Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere vs Craftsman

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
srgallan

John Deere vs Craftsman
Original Message   Jan 3, 2012 2:30 pm
Hi,

Just wanted to ask a quick question.  Someone asked me for advice on a snowblower, in their price range considering all dealers within the region most brands were out except those by MTD and AYP.  The exception towards the upper end at the price limit was the John Deere 1028E and a Craftsman professional.  So Ariens, Honda, Toro, Snapper, Simplicity are all out and the used selection is quite poor at the moment.

I don't know what is available for options in the U.S. compared to Canada but this Craftsman professional from the picture looks like it could be a Snapper/Simplicity blower?  It has the B&S engine with a cast iron gear case, steel chute and many other features.  The chute looks very similar but the bucket is 27" wide with a height of 18.75".  I can spot the MTD and AYP one's easily by looking at them by Craftsman.

Spec was similar on both with the same B&S engine (305 CC 14.5 trq) with the exception the Craftsman Professional was regular price quite a bit more and on sale for the same price and comes with more options (heated handles, power chute,.....)

Anyone have insight on who makes that particular line of Craftsman professional blowers?  Any thoughts on the 1028E by JD/F as compared to this craftsman model? 
This message was modified Jan 3, 2012 by srgallan
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
sscotsman

Re: John Deere vs Craftsman
Reply #3   Jan 3, 2012 4:42 pm
Can you post a link to the Craftsman in question?
Craftsman snowblowers have been made by everyone under the sun..
without a photo, we cant really know exactly what you are referring to..

Scot
srgallan

Reply #4   Jan 3, 2012 7:00 pm
I beleive this to be the exact one we were looking at.  According to the manual it says 19.75 inches intake height (I beleive this is what the Snapper and Simplicity units are) but it measured 18.75".

http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-professional8482-27-305cc-dual-stage-snow-blower-with-ez-steer/671-000088716-1696102?ptag=2

We did check out the SnoTek blowers online and in store.  According to the HD Canada site although they only have up to a 24" with a 208 CC LCT engine and did not see anything bigger at the local HD store without going to Ariens or Cub.  That size SnoTek might be a bit light for a country dirt driveway of near 20 feet wide and fairly long where we generally get the heavy wet snow.

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #5   Jan 3, 2012 9:51 pm
It is hard to rate Craftsman snow blowers because they change  suppliers every year .

In Canada , up until the 2012 models,  Husqvarna built their higher priced models and of course these were good machines,

The 2012 models are built by  MTD and Briggs,. The ones built by Briggs are the same as the John Deere models (except they are not green)

This message was modified Jan 3, 2012 by royster

sscotsman

Reply #6   Jan 4, 2012 8:40 am
srgallan wrote:
I beleive this to be the exact one we were looking at.  According to the manual it says 19.75 inches intake height (I beleive this is what the Snapper and Simplicity units are) but it measured 18.75".

http://www.sears.ca/product/craftsman-professional8482-27-305cc-dual-stage-snow-blower-with-ez-steer/671-000088716-1696102?ptag=2

Wow, that really does look like a Simplicity!
thats new..first time I have seen a Craftsman (probably) made by Briggs..
(Briggs & Stratton now owns the Snapper, Simplicity, John Deere and Murray snowblower lines..since 2005)
They make snowblowers based on two ancestral "platforms"..the old Simplicity "Pro" platform, for the high-end models,
and the old Murray design for the mid-level machines..
This Craftsman looks like the Murray pattern..

IF this really is a Briggs-built machine, I would consider this a definate step-up from a traditional MTD-built Craftsman!
based on the photos, in 90% confidant it is a Briggs..(but not 100%..would need to be other photos and angles to be certain)

and I dont think we have these Craftsman models in the US..Might be a Canada-only model..
Very interesting..Briggs announced just this year that they are dropping the John Deere branded snowblowers next year,
and Deere dealers will begin selling Honda snowblower instead..
Looks like Briggs made a deal with Craftsman to pick up the slack..

Scot
srgallan

Reply #7   Jan 4, 2012 9:53 am
Definetely a briggs engine, we checked them out in person and it had the briggs engine booklet.  It does seem to follow the simplicity design mostly with some exceptions.  I am not familiar with the old Murry you are referring too.  Sears also has the non-pro model that's basically identical minus the motor controlled chute and I think the hand warmers for much cheaper.  They seem well made so we are inclined to beleive in the price range we are looking at this may be his better value.

The service vs the Deere model too seemed better.  They would come to the home and pick it up or service it on site vs having to deliver it without a truck to the deere dealer.

Anyways, thanks for all the responses.  I was not aware that Briggs owned those lines of equipment now.
This message was modified Jan 4, 2012 by srgallan
Bill_H

Reply #8   Jan 4, 2012 7:56 pm
"They would come to the home and pick it up or service it on site" I believe there was a thread here last year by some poor guy who was told there was something like a 3 week wait for service. Then the part needed wasn't on the truck so it would have to be ordered THEN schedule another appointment to get it installed. Break down in January, all fixed by spring!

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #9   Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am
sscotsman wrote:
Very interesting..Briggs announced just this year that they are dropping the John Deere branded snowblowers next year,
and Deere dealers will begin selling Honda snowblower instead..
Looks like Briggs made a deal with Craftsman to pick up the slack..

Scot

Guess we shouldn't be surprised.  I wonder who's going to make the JD blowers in the future?   I'm trying to imagine the design changes that may come with the change.  It will also be interesting to see what the Briggs/Craftsman models will look like.  This only leaves Simplicity, Snapper, and Murray brands under the Briggs umbrella.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
sscotsman

Reply #10   Jan 17, 2012 8:16 am
coasteray wrote:
Guess we shouldn't be surprised.  I wonder who's going to make the JD blowers in the future?  

No one is going to make JD blowers in the future..after this year, there will be no more new JD snowblowers..

JD dealers are going to sell Honda snowblowers instead.

Scot

This message was modified Jan 17, 2012 by sscotsman
aa335

Reply #11   Jan 18, 2012 10:25 am
sscotsman wrote:

JD dealers are going to sell Honda snowblowers instead.

I have to wonder if John Deere approached Honda and say they would like to sell Honda snowblowers since B&S is pumping out ho hum machines.  Every one now knows that JD doesn't make snowblowers, and it's uncertain who makes JD branded snowblower year to year.  Doesn't bode well for customer confidence in JD.

Or is it the other way around.  Maybe Honda approached John Deere and ask them to sell Hondas since only customers with deep pockets come to JD dealers.  :)
Bill_H

Reply #12   Jan 19, 2012 9:42 pm
aa335 wrote:
I have to wonder if John Deere approached Honda and say they would like to sell Honda snowblowers since B&S is pumping out ho hum machines. 
Perfect match for JD - nowadays you have to spend $6000 & up to get anything decently made

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 3 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42