Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro CCR2500 (Model 38425) Snow Thrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
StoneDouglas

Toro CCR2500 (Model 38425) Snow Thrower
Original Message   Dec 18, 2011 8:21 pm
Need some help.  After 12+ years of no problems with my Toro CCR 2500, I broke her out of hibernation to find out she had no spark.  Tried everything except for a new ignition module, which will cost close to $100 and a few hours of my labor.  Does anyone know of any aftermarket part(s) that could help me resuscitate her.  We have had little to snow here on the plains, but I cant go back to the shovel.

Thanks,

Stone

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Greg13

Re: Toro CCR2500 (Model 38425) Snow Thrower
Reply #1   Dec 18, 2011 8:32 pm
If you have tried a KNOWN good spark plug, and you are sure the kill switch is working correctly that only leaves the Ign. module left. You could check Ebay, some times there are sellers there that have good prices. There is one on now for $20.
This message was modified Dec 18, 2011 by Greg13
RedOctobyr

Reply #2   Dec 18, 2011 8:52 pm
Could you try pulling the wires from the kill switch, to make sure it's not engaged somehow? I'm sure you know this, but the metal on the spark plug needs to be touching metal on the engine (like the fins) when checking it for a spark with the plug unscrewed from the engine. I'm curious what would change, sitting in storage, to suddenly not get a spark. Mice didn't chew through the insulation on a wire, letting something ground out, or anything like that?
borat

Reply #3   Dec 18, 2011 9:16 pm
Try replacing the spark plug cap.  If it's a resistor type cap, it may be shot.  I lost the spark on an old Elan Skidoo a while back.  Went through the wiring and found no problems.  I had a few non resistor type spark plug caps left over from my old Yamaha restorations.  I took the resistor cap off the Elan and put on a non-resistor cap and got a nice strong blue spark.   Unless you have some kind of sealed spark plug capl/lead, the spark plug cap just screws on and off. 
jrtrebor

Reply #4   Dec 18, 2011 11:52 pm
You can read the two threads below on abbysguide about spark problems on the Toro's.  Their problems where more related to heat and modules going bad.
But for the price, a new module might be worth a try if you can't find another solution to the problem.  If you do a Google search for either module there are a lot of places
you can buy them.

Sterns Mega Fire ll universal ignition module
for sale on
Amazon.com

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/23807-0-1.html
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/23807-8-1.html

Oregon makes a module as well (part #33-053)
for sale on.
Amazon.com
This message was modified Dec 19, 2011 by jrtrebor
StoneDouglas

Reply #5   Dec 22, 2011 7:52 pm
Thanks to all for the feedback.  I read the forums pertaining to the Megafire module and broke down and bought one.  I have to say the schematic accompaning the module isnt very easy to read.  I am no rookie around small engines but this thing is very confusing. Has anyone had any experience with this unit?  I tried to install but still no spark, the other threads pertained to the kawasaki engine and mine is a briggs, i wonder if these can be used on the snowblower.  Thanks again guys.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42