Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Would like your thoughts and opinions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Would like your thoughts and opinions
Original Message   Feb 7, 2012 10:07 pm
If you were looking to buy, or could by some chute liner material for your blower.  What would you consider to be a reasonable price to pay for a 7" by 35" liner.
Or what would you be willing to pay.   Shipping would be included in the price?  As well as stainless steel or aluminum rivets to install the liner.
I'm considering marketing some and would appreciate your input and opinions.

Some of the liner installed on my Toro CCR2450

This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by jrtrebor
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Would like your thoughts and opinions
Reply #2   Feb 8, 2012 9:39 am
borat -
Your liner looks nice.  When I installed a liner in my large Ariens it was a little tricky.  The Ariens chutes have a few curved / round, to flat transition places in the back of the chute.
Used heat as you did.  My liner ended as kind of an hour glass shape.  Has been in there for over two years now has a lot of abrasion marks but still works fine.
It nice not having to repaint the chute after every season.  Since this pic was taken, I have also put a piece of liner on the deflector.
I also noticed how your chute tappers inward from the bottom to the top. 

This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by jrtrebor
borat

Reply #3   Feb 8, 2012 9:46 am
Nice job..... as usual.

Mine doesn't exactly curve with the contour of the chute.   There's a few inches right at the apex that has maybe a 1/4" space between the liner and back of chute.  My preference was for full coverage rather than matching the curve. 

Doesn't seem to have any negative effect on tossing distance.  Personally, I think it may have improved it ever so slightly.   Particularly when throwing wet snow.
jrtrebor

Reply #4   Feb 8, 2012 10:03 am
I tweaked your photo a little in Photoshop.  You really did a nice job in contouring the liner.
Just trying to see what kind of a market there might be out there for selling liner material.
It's not easy to find, matter of fact there is no place to buy it.  If you just do a search for
snowblower chute liners.  I've got the material just need to come up with a good price point.
Snowblower parts and sales have been terrible this year.  Just hoping to come up with another
small source of income.

RedOctobyr

Reply #5   Feb 8, 2012 10:54 am
I've been trying to find a flexible carpet sled, to use as a liner. I can't find any in local stores (they all carry different kinds of sleds). And the listing on Amazon is for blue ones. Black would seem to "blend" a bit better with my orange chute (lots of random things are black. But blue would look odd). Amazon sells that sled for about $7 or so. But I would like to add a liner to help keep things from sticking, and to avoid beating on the paint. I can see a potential challenge in getting it to smoothly match the profile of the chute, however. For the various annoyances of my old MTD, I'll confess I never had to worry about this stuff, with its plastic chute
carlb

Reply #6   Feb 8, 2012 12:17 pm
I have used .020" thick Lexan sheets with good success.  The are quite flexible and strong, also easy to form when heated.  
aa335

Reply #7   Feb 8, 2012 12:36 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
Some of the liner installed on my Toro CCR2450

I would say for SS with plastic chute, I don't think there would be much of a market.  At least one the Toros' that I have, they have been holding up fine with the scuffing, plus, there's no performance increase since the chute is already slippery plastic.  If it does get too bad a shape, I would sand and buff the inside of it, rather than putting in a liner and drilling holes for the rivets.  When I can't sand and buff anymore, I'd probably just get another used one off Ebay or something.  With that said, if I was to buy one of your ideas to put a 2 stage metal chute, I would probably buy it for around $10-$15, depending on quality and thickness of the liner, rivets or fasteners, and whether it is specifically contoured for popular models.   Anyways, if the liner can be attached without drilling or metal fasteners, that would be a lot more attractive.  I prefer not to introduce new holes that is a breeding ground for corrosion, especially on metal chutes.  Stainless steel do rust.  If it's custom fit, snap in design, I would pay for it, maybe $30.
This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by aa335
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #8   Feb 21, 2012 5:25 pm
Don't want to burst your bubble, but I would think that your market would be pretty small, even smaller than the market for the Clarence kits. I wouldn't put one on any blower with a plastic chute since it is already quite slippery.
 I would be more than willing to help by supplying you a "crazy carpet" to make a liner. I could buy then ship it at cost. The only issue I see is they are seasonal items available from about Sept. to Jan. and shipping cost could be 3 or 4 times the cost of the item due to the size, unless it can be cut down a little. Could also be shipped rolled up in a tube.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
trouts2

Reply #9   Feb 21, 2012 6:57 pm
   Where's the sales pitch?   Donald Trump would "your fired" you if you brought a product to him with the marketing splash.

The US is a big country and lots lots of snowblower owners.  How many would you have to sell a year to be happy?  I would think Clarance does pretty well if he's keeping it small.  If you got a tenth of his business you'd probably need to expand out of your garage.

How would you get the word out to create the need? 

Maybe the sales pitch could be targeted to people with rusted and rough chutes.   There's lots of people unhappy with with their older blowers.  There are not so many who would just upgrade their ok chute, so a different angle than a mod for a average machine.   It's a fix for a crummy machine.

I think not so many would want to add a slipper insert but there may be many who would want to fix their louzy chute i.e not a protector, a fixer.

Your machine will never clog again with the new xxxx Slick Fix Slider.    New technology "Never Stick Surface" prohibits snow from sticking to the inside of your chute.  Throwing distance improvement up to 80% in some cases but expect on average 50%.   Why stay unhappy with your machine and buy a new one when you can "Slick Fix Slider" your machine and have it perform better than the day you bought it.   Check out the reviews and customer testimony at our website SlickFixSlider.com.  Operators standing by.  Jrtrebor, your going to be rich

This message was modified Feb 21, 2012 by trouts2
FrankMA

Reply #10   Feb 22, 2012 7:52 am
trouts2 wrote:
   Where's the sales pitch?   Donald Trump would "your fired" you if you brought a product to him with the marketing splash.

Your machine will never clog again with the new xxxx Slick Fix Slider.    New technology "Never Stick Surface" prohibits snow from sticking to the inside of your chute.  Throwing distance improvement up to 80% in some cases but expect on average 50%.   Why stay unhappy with your machine and buy a new one when you can "Slick Fix Slider" your machine and have it perform better than the day you bought it.   Check out the reviews and customer testimony at our website SlickFixSlider.com.  Operators standing by.  Jrtrebor, your going to be rich

Don't delay... act NOW!!! Order within the next 5 minutes and receive a second "Slick Fix Slider" ABSOLUTELY FREE (just pay separate processing and shipping fees).....

This message was modified Feb 22, 2012 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #11   Feb 22, 2012 12:05 pm
FrankMA wrote:
Don't delay... act NOW!!! Order within the next 5 minutes and receive a second "Slick Fix Slider" ABSOLUTELY FREE (just pay separate processing and shipping fees).....

I can see a 20-minute infomercial in the works here.  :)

"Absolutely Free"  , "Never pay another penny" , "Extend your discharge distance by ...."  ,  "be the envy of your neighbors"  ,  "be the man you always wanted to be..."  oops, wrong product. 

Operators standing by to take your order.  If you're too lazy to call in, we even got an app for that.   If you're even too lazy to do that, just nod you head for a direct brain link.  "Buy n Large" will take care of the rest.  Please note:  a $5 convenience fee will be applied to your order.
This message was modified Feb 22, 2012 by aa335
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42