Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.
Original Message   Dec 5, 2011 5:56 pm
December is here and I'm anxiously waiting for some good snow to arrive.  I've been bit by the 2 cycle bug recently.  I have the Toro 421QE, which is the 4 cycle version of the 221Q.  I thought it may be redundant to pick up a used 221Q so I've been looking into getting a Toro Powerlite.  Plus, I can hang the Powerlite up on a wall.  the 221Q is too big and heavy to do so.

Anyways, anybody got a recommendation for a compact SS two-cycle?  If not, please provide a 7 step sure fire way to cure the 2 cycle habit.  :)
Replies: 2 - 11 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.
Reply #2   Dec 5, 2011 6:57 pm
I have one for you.  Just picked one of these up this fall. It's a Toro CR20E.  The Toro Snow Master, S200 and S620 are all very similar.  And the CR20E is about the same size.
Except that it has a Power Curve auger instead of the drum type that the others have.  They all have the vanes that direct the flow of snow.  I used to laugh when I saw one until
I had a chance to use one.  They have their place.  Since they don't have a chute they never clog.  And will blow the wettest stuff you can find.  I've even blown out 2" deep puddles
of water with my old S620.  They are super light weight.  Here is a video of one working hard but not minding it a bit.  They are fun little blowers

jimbedro

Reply #3   Dec 5, 2011 6:59 pm
t the present time , I have only one 2 cycle powered machine , A Poulin 3416 chain saw. But the engine revs to 12,500 rpm,  and can do so because of its simple 2 cycle design

Over the years I have owned and operated many 2 cycle powered machines.    I once had a little Yamaha 100cc motorbike, it was 2 cyl  and had nice  chrome  exhaust pipes, on each side. It did not have a tach, but it really screamed when pushing it hard . In contrast., I once owned a highway tractor that had a (GM at the time)  Detroit 2 cycle diesel,  It was an 8/71, meaning it had 8 cyl with 71 cubic inches per cylinder.Of course these engines all had a roots type blower, only port intake in the cyl liner but had 4 valve (ohv)heads , all exhaust valves. I had lots of power, but   tougher  emission regulations drove these. engines out of production. It is much more difficult to build a "clean" 2 cycle, but I still believe that there is a lot of development  still left in the 2 cycle engine

I remember learning to drive tractor trailers in a COE Brockway with 8v71 engine. It was awesome the whine of the blower and the rhythm of the engine.

This message was modified Dec 5, 2011 by jimbedro
FrankMA

Reply #4   Dec 5, 2011 7:13 pm
aa335: Any attempt at removing the OPE gene inherent in all men is futile. Just give in to it, respect it, and move along... nothing to see here!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #5   Dec 5, 2011 8:24 pm
Right now I have aTecumseh two cycle powered 2005 MTD SS machine sitting on my deck, a 1997 Tecumseh two cycle powered Craftsman SS in the back yard (I clear a paved area behind the house), a 2010 Toro 221QE in the garage parked beside the Simplicity and a Toro two cycle power shovel sitting beside the Toro.  All filled up and waiting to go.  I've run all four two cycle engines with only the newest machine, the 221QE giving me a minor carb problem with a dirty main jet.  Cleaned it and put it to work.  All of the two cycle machines have seen some duty so far this season.  The Toro did the most work by  clearing 3" of wet snow from our 110' x18' with a 35'x35' turn around at the top driveway.   Craftsman did the back yard 25' x 35' portion.  MTD did the 16'x14 deck and the power shovel did the stairs and landing. 

I bought the MTD, Craftsman and Toro power  shovel combined for less than half the price of the 221QE.  It's nice to have a machine parked and ready to go wherever you need it.  All of the machines fired on the first pull except the power shove because it has a diaphragm carb and due to being stored dry, it needed a few pulls to get the fuel into it. 

I took out the Simplicity today and removed the bottom plate to clean the grease off the easy steer couplers and do a general inspection of the drive system.  Everything looks good to go. Fired up the Echo Shred N' Vac leaf blower as well.  Use it for blowing light snow off of the steps and deck.  I even lit up my old '87 Polaris Sprint snowmobile just to keep fuel in the carbs.  Now  that's one smoky machine when cold and it was well below zero F this morning.   Yeah, I got the two cycle thing going.  That's for sure.  And believe it or not, I'm the only guy around here with an SS machine.  I've yet to see anything but two stage machines for miles around me.   After a dump, you'll hear nothing but four stroke engines droning along but not one two cycle until I go to work.
This message was modified Dec 5, 2011 by borat
aa335

Reply #6   Dec 6, 2011 11:33 am
jrtrebor wrote:
I have one for you.  Just picked one of these up this fall. It's a Toro CR20E.  The Toro Snow Master, S200 and S620 are all very similar.  And the CR20E is about the same size.
Except that it has a Power Curve auger instead of the drum type that the others have.  They all have the vanes that direct the flow of snow.  I used to laugh when I saw one until
I had a chance to use one.  They have their place.  Since they don't have a chute they never clog.  And will blow the wettest stuff you can find.  I've even blown out 2" deep puddles
of water with my old S620.  They are super light weight.  Here is a video of one working hard but not minding it a bit.  They are fun little blowers

That little CR20 is impressive for its size.  I think that video was taken by Superbuick. 
aa335

Reply #7   Dec 6, 2011 11:38 am
FrankMA wrote:
aa335: Any attempt at removing the OPE gene inherent in all men is futile. Just give in to it, respect it, and move along... nothing to see here!

