Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How much clearance for a "CLARENCE" ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

How much clearance for a "CLARENCE" ?
Original Message   Dec 5, 2011 12:39 am
I would like to install a CLARENCE kit on two more snow blowers. One of them is a no-brainer since there's allot of clearance.I can easily get my finger between the impeller and housing (MTD). The other one, new to me is a snapper 1132 (2005 series). What would be the clearance to necessitate adding a kit.

Replies: 7 - 16 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
carlb

Re: How much clearance for a "CLARENCE" ?
Reply #7   Dec 5, 2011 7:02 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
Reducing the clearance by using an impeller kit could put more strain on the belt.  And cause the engine to work harder under certain conditions. 
But the kit would have no adverse effect on the gear box.  The kit fits on the impeller not on the augers not that,  that would have any effect either.  If the kit was fit to tight to the housing.
I would create a drag and resistance to the impeller spinning.  That would needlessly sap power from the engine.  With the engine trying to spin the impeller which was tight in the housing.
The belt would be under a lot more tension and could stretch out and or break.  But again that would have no effect on the gear box.  Wet snow is obviously heavy,  that is why a person has
to slow down their forward speed and keep the RPM up.  Your back may care how heavy the snow is.  But a snowblower doesn't. 
The only thing gear boxes don't like.  Are objects that get jammed in the augers and between the housing.  But that is what sheer bolts are there for.

If the clearance distance was a factor in your gear box going bad.  Then in theory, borat's clearance of an 1/8" to 3/16" should be causing more damage to his gear box.  Than someone else's
gear box is receiving if their impeller clearance is a 1/4" or more.  That reasoning just isn't valid. 
Having said all that.  There is a mild learning curve to using a blower with a new impeller kit installed.  When and if the engine starts to bog down, slow down.
Jrtrebor,

That is exactly the post that i was going to write but i was too lazy to do all that typing.  I couldn't agree more with you spot on assessment. 
Moderator Denis

Reply #8   Dec 5, 2011 7:23 pm
Ok guys let see it another way: wet snow enter the auger with the clarence kit installed wet snow try to reach out by forcing the belt ok, so the snow doesnt come out like fluffy, so snow become packed in the auger case, the impeller shaft is driving the auger what happen then? the brass gear is getting to tight I mean by that it's logical the gear force

jrtrebor

Reply #9   Dec 5, 2011 8:32 pm
Denis wrote:
Ok guys let see it another way: wet snow enter the auger with the clarence kit installed wet snow try to reach out by forcing the belt ok, so the snow doesnt come out like fluffy, so snow become packed in the auger case, the impeller shaft is driving the auger what happen then? the brass gear is getting to tight I mean by that it's logical the gear force

Wouldn't even know where to start to answer this.  Except to say no not right, to everything that was said.
borat

Reply #10   Dec 5, 2011 8:52 pm
I think what Denis is trying to say is that the tighter clearance impeller will experience more load with wet snow.  i think we all agree to that.  His point about the Clarence kit putting more load on the gear box is more to do with the machine being required to force more snow through the system than it would be capable of without the kit installed.  Rather than bypassing some of the snow, the kit forces the impeller to move it all.   Kind of like a car with narrow tires spinning them easily but put on a set of slicks and the load to the entire drive system is increased substantially due to the available traction.  The Clarence kit gives the snow moving part of the machine  a similar effect by increasing load.   I'm not certain that the additional load would have that much of an effect on the gearbox unless the components therein were border line and ready to let go. 
Moderator Denis

Reply #11   Dec 5, 2011 8:53 pm
If i could put on a simulation video of the thing, I could probaly be more precise on how wet snow could damage the gear with clarence kit installed, in a long term.

jrtrebor

Reply #12   Dec 5, 2011 10:36 pm
Denis wrote:
If i could put on a simulation video of the thing, I could probaly be more precise on how wet snow could damage the gear with clarence kit installed, in a long term.

A person could also put on a simulation video.  Of how to damage a gear box and how to put excessive load on all of the blower components.  By by using to fast a forward speed for the
snow conditions.  Or by plunging into an EOD pile that has chunks of frozen snow and ice.
The impeller kit does one thing.  It improves the efficiency of the impeller.  It creates a smaller gap between the blades and the housing.  So that more of the snow that is in front of the blade is
expelled out the chute on the blades first pass by the chute opening.  Can that put more load on the engine and belt than the way it came from the factory, yes.  But would that load be any greater than than trying to blow 12" of wet snow in third gear instead of 2nd or first gear?  No I don't believe it would.  I guess my point is that with or without an impeller kit a person can damage blower components by using it incorrectly.  And you see people, or hear people doing it all the time.  As I said there is a small learning curve when using a blower with a kit installed.
A person can easily shorten the life of blower components by using it incorrectly. 

