Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
OmFlyer

John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation
Original Message   Dec 3, 2011 7:29 pm
Well I've spent a lot of time researching new blowers and came very close to bring home the JD 1330se today but got cold feet after reading about the slipping drive issues. I'd be very interested to hear any long term reviews on this unit as it appears unchanged since 2010. I do have a JD dealer 10 miles from home so prep and support should be better than a Lowes units? Also if there is another blower 30ish inches I should consider please let me know. I live in northern MI with a 150' drive see a fair amount of snow. I dont mind paying a premium for quality if it makes for years of trouble free operation. Thanks for your input
This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by OmFlyer
Replies: 28 - 37 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
OmFlyer

Re: John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation
Reply #28   Dec 5, 2011 5:00 pm
Found one. Picking it up Saturday! Ariens Pro 28 – ST28DLE
scopes01

Reply #29   Dec 5, 2011 5:40 pm

Congratulations, you made an awesome choice and won't regret it....

By the way, make sure to drop the oil after the first five hours of use. Because this is special break-in oil formulated for new engines. I first flushed my oil out with regular 5W30 oil and then re-filled again with “Mobil 1” 5W30 Synthetic oil. If your snowblower will sleep outside during the cold winter months then go with 0W30 Synthetic oil. Make sure to verify the oil in the gearbox too. It should be fine…but you never know. You can verify this by removing the oil screw on top of gearbox (read owner’s manual to identify proper screw) and using a 1/8 diameter rod not too long but long enough so it doesn’t fall into the gearbox to measure amount of oil. You should have about 2.380" to 2.630" measured from the bottom of the inside top plate to the level of the red oil L3 Synthetic severe duty gear oil. Very important, DO NOT OVER-TORQUE this screw as it is very easy to strip the thread on the cover. It should be torqued at 80lbs per inch not feet. Please post some feedback after use…Good luck! Scopes01…

Here are two links below to the owner’s & parts manual of your 2011-12 Ariens ST28DLE (926038) snowblower:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04337400B_ENG.pdf

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04337500A.pdf

This message was modified Dec 5, 2011 by scopes01
OmFlyer

Reply #30   Dec 5, 2011 8:47 pm
Big thanks to everyone who posted here! Especially; Dr Woof, your experience and input was excellent! Borat, your advice will be followed. Scopes, I really appreciate your attention to all details. Awesome! Snow is in the forecast for Friday! Thanks Again, John
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #31   Dec 5, 2011 9:11 pm
WOOOOOOOF!

borat

Reply #32   Dec 5, 2011 9:18 pm
That's a freaking coyote Woofy!    

We have them behind our house as well as lynx and "real" wolves.  I found a deer carcass in the back a few weeks ago so I put up a game camera near it.  Got daylight pictures of a lynx sitting on the kill and a coyote desperately wanting to get to it but not at the risk of a scrap with a rather large cat.   A day or two later, I got a picture of a nice wolf that likely brought the deer down.  The pictures were taken in broad daylight and only a two minute walk from our house. 
Dr_Woof

Reply #33   Dec 5, 2011 10:29 pm
They like to be scratched in the right places

borat

Reply #34   Dec 6, 2011 9:40 am
Now that's something you definitely don't want in your back yard.  Cougar have been spotted in the area and tracks confirmed by the MNR but no one has actually capture/shot one.  Wolfe, lynx, coyote, and most black bears avoid humans.  Cougars are a little different.  Being a cat, they're a bit goofy and will attack anything that they think they can take down, including humans.   Here are a few pics from my game camera:

Note times taken.  These pics were taken only two minutes walking from my back door.

The lynx is near the kill but can't be seen behind the balsam on the left.  The coyote is giving it wide berth. 

Look to the left behind the tree.  You'll see the lynx eyeballing the coyote.

Partial pic of the lynx sitting on the kill.  Coyote want's to eat but doesn't want to tangle with the cat.

I suspect that this is the wolf that brought the deer down.  Deer are often struck by vehicles and injured then they head into the woods where they're easy prey.
Dr_Woof

Reply #35   Dec 6, 2011 10:05 am
Nice pics!  Its in Minnesota?  Thats my daughter with the cougar.  Part of her job was tracking them - says there are a LOT more of them around then most people think - they just keep a low profle.  Usually.  But......every now and then.....a jogger does go missing.
This message was modified Dec 6, 2011 by Dr_Woof

borat

Reply #36   Dec 6, 2011 10:21 am
Northwestern Ontario, Lakehead area.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #37   Dec 11, 2011 5:26 am
OmFlyer wrote:
Based on the recommendations the Ariens Pro 28 seems excellent, but back ordered around here at the moment. Dr Woof and Others, Do you feel the poor performance issue with the Deere 1330 was attributed to the Easy-Steer feature? I'm wondering if the similar Snapper/Simplicity models without the Hillard Auto-lok would have the same control issues? If the tried and true trigger release works on the Snapper/Simplicity this still may be a viable option.

borat wrote:
You have to ensure the Easy Steer mechanism is fully engaged or disengaged when using it.  I use the easy steer function only to move the machine around.  Never when actually working.  After disengaging the drive to maneuver the machine you have to ensure that it fully re-engages before going back to throwing snow.  If used properly, it works well and the machine is no more difficult to manage than any other machine that has both wheels driving when moving snow.  What's important is to ensure the drive engagement mechanism has the proper lubrication.  Too thick of a grease will either slow the re-engagement or not allow it to engage at all in real cold weather.  I've got grease on mine and I'm going to be cleaning it off and will be trying motor oil.  That's what's recommended for lubing the shaft that the friction wheel slides across.  Considering that the easy steer operates in a similar manner, oil should be fine there as well. 

For those who don't know, here are some photos of the John Deere and Simplicity snow blower catalogs that illustrate the similar terminology for turning features.  I thought maybe someone would find it enlightening.

Here's the the John Deere 1330SE "Easy Steer" feature from their printed 2011-2012 snow blower catalog:

It's the Hilliard Auto-Lok differential.  Both wheels have power                                   From the specifications chart.  Bottom of photo.
as the operator turns either left or right.  Obviously, the outer
wheel turns faster as compared to the inside wheel.  No
triggers, no engaging and disengaging.

As scopes01 has already mentioned in reply #6 above, the John Deere method of utilizing the Hilliard system is different from how Ariens utilizes it.

Here's the Simplicity set-up, called "Easy Turn".   This is from the 2008 (left) and 2011 (right) printed snow blower catalogs:                           

Not a two-wheel differential; locked two-wheel drive until operator decides to pull the left         From the specifications chart.  At bottom of photo.
trigger for the above effect.               

Having seen both brands of snow blowers at dealers, I prefer the overall build, look and feel of the Simplicity models, except I distrust the electric chute functions that both brands now employ on certain models.  I think the straight-forward mechanical controls are more trustworthy.
This message was modified Dec 18, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 28 - 37 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42