Yes, I guess it's better than drinking and gambling.  It's a whole lot cheaper than trying to make a car go faster.  My two set of wheels and tires is more expensive than all my small OPE stuff combined.
aa335

Reply #8   Dec 6, 2011 12:29 pm
borat wrote:
  Yeah, I got the two cycle thing going.  That's for sure.  And believe it or not, I'm the only guy around here with an SS machine.  I've yet to see anything but two stage machines for miles around me.   After a dump, you'll hear nothing but four stroke engines droning along but not one two cycle until I go to work.

In my subdivision, it's mostly 4 stroke, 2 stage snowblowers.  Only two of  my neighbors next to me are using 2 stroke machines.  After listening to the neighbor's Toro 221 QR for the last 3 years, I've grown to like the sound of it.  I can tell who's outside clearing snow by the sound of the engines.  There's the sound of Briggs OHV, Tecumseh 2 stroke, Brigss Rtek, and the old side valve engine.  It's quite a concert when all of the engines are running after a big storm.
borat

Reply #9   Dec 6, 2011 12:46 pm
Yeah, around here SS machines are rare.  Kijiji will list numerous two stage machines but very, very seldom to you see a SS machine.  I'm certain that I bought the last two SS machines that were listed last season.  This year, no SS machines listed on Kijiji yet.  

If you get a two cycle SS machine, modify the governor so that you can use it as throttle.  Nothing like spinning it up to 6000 rpm and pushing into a good pile of snow.  It's amazing what they'll do when they're cranked up.   Even a cheap Craftsman will bomb impressive amounts of snow when run at high speeds.  Lots of fun to do and watch.  

I was cleaning up the eod snow at the bottom of the driveway.  Not very high, maybe 16" but mostly slush.   I was gnawing away at it with the Craftsman and it was moving it quite well.  Our new neighbour came over to see what I was using and commented that he used to have a Toro CCR2000 and it wouldn't do what the Craftsman was doing.  He was actually thinking that a Craftsman SS machine is better than a Toro??  I explained that if the Craftsman were running at it's normal operating speed, it wouldn't be doing any where near as well as it was.   At normal operating speeds, it's lame.  Real lame.  Crank it up and it's very impressive.  Not sure how long it can keep it up but so far, it doesn't seem to mind at all.  I think the trick is to make sure the machine under a good load when cranking up the revs.  I like the ability to control the engine speed.   Need power?  Pull the string.   
aa335

Reply #10   Dec 7, 2011 12:05 am
Why are the 2 stroke engines rev so easily without strain?  I've been favoring the 4 stroke engines due to more relaxed RPMs, low end torque, and lower exhaust tone.  However, if these 2 stroke engines are comfortable being rev up, I might change my view on them.  How are the torque curve for a 2 stroke at higher RPMs?
trouts2

Reply #11   Dec 7, 2011 11:00 am

>>Why are the 2 stroke engines rev so easily without strain? 

Part of the reason is no cam and valves to move, short stroke, lighter components, power on every stroke,

>>However, if these 2 stroke engines are comfortable being rev up

They were designed for that and comfortable.

>>How are the torque curve for a 2 stroke at higher RPMs?

Tough to get an engine curve but generally the two strokes fall off very rapidly on the high end but designs place the useable range up there.  A high rev’ing chainsaw, wacker or snowblower can do ok up there but the fall off is into the operating range.  For example it’s no problem do buzz through an 18 inch maple with a chainsaw.

Theoretically 2 and 4 stokes have their advantages and weak points and there are many more considerations than what I mentioned above.  Just how good any machine is depends on the implementation for that specific machine.  On that point Toro has a proven record of spec’ing engines to bodies that can take the rev’s (both).

By far the best second hand machines are Toro’s for age vs wear.  The chances are high the engine is fine (compression wise) other than some minor fix and the same for the bodies.

Murray or MTD machines usually require more work and expense.  Murray machines were more difficult to get parts for and usually required more so I stopped buying those long ago.  Eventually the same for MTD although parts were no problem.  The MTD’s in the 4-5hp range were pretty good and I know a few professional clearers who prefer them.  Their smaller machines are not so great and no match for a Toro.

All engines by Briggs of a cc size are not the same.  Just what a factory orders from Briggs in an 87 or 141 cc engine can vary.  What Toro spec’s are good components..

For a “wall hanger” size SS an excellent choice would be a Powerlite.  They can take the rev’s and bumping their rev spec for short excursions not a big deal.  They’ll toss decent snow 25 feet but crap out quickly in high or wet conditions but they handle an inch or two of soaked slush.  They’re perfect for cleaning up and can be flipped around easily, unlike the more ponderous 2450 and 3650, big difference.  The Powerlite is a scrappy and fun machine to use.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42