Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.
Original Message   Dec 5, 2011 5:56 pm
December is here and I'm anxiously waiting for some good snow to arrive.  I've been bit by the 2 cycle bug recently.  I have the Toro 421QE, which is the 4 cycle version of the 221Q.  I thought it may be redundant to pick up a used 221Q so I've been looking into getting a Toro Powerlite.  Plus, I can hang the Powerlite up on a wall.  the 221Q is too big and heavy to do so.

Anyways, anybody got a recommendation for a compact SS two-cycle?  If not, please provide a 7 step sure fire way to cure the 2 cycle habit.  :)
Replies: 38 - 47 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
MN_Runner

Re: I've got the 2 cycle bug going through me.
Reply #38   Dec 11, 2011 7:10 pm
aa335 wrote:
After a while looking at CL, you can figure out which sellers are flippers and who sells their own stuff.  Flippers usually request for phone numbers and won't respond to inquiries without it.  I typically don't chase flipper ads, their prices are usually too high for what it is.

You are correct.  There are a lot of snowblower flippers especially on CL.  The Toro 221R was leaking gas really bad but the seller told me it is normal and nothing to worry about.  Then insisted that the auger rubbers and scraper bar were in top shape when they were worn out.  The guy who is selling his 928TA for $2000 must be very desperate for money as I would have hard time selling my 928WAS for that low.  I hope I can give it to one of my kids when I am at a nursing home thiking about blowing snow and waiting for trouts to find me a nice burial site.
aa335

Reply #39   Dec 12, 2011 11:34 am
Go with your instinct, if you feel something is wrong, give it a pass.  Unless you can fix it without much trouble or cost.  Depends on your comfort level.  I personally wouldn't want a complete tear down machine, nothing more than 3 or 4 hours.  I got other things around to the house to take care of so that takes precendence.

If you're going to get a Toro 221, might as well go with a QR version.   Usually, there are people moving south so they will sell off their snowblower.  I bought an HS520 from an old couple moving to Florida, there are the usual rust spots, but everything else was mechanically sound.  No dented buckets, twisted auger, ect..
This message was modified Dec 12, 2011 by aa335
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #40   Dec 13, 2011 11:53 am
I also got the 2 stroke ss bug last year & started keeping an eye open on kijiji. Wanted something like Borat to be at hand to clean off the 16 x 24 rear deck for the dogs to do their business and to do the steps & walkway leading up from the drive to the front door. Wanted something light with handles in the right place so it could be used like a shovel.
Came across a Homelite 4/20 that seems to fit the bill for $20 in the middle of the summer. For that price I could at least have some fun. The paddles are pretty warn & it wouldn't start so I ordered a carb kit. Plan to do the carb next week so I'll let you know how it goes.

https://t.me/pump_upp
aa335

Reply #41   Dec 13, 2011 12:15 pm
I was looking into those Homelite/Jacobsen 320 /420 models too.  I remember seeing those things in my uncle's garage while I was a kid.   They were very loud and smoky, or at least it seemed like it cause my hearing and smell senses were a lot more sensitive when younger.  :) 

Jacobsen has the 320 model which has the Snow Burst feature that is kinda of interesting.  It increases the RPM when additional load is put on the engine.  Not sure if is the same implementation as a governor on today's engines.  Anybody know anything about the Snow Burst?

Might go with a Toro S620, CR20, or a Toro Powerlite.  I do like how well built those S620 / CR20 are.  That will be another vintage 2 stroke / 2 smoker added to the neighborhood.  More noise and smoke in this restrictive neighborhood.  I can see property values plummetting. 
This message was modified Dec 13, 2011 by aa335
FullThrottle

Reply #42   Dec 13, 2011 6:46 pm
aa335 wrote:
I was looking into those Homelite/Jacobsen 320 /420 models too.  I remember seeing those things in my uncle's garage while I was a kid.   They were very loud and smoky, or at least it seemed like it cause my hearing and smell senses were a lot more sensitive when younger.  :) 

Jacobsen has the 320 model which has the Snow Burst feature that is kinda of interesting.  It increases the RPM when additional load is put on the engine.  Not sure if is the same implementation as a governor on today's engines.  Anybody know anything about the Snow Burst?

