Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How much clearance for a "CLARENCE" ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

How much clearance for a "CLARENCE" ?
Original Message   Dec 5, 2011 12:39 am
I would like to install a CLARENCE kit on two more snow blowers. One of them is a no-brainer since there's allot of clearance.I can easily get my finger between the impeller and housing (MTD). The other one, new to me is a snapper 1132 (2005 series). What would be the clearance to necessitate adding a kit.

Replies: 17 - 26 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Re: How much clearance for a "CLARENCE" ?
Reply #17   Dec 7, 2011 7:20 pm
I have posted this many times on both forums.  I purchased my Ariens 1128dle new.

The first season we got his with heavy wet snow that quickly turned to rain. My Ariens turned into a sausage maker.  Slush would fall out of the chute like a Sweet Italian sausage and then plug.

I was discusted with my machine and ready to sell it. I put the Clarence impeller kit in and it became a new machine.

It goes through the wettest of snow, slush, and even throws water like a cannon.  Without this kit I would have sold my machine.

My Honda's throw like that right out of the factory and no need for the kit.

I have also installed them on many other machines and have never had any problems.

RedOctobyr

Reply #18   Dec 12, 2011 10:57 am
Can anyone tell me how thick the rubber is in the Clarence kit? I am going to try to make a homemade version of the kit. I have some 1/8" thick rubber sheet that I'm planning to use. If that's too thin, I can use 2 layers. That, plus some metal brackets (the flat ones with holes in them at the hardware store), and some bolts, and I should be in business. Do people typically install these, including the drilling,  with the impeller still in the machine? I assume you remove the chute, of course. It seems like it might be easier to do it in place, rather than removing the augers and impeller from the machine. This is for an Ariens ST824. Thanks.
carlb

Reply #19   Dec 12, 2011 11:27 am
1/8 might be a little thin,  you don't want something too flexible.  Also if the gap is pretty wide you would want some pretty stiff.
Yes the mod should be done with the impeller in the machine and in most cases it is easier to remove the chute.
Shryp

Reply #20   Dec 12, 2011 11:49 am
Mine was done with the impeller in and the chute off.  I don't know the exact size of the parts.

First thing I did was remove the gearbox assembly and grind down some of the weld on the inside of the top of the chute.  There was a little lip on top that stuck down.  Then I put it back together and found the sweet spot at 90 degrees from the chute where the drill would be straight down and the fan blade would be closest to the barrel.

This message was modified Dec 12, 2011 by Shryp
borat

Reply #21   Dec 12, 2011 1:15 pm
That thing is built like a tank.  No sure what you've got for an engine but by the way that thing looks, it seems it could handle some serious power. 

Good job on the Clarence kit.  Do the rubber paddles contact the the impeller housing or did you leave a bit of clearance?  I'd be tempted to put them right snug against the housing.
FrankMA

Reply #22   Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm
They look like they will wear like the paddles on a single stage. I agree, that is one serious snow machine - Nice job shryp!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Shryp

Reply #23   Dec 12, 2011 2:09 pm
The pictures show the original HM-80, that threw a rod on like the third time I used it and was replaced by an 11HP GX340 clone.  That used too much gas so when I tore it down to repaint and replace the gearbox seals I put a 7HP 212CC Predator on it.  If it is underpowered I'll go back to the 11HP as that was unstoppable.

(This is only a 24" Ariens)

The first time I did it I put the rubber on kind of tight, but second one I did I just lightly butted them up.  I don't think it is necessary to make them super tight.  I am still waiting for snow to see how it performs now.  I never did take any pictures of it repainted.

This message was modified Dec 12, 2011 by Shryp
borat

Reply #24   Dec 12, 2011 2:46 pm
Were you running the big engine at full rpm all the time? 

With that kind of power, you could probably cut back on the revs to about 2500 and still be in the best torque range.  You'll save fuel, and still toss snow respectably.  When you want to dazzle the locals, you can crank it up.
Shryp

Reply #25   Dec 12, 2011 3:11 pm
borat wrote:
Were you running the big engine at full rpm all the time? 

With that kind of power, you could probably cut back on the revs to about 2500 and still be in the best torque range.  You'll save fuel, and still toss snow respectably.  When you want to dazzle the locals, you can crank it up.

Hmm, never thought of that.  Yea, I was running full blast unless I was idling it while doing something else.
carlb

Reply #26   Dec 12, 2011 4:31 pm
you could probably throttle it back 25 to 30% and still get decent performance.  You could also put a larger auger/impeller pulley on the engine and have the same impeller speed at 3/4 throttle and still over 8hp available and have a monster blower at full throttle when needed.
Replies: 17 - 26 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42