Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > HP questions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

HP questions
Original Message   Feb 16, 2012 10:50 am

Jrtrebor:   “trouts2 - I agree, Bumping up the RPM on these engines does seem to be the only difference I've been able to find that explains the increase in HP.”

I’ve been curious about the hp ratings on similar engines for years.  Very puzzling.

SO:

Looking for feedback on hp production to see if I have things right.

Relative mostly to 4-7hp HSK and R*Tec two stroke engines with varying hp ratings.

It’s looking like they get their hp boost from rpm changes but I’m wondering about the mix of a few things like gas, muffler and throughput.

What effects will various things have questions like the following scenarios:

CARB/GAS MODS:

If more gas is added but the governor fixed at 3600 no change in hp will happen or if any extremely slight.  The added gas with the same air will make the engine run a little faster but being governor limited won’t make much difference.  Possibly it could make a bit more powerful chamber explosion and add some torque when running up to rpm 3600 max but being governor limited at 3600 no significant change in hp. 

A carb change or bowl nut change without upping the governor will not do much.  T/F?

BETTER ASPERATION:

Similar to gas.  If the intake or exhaust flow are improved the combustions will be more efficient the engine could see a very modest improvement in torque because of the improved combustions and the engine will spin up faster and more efficiently to 3600.  If still governor limited the intake or especially exhaust change will only get you to 3600 in a better and efficient way with a tiny improvement in torque or hp due to governor limit.

MUFFLER CHANGE:

Same as better asperation.  Thinking here of just a slightly better muffler not a “tuned pipes” type change.

Real hp changes would happen for the following while still 3600 limited: 

Larger bore, long stroke, tighter head, port change i.e. all pretty big physical changes.

Generally speaking no real change in hp will take place on an engine without big part mods. 

Most changes without changing the governor to allow faster spinning will have only insignificant effects on hp or torque.

Given a well built engine with wide latitude in aspiration and gas flow, governor changes will easily bump hp.  I’m now thinking the HSK850 and R*Tec are engines with wide latitude.  Borat, you ran your engine to rpm max and it made me wonder if gas might have been the limit like if you go there then gave it slight choke it might have spun a bit higher.  ??  It’s looking like all along from 4-7 hp for the HSK850 and 4-6.5 for the R*Tec that only governor changes were responsible for the walking up of hp.  At least that's what I've been thinking until JRT posted his crank differences.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: HP questions
Reply #1   Feb 16, 2012 5:31 pm
When you stop and think about it, it does make sense.  Most gas powered machines have a throttle.  That allows you to raise the RPM up to a manufactures predetermined safe RPM level.
(Manual transmission vehicles are an exception.  You can blow right by the red line and just take your chances). 
Engine manufactures may have known all along that their engines could safely operate at higher RPMs.  But it was just safer to set them to run at lower speeds.
Don't know any specs on other 2 cycle engines.  But weed eaters and chain saws are screamers.  They are a different animal.  But 2 cycles are capable.
Not saying you could run an Tecumseh or R-Tek at 6000.  But higher than 3600 doesn't seem to be a problem.  Toro's highest rating I believe is what 4250. 
That's an 18% increase over 3600.  An 18% increase takes a 5hp to almost 6hp.  4600 is a 28% bump over 3600 that's a lot.  That takes a 5hp to a 6.5Hp
Who knows.
borat

Reply #2   Feb 17, 2012 11:14 am
I don't think that the engine speed increase vs. power output is linear.  Although, for practical purposes, let's agree that it is. 

If such is the case, spinning the Tecumseh to 6000 rpm would mean that the engine is making approx. 9.15 h.p.   Spinning it to 6500 rpm would double output of stock setting, if not more.  I can't say for sure what the engine speed is on the HSK850 under load, but I'd be inclined to believe that it's operating between 5500 and 6000 rpm.  There is definitely an appreciable increase in power.  That's for sure.
This message was modified Feb 17, 2012 by borat
jrtrebor

Reply #3   Feb 17, 2012 8:59 pm
I would agree, engine specs as they refer to each other regarding changes in RPM, HP, and torque are never linear.  The truth is we don't really know
what the actual Specs are for any engine.  We only know what they tell us they are. 
You might like to read what it said in the B & S Operator manual for the Model 084100, 084200, and 084300 engines.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Engine power rating information.
The gross power rating for individual gas engine models is labeled in
accordance with SAE (society of automotive engineers) code J1940
(small engine power & torque rating procedure), and rating performance has been obtained and
corrected in accordance with SAE 1995 (revision 2002-05).  Torque vales are derived at 3060 RPM
horsepower values are derived at 3600 RPM  Actual gross engine power will be lower and is
affected by, among other things, ambient operating conditions and engine to engine variability.
 Given both the wide array of products on which engines are placed and the varity of enviromental
issues applicable to operating the equipment, the gas engine will not develop the
rated gross power when used in a given piece of power equipment
(actual "on site" or net power). this difference is due to a variety of factors including
but not limited to, accessories (air cleaners, exhaust, charging, cooling, carburetors, fuel pump, etc),
application limitations, ambient operating conditions (temperature, humidity, altitude),
and engine-to-engine variability.  Due to manufacturing and capacity limitations
Briggs and Stratton may substitute an engine of higher rated power for this Series engine
Bill_H

Reply #4   Feb 18, 2012 8:13 pm
Actually, if you have a tachometer, you can determine your own torque specs, and from that, determine HP. It's not difficult but it is a PITA.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
RedOctobyr

Reply #5   Feb 19, 2012 8:52 am
What do you mean exactly, Bill_H? I'm not sure what you're referring to, with determining your own torque specs. I have a tach, but I'm not sure how I'd go about determining my HP with just that. I know that knowing torque and RPM will let me calculate HP, but my question would be how you're supposed to determine the actual torque produced by the engine.
Bill_H

Reply #6   Feb 19, 2012 2:05 pm
I started to do this once for fun, but the engine wasn't mounted in such a way that it was easily accessible. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble with that particular engine, but I still want to try it someday. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Prony_brake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wi51Kf8bzA

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42