Might go with a Toro S620, CR20, or a Toro Powerlite.  I do like how well built those S620 / CR20 are.  That will be another vintage 2 stroke / 2 smoker added to the neighborhood.  More noise and smoke in this restrictive neighborhood.  I can see property values plummetting. 
My dad had a Jacobsen sno burst when I was a kid. I dont know how it worked but it was a manual system. It was  like a ring on the dash that you pulled out and it reved up quite a bit. Stayed reved up til you pushed it back in. Guess it was for deeper snow when you needed it. Think it said in the manual it was a 1/2 hp more. When i used it I kept the ring pulled out all the time. Seemed to work OK at the time when most people in the area had paddle blowers also.
aa335

Reply #43   Jan 30, 2012 5:53 pm
I finally found a cheap 4 or 5 year old Toro Powerlite today, less than $50, which was what I wanted to pay.  The owner said it would not start this winter.  Starter rope doesn't recoil all the way, there's about 12 inches of hanging out.  Tried pulling the starter rope, the piston moves up and down, so no sign of it being straight gassed. Without opening up the covers, the machine overall seems to be in good mechanical shape.  Rubber auger and scraper bar still useable.  She's not a beauty, but not kicked and abused.  Anyway, I got myself a little project machine to work on.  I might replace all rusted / corroded screws and bolts and restore it excellent or almost new condition, maybe a piant job.  I probably put in about $100 in parts.  Anyways, I can always flip this machine later on CL if I get bored of it, maybe get a Toro CR20 to play around with.

I will poke around cleaning the carb to see if it at least tried to run.  Any tips on taking care of the starter rope?  Any ideas on what engine model are on these Powerlites?
This message was modified Jan 30, 2012 by aa335
borat

Reply #44   Jan 30, 2012 6:37 pm
Sounds like a broken or jammed spring.  First thing I'd try is spraying the spring with WD-40 or similar fluid to see if that frees up the spring.   If the spring is broken, you'll have to pull the assembly off to inspect it.  Often, the spring breaks at the bend/notch that secures it to the center of the recoil.  I've had pretty good success just heating the spring end until it's red hot and putting a new bend in it.  If it also needs to be notched, a small grinding bit and a Dremmel tool will work well.

Edit:

This might be of some use to you:    http://redhouseon7th.com/redhouse/howto/2008ToroPullCord/index.html

This message was modified Jan 30, 2012 by borat
trouts2

Reply #45   Jan 30, 2012 7:18 pm
     It probably has a HSK600.   It would be good to review the machine before you do the pull start as it's a hassle to fix.  Plan any fixes or mods you want to do while you're in there.  You won't want to go back in again.   

Tough machine to work on.  For a cowling removal it's easier to take the engine out than remove it in place. 

BUT...once they go they stay going.  They're a great machine.  It will toss good condition snow 25 feet and average 15-20 - - not guessing I measured it.  You can tweak the governor spring post for 4500-5000 and see what you think.   It takes a bit to get used to it but as Borat says it sounds like a fast idle.   That is a very appropriate description.  I started my machine the other day and that is exactly what I thought.  That the thing was just getting warmed up and should have a throttle to get to speed.
RedOctobyr

Reply #46   Jan 30, 2012 7:43 pm
I found a reference to it having a 98cc Tecumseh 2-stroke, so the HSK600 sounds like a very good guess (those are the specs of mine). Like borat said, spraying a bit of something on the recoil spring would be worth a shot. Perhaps silicone, if you wanted to reduce the risk of attracting dirt. Make sure you don't accidentally lube the belt If the spring is just weak, or slipped somehow, you can turn the cord hub some more, to increase the preload on the spring, then wind the cord around it.

This has a much higher "specific power" than my Ariens. Both have the same 3hp engine, but yours is 16", and Ariens swung for the fences and made mine 22". Yours ought to do a lot better with full passes in deep/heavy stuff.

If you do a compression check on it, I'd be curious what you get. I got 90 psi on my engine. But it apparently has a compression release, which would lower the result somewhat.

You put $100 in parts into it already today? Wow, you're quick. Ramping up the RPMs would be worth looking into, power/weight would get even better. Nice find!
MN_Runner

Reply #47   Jan 30, 2012 10:49 pm
@aa335, wish you the best luck and a lot of fun making it new again.  I am sure you will make it very good just like your HS621.  I am just waiting for the dealer go $400 even on the 221Q.  I just have to wait a month then I think I have a good shot at the price.
Replies: 38 - 47 of 57Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42