt that you'd be tinkering with a new machine if you get one, so you will have to live with what the Cub Cadet delivers.  I wouldn't be as concerned about the engine as much as the rest of the machine.  Chances are the engine will outlast the machine it's mounted on.  I'd be more concerned with how well designed the drive and impellers systems are as well as controls, chute and deflector.  That's where Toro excels.  Theirs are very robust and effective.  If I were shopping for a single stage machine, it would likely be a Toro.         
This message was modified Oct 21, 2012 by borat
slinger

Reply #2   Oct 21, 2012 11:04 pm
Yes I agree that Toro does make a good product.  I"ve got a 21 year old 2 cycle (suzuki engine) recyler mower, a Timemaster 30", a zero-turn and string trimmer that are all Toro and I've been mostly happy with them.  I wonder if Toro will ever put a full joystick chute control on the 621 series.  I guess I'm just spoiled by my 2 stage machine's chute control.  I also like the headlight that the SS Cub has.  It would come in handy for me.  For the price that Toro charges for the QZE model, it should include those features.  I'm sure I'll end up getting one of the Toros (probably  the Toro 621QZR) since nobody seems to glowingly endorse the Cub.  Oh wait,  I see there are still some Toro 221s left out there.  Maybe that's the way to go...
Bill_H

Reply #3   Oct 22, 2012 11:21 am
" Oh wait, I see there are still some Toro 221s left out there. Maybe that's the way to go..." Yup, that's what I would do.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42