Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda or Ariens snowblower. New purchase

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Ctrlaltelite

Honda or Ariens snowblower. New purchase
Original Message   Oct 8, 2012 8:37 am
Looking at either the Ariens Professional 28 ($1999) or a used 2009 Honda HS1132 for ($1700). My main concern of the Ariens is the Briggs engine. My main concern with the Honda is the maneuverability and cost of future repairs. Anyone have any input. My wife says just buy the brand new Ariens. I wouldn't mind a used Honda (even if it is 3 years old)
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Re: Honda or Ariens snowblower. New purchase
Reply #2   Oct 8, 2012 10:44 am
I used a John Deer with wheels for 30 years and bought a Honda 28" with tracks and would never go back to wheels.  I chose the 28 over the 32 so it would fit through narrow areas and doors and it's probably eassier to maneuver when blowing too.  It's not really more difficult to maneuver than a wheelie once you get the proper technique and you will appreciate the tracks when the going gets tough.  It's a bear to maneuver in storage when the engine is not running though.  I keep mine on a creeper with wheels with the gas tank drained dry during summer, and that works.  The used might be a good buy but you would need to carefully inspect it to make sure it's in good condition.  Or.....just get a new one.
This message was modified Oct 8, 2012 by Dr_Woof

Ctrlaltelite

Reply #3   Oct 8, 2012 10:55 am
Thanks for the replies. Are far as engines go, Honda speaks for itself, but think its about a 90cc difference from the Ariens Brigg. How much will that matter when clearing end of driveway slush and ice chunks from the large city plows. I sit on a Corner lot and get a boat load of snow push at e end of my driveway.
FrankMA

Reply #4   Oct 8, 2012 1:34 pm
I have an HS928TA (9 HP, 28" Bucket, Track Drive) and never have any issues going through the tough, sloppy end of driveway stuff that the plow leaves as a gift for me. I have a 125' long sloped driveway and clear an EOD area that is about 25' wide. I've gone through EOD piles that were 8' deep after a real heavy storm and the 9 HP with the track drives chugs right through it without any hesitation. You do have to adjust your forward speed comensurate with the process rate of the type of snow you're blowing. Honda engines are smooth, quiet and powerful and IMO seem to provide more power than the stated HP.

The used Honda may have seen very light duty last year because of the mild winter so it may actually have only seen 2 winters. If you're buying from the original owner you can probably judge just how hard it was worked based on the property it was used to clear. If used comercially, who knows... We had a real hard winter 2010-2011 and I probably logged about 35 - 40 hours of use that winter. It usually takes me about 2 - 3 hours to fully clear my property after a big storm (breaks included!).

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Bill_H

Reply #5   Oct 10, 2012 12:51 am
Ctrlaltelite wrote:
Looking at either the Ariens Professional 28 ($1999) or a used 2009 Honda HS1132 for ($1700). My main concern of the Ariens is the Briggs engine. My main concern with the Honda is the maneuverability and cost of future repairs. Anyone have any input. My wife says just buy the brand new Ariens. I wouldn't mind a used Honda (even if it is 3 years old)

Go for the Ariens. That's supposed to be a very good commercial quality engine. Who knows how well the older Honda was maintained, and yes if you need a repair it will be expensive.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Ctrlaltelite

Reply #6   Oct 10, 2012 7:34 pm
Went with the Ariens yesterday and very happy I did. Think I was getting too caught up with the Honda engine part. Briggs has been in business a long time, and I'm sure Ariens wouldn't put just anything on their sno-thro's without facts backing up reliability and longevity. $1700 for a used 3 year old Honda seemed kinda crazy after thinking about it for a few days. Got me a can of DuPont Teflon Snow & Ice repellant for the chute and auger to prevent clogging. Plan on a 5-10 hour engine break-I'm before switching to a synthetic 5w30. Never thought I'd spend $2000 on a snowblower but MAN, do I feel GOOD! And can't wait to take care if that baby real good for the next 30 years. She shouldn't ever feel hungry, because here in Buffalo, there a lot for her to eat.
Ctrlaltelite

Reply #7   Oct 10, 2012 7:36 pm
Went with the Ariens yesterday and very happy I did. Think I was getting too caught up with the Honda engine part. Briggs has been in business a long time, and I'm sure Ariens wouldn't put just anything on their sno-thro's without facts backing up reliability and longevity. $1700 for a used 3 year old Honda seemed kinda crazy after thinking about it for a few days. Got me a can of DuPont Teflon Snow & Ice repellant for the chute and auger to prevent clogging. Plan on a 5-10 hour engine break-in before switching to a synthetic 5w30. Never thought I'd spend $2000 on a snowblower but MAN, do I feel GOOD! And can't wait to take care of that baby real good for the next 30 years. She wont ever feel hungry, because here in Buffalo, there's a lot for her to eat.
This message was modified Oct 10, 2012 by Ctrlaltelite
specialkkl

Reply #8   Oct 19, 2012 8:49 pm
I am in Buffalo to. Bought a platinum ariens and now kicking myself I didn't spend xtra 500 for the SImplicity. Look at the simp pro series at schaubs in west seneca. That is a machine.
bus708

Reply #9   Oct 30, 2012 9:18 am
Congratulations on your new machine. Mine is 20+ years old and runs like a monster. Always run stabilizer in the fuel and off your fuel vale to let it run out of fuel. It prevents problems. Also give it a good lube especially the axles.Change your oil after your first 5 hours, and at the end of the season. DO NOT OVER FILL THE ENGINE OIL. Briggs engines do not like an overfilled crankcase. It builds up to much crankcase pressure and will force past your seals. Spray some WD-40 all in your auger area and your shoot. It prevents rust and snow wont stick . I'm sure you will be happy with it. They are very easy to work on and are super reliable. The worst thing that happened to mine was I has to replace my drive belts once an a few shier pins . Keep a few shier pins around. Everyone brakes them from time to time. Let us know how you like it .
This message was modified Oct 30, 2012 by bus708
MN_Runner

Reply #10   Dec 30, 2012 10:25 am
Honda snowblowers are not perfect.  I had problems but they were minior issues.  First year (Nov 2009), I did have a buyer's remorse thinking who spends that kind of money on a snowblower that gets used 6-10 times a year. You will know if you have made the right decision when after a few years later, you like the way your snowblower works and remove the snow.  For me, I like the way my blower starts and blows the snow.  When I clear out the pond, it is very impressive and satisfying for me.  I just wished I had a SS so I can really buff out the imperfections on ice.  I will need to consult Borat on customizing it for high RPM operation.  A lot of people go through this decision process but you will not know whether you really have made the best decision until a few years down the road.  It is only money and it is not like I can take it with me to my grave.  Just ask trouts.
borat

Reply #11   Dec 30, 2012 12:46 pm
"It is only money and it is not like I can take it with me to my grave."

Nothing like being the richest man in the grave yard. Right?  I mean, richest "dead" man.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42