Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2 piece snowblower deflectors

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

2 piece snowblower deflectors
Original Message   Oct 4, 2012 8:29 pm

Does anyone here, by chance have a snowblower with a two piece deflector.  Similar to what's on the Yamaha YS928J.
I want to put one my Ariens.  I have the two deflectors made already.  So what I really could use are a few close up photos of
the linkage/arms that tie both deflectors together.  That allows them to move in tandem.
I have found other photos of the Yamaha's set up but none that give me a real good look at the arms.
I could probably work out the pivot points on my own.  But a few photos would sure cut down on time
involved in the trial and error method.

This message was modified Oct 4, 2012 by jrtrebor
Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Outline
hcbph1

Re: 2 piece snowblower deflectors
Reply #1   Oct 5, 2012 9:39 am
I noticed you haven't gotten any responses, plus I don't have one but a couple of things look obvious to me.

Doesn't appear to be anything more in essence than stacking 2 chute tips, obviously allowing for overlap etc.  They have a hinge on top vs using 2 bolts for a pivot and there's the spring from the main chute to the top most section.  That I assume to be to insure if one of the adjuster bolts work loose it won't droop.

I think if you set up your new extension comparable to the original and make corresponding originals you'll be in the ballpark.

borat

Reply #2   Oct 5, 2012 11:33 am
Other than being mechanically interesting, what's the advantage to a two piece deflector?  

Personally, I can't think of a snow placement issue so critical that it necssitates spliting degrees of angle to get it where it's supposed to go. 

The more hinges and joints, the more places for freezing and straining the control cable. 

Nonetheless, from pictures of your previous work, I'm certain that it will be well executed and functional. 
aa335

Reply #3   Oct 5, 2012 7:09 pm
I can see advantages the multi point deflector.  You can practically place the snow next to your feet if you want.  Also, the multiple pivot points means the snow will flow more in an arc, thereby maintaining higher snow velocity and tighter stream.

It's probably not critical for average joe snowblower.  It's always interesting to see what jrtrebor is up to modify his snowblower.
jrtrebor

Reply #4   Oct 5, 2012 9:37 pm

No real good reason for wanting to have the two piece deflector.  Just running out of things to modify or change on my blower.
(How about a sulky for it.  Like the old Gravely's had).
  I have always noticed that when the deflector is angled low.  The snow comes up the chute and basically just slams into the
deflector which changes it's direction.  An old photo of my chute and deflector but you can kind of see what I mean. 
I don't have to throw it that shallow very often, but sometimes.  I think a two piece deflector would probably improve the flow
and maybe the distance a little as well.  But who know, maybe I change my mind when it comes time to mess up a
good paint job on the chute with a grinder and a welder. 

Here is another photo of the two piece deflector on the Yamaha YS928J.
(The photos were originally posted here by rubinew)
I'm not sure but I believe that there may be a pivot point where the cable connects.
That's what I need a close up photo of.

borat

Reply #5   Oct 6, 2012 9:44 am
How about making a plastic insert that will make a transition curve from the chute to the deflector.  If you already have a liner in the chute, you can tuck  a couple inches of the plastic deflector liner behind the chute liner and carry it on up to the end of the deflector.  That way, as you adjust the deflector, the plastic deflector liner can slide between the chute and chute liner.  A piece of Krazy Karpet and a bit of elbow grease is all you need.  I'll have to look at my Simplicity to see how viable that would be.  Not that I'd actually do it.  I've got no problem with the way the deflector works as it is.  However, if I can get a couple feet more distance...........
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #6   Oct 7, 2012 7:59 pm
I would have thought that a 3 piece (or curved) chute would reduce your distance due to extra friction in the chute. The snow leaves the tip of the impeller in a straight line at maximum speed. So each time it touches the side of the chute to change direction, it loses momentum. Plus each change of direction means the stream of snow loses more momentum crashing into itself at the point of change. So is it better to have 1 or two big changes in direction or 3 or 4 smaller changes???
Anyways, not counting the cool factor, I could see value for accurate placement of the snow in crowded city locations.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
jrtrebor

Reply #7   Oct 9, 2012 8:32 am
borat wrote:
How about making a plastic insert that will make a transition curve from the chute to the deflector.

That's an interesting idea.  My chute is lined already.  So I could add an additional piece.  Or replace the current liner with a longer one.  Have to take a look at that.

"I would have thought that a 3 piece (or curved) chute would reduce your distance due to extra friction in the chute".
Friction isn't that big a factor.   It's more about the loss of velocity that takes place as the snow stream makes an abrupt change in direction. 
Angles versus curves.
Honda is now putting a two piece deflector on their HS1336I model.

aa335

Reply #8   Oct 9, 2012 12:12 pm
GtWtNorth wrote:
Plus each change of direction means the stream of snow loses more momentum crashing into itself at the point of change. So is it better to have 1 or two big changes in direction or 3 or 4 smaller changes???

It's better not to have any chutes at all.  On some huge airport snowblowers, the chute moves out of the way so the snow comes directly out of the impeller without any friction for maximum throughput.

But I think if the snow is going to make contact with the chutes, it's best to create a smooth and gradual change in direction.
This message was modified Oct 9, 2012 by aa335
longboat

Reply #9   Oct 10, 2012 11:56 am
Maybe the two-piece deflector also reduces the amount of snow falling back through the chute onto the blower/engine?  At least on my Crapsman (mtd), I get plenty of snow falling out the backside of the deflector onto the machine and icing it up in places.  I need to try the Krazy Karpet liner...
longboat

Reply #10   Oct 10, 2012 3:46 pm
This discussion brings up a thought for driving the evolution of snowblowers...

Wouldn't it be more efficient to place the chute opening on a rotating collar around the impeller?  Need to blow to the right? Rotate collar to the right.  Need to blow to the left? Rotate collar to the left.  In many cases, you wouldn't need a deflector at all.  The deflector would only be used to direct snow forward/backward of the blower when the need arose.

Maybe I'm overthinking things...

Rtravis

Reply #11   Oct 10, 2012 4:16 pm
I have the Husqvarna 12527HV which has a chute like this:

I sort of agree though, I don't understand why 2 piece shoot is necessary and on the fancier Husqvarna models its all 1 piece.
jrtrebor

Reply #12   Oct 10, 2012 11:26 pm
longboat wrote:
This discussion brings up a thought for driving the evolution of snowblowers...

Wouldn't it be more efficient to place the chute opening on a rotating collar around the impeller?  Need to blow to the right? Rotate collar to the right.  Need to blow to the left? Rotate collar to the left.  In many cases, you wouldn't need a deflector at all.  The deflector would only be used to direct snow forward/backward of the blower when the need arose.

Maybe I'm overthinking things...

I believe that some of the old Gravely snowblowers had rotating
impeller housings. 
Shryp

Reply #13   Oct 11, 2012 5:04 am
jrtrebor wrote:
I believe that some of the old Gravely snowblowers had rotating
impeller housings. 

They did. As do some of the bigger commercial ones used for airports and stuff.
borat

Reply #14   Oct 11, 2012 4:45 pm
I took a look at the chute/deflector relationship on the Simplicity.   The angle of deflection doesn't appear to be all that restrictive until the deflector is getting close to being horizontal.  I doubt very much that any type of alteration to the chute/deflector relationship would result in any real advantage other than possibly looking more sophisticated.  On the other hand, more joints means more pressure for the control cable and more places for ice to lock up the mechanism.  Simple sometimes equals better.
55utilitysedan

Reply #15   Oct 11, 2012 5:11 pm
"Simple sometimes better".........you have that right borat...........
Replies: 1 - 15 of 15View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42