The gear box issue.
Putting an excessive load on the impeller has no effect on the gear box.
The impeller and gear box spin off the same shaft.  So when the impeller slows down due to a load so does the gear box.  You can't blow a gear box because of a heavy load on the impeller.
I would go so far as to say that if you have the correct OEM shear pins installed and the augers are free on the shaft.  You can't blow a gear box period.  All the gear box does is spin the augers
which moves the snow horizontally.  That is not a tough task for a screw auger.  What happens to often is that people get the idea that a snowblower is half snow plow and half snowblower.
Anytime you feed the blower housing more snow than is has the capacity to process.  Your putting an excessive load on it.  Just listen to the engine. 
Blowing deep wet snow is like cutting long wet grass. 
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #13   Dec 5, 2011 11:26 pm
jrtrebor wrote:
A person could also put on a simulation video.  Of how to damage a gear box and how to put excessive load on all of the blower components.  By by using to fast a forward speed for the
snow conditions.  Or by plunging into an EOD pile that has chunks of frozen snow and ice.
The impeller kit does one thing.  It improves the efficiency of the impeller.  It creates a smaller gap between the blades and the housing.  So that more of the snow that is in front of the blade is
expelled out the chute on the blades first pass by the chute opening.  Can that put more load on the engine and belt than the way it came from the factory, yes.  But would that load be any greater than than trying to blow 12" of wet snow in third gear instead of 2nd or first gear?  No I don't believe it would.  I guess my point is that with or without an impeller kit a person can damage blower components by using it incorrectly.  And you see people, or hear people doing it all the time.  As I said there is a small learning curve when using a blower with a kit installed.
A person can easily shorten the life of blower components by using it incorrectly. 

The gear box issue.
The impeller and gear box spin off the same shaft.  So when the impeller slows down due to a load so does the gear box.  You can't blow a gear box because of a heavy load on the impeller.
I would go so far as to say that if you have the correct OEM shear pins installed and the augers are free on the shaft.  You can't blow a gear box period.  All the gear box does is spin the augers
which moves the snow horizontally.  That is not a tough task for a screw auger.  What happens to often is that people get the idea that a snowblower is half snow plow and half snowblower.
Anytime you feed the blower housing more snow than is has the capacity to process.  Your putting an excessive load on it.  Just listen to the engine. 

+1

borat

Reply #14   Dec 6, 2011 8:50 am
Have to agree as well regarding the gear box.  For some reason, I was thinking the additional impeller load would contribute additional gearbox strain.  I was putting the horse before the cart. 

I suspect that Denis' gearbox was likely ready to let go and just happened to do so after putting on the impeller kit. 

Is it possible to install the kit improperly balanced that could cause flexing of the impeller shaft that would lead to deflection of the worm gear inside the gear box?  
carlb

Reply #15   Dec 6, 2011 10:25 am
jrtrebor wrote:

The gear box issue.

Again,

I have to agree with Jetrebor 100%.  All of the additional load is put on the impeller, belts and blower housing bearing.  The torque is being passed through the impeller via the shaft to the gear box.  Overloading the impeller will either stall the engine or slow the engine making the auger either spin slower or stop completely.  If the impeller can not process the snow fast enough you are going to fast.  If the impeller is clogging then you would need to stop to clear it first.  In any case I have been clearancing my impellers for years using either steel plates welded in, or running a bead of weld on the edge of the impeller and then fitting it for 1/16" clearance on the blower housing and have never broken a gear box or anything for that matter.   I have blown slush, wet snow and dry snow with no problems and have never had the chute plug once. 

I wish i had video of my old large frame Snapper blowing slush more than 25' last year like a fire hose.

On my current machine which is an 11hp 26" mid 80's Cub Cadet the 14" impeller has less than 1/16" clearance on all four blades.

Carl
Moderator Denis

Reply #16   Dec 6, 2011 3:05 pm
Ok guys, I'm probaly freaking on the gear case heheheh, like Borat mentionned the worm gear was a little bit old enough to strip, so here we go, let it snow, have an happy winter all

Replies: 7 - 16 of 32Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42