Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
OmFlyer

John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation
Original Message   Dec 3, 2011 7:29 pm
Well I've spent a lot of time researching new blowers and came very close to bring home the JD 1330se today but got cold feet after reading about the slipping drive issues. I'd be very interested to hear any long term reviews on this unit as it appears unchanged since 2010. I do have a JD dealer 10 miles from home so prep and support should be better than a Lowes units? Also if there is another blower 30ish inches I should consider please let me know. I live in northern MI with a 150' drive see a fair amount of snow. I dont mind paying a premium for quality if it makes for years of trouble free operation. Thanks for your input
This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by OmFlyer
Replies: 58 - 67 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: John Deere 1330 long term review or NEW Recommendation
Reply #58   Dec 18, 2011 11:44 am
NewYorker:

When you find yourself in a hole, it's best to put the shovel down.  You'll never dig your way out of it despite your efforts.  

I've forgotten more than you'll likely ever know. 

The more you post, the more you make that abundantly obvious.
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #59   Dec 18, 2011 12:27 pm
Despite using a  snowblower with hydrostatic drive,  I still like the simple design of the friction drive, replacing the rubber drive wheel on occasion, it is a easy task.but this  doesn't  happen very often unless the machine is abused, or there is water or oil getting on the disc.

Greg13

Reply #60   Dec 18, 2011 1:55 pm
OK guys play nice. Have enough class to just drop it. It's a good thing I'm not a moderator here because neither one of you are on topic. I delete posts like those.
This message was modified Dec 18, 2011 by Greg13
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #61   Dec 18, 2011 2:26 pm
royster wrote:
Despite using a  snowblower with hydrostatic drive,  I still like the simple design of the friction drive, replacing the rubber drive wheel on occasion, it is a easy task.but this  doesn't  happen very often unless the machine is abused, or there is water or oil getting on the disc.

True enough, but having had both, I really like the ability to shift easily into the infinitely variable speeds.

New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #62   Dec 18, 2011 3:41 pm
borat wrote:
NewYorker:

When you find yourself in a hole, it's best to put the shovel down.  You'll never dig your way out of it despite your efforts.   Then why do you persist in frantically digging in this way ?

I've forgotten more than you'll likely ever know.  Despite all the latest and obvious evidence you provided, to the contrary ?

The more you post, the more you make that abundantly obvious.  Though abundantly obvious There still was no error in anything I explained, which seems to make you feel threatened.

The mechanism that makes a friction drive move a snowblower is so simple even I can explain it, as I did in that last post.  The rubber friction wheel looking as it obviously does in that photo, like a bald tire, seems to have inadvertently caused you some Great  & Terrible High Anxiety.  I promise you I never explained that to cause you to defend your perceieved inadequacy.  The post has nothing whatsoever to do with you, it is merely a simple explanation of how a machine works, as any normal person would see for themselves.  Your compulsive need to always sound off as , " The Expert "  can be treated, you should seek psychiatric help.  I'm sure they can provide some medication to help you. Or Perhaps Electro-Shock Therapy  will snap you back to reality.  I wish you luck in overcoming your affliction. Or maybe you just forgot to take your medication lately.  Keep that suicide Hotline number handy, just in case.  Don't make any rash decisions without your doctor.
borat

Reply #63   Dec 18, 2011 4:38 pm
Wow!

I'm impressed NY! 

You've gone from a  know-nothing mechanic to a know nothing psychiatrist! 

Put the shovel down!!!!
royster

Reply #64   Dec 18, 2011 5:37 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
True enough, but having had both, I really like the ability to shift easily into the infinitely variable speeds.

Yes, the hydrostatic is by far the best drive system,  I really would not want to go back to the friction disc

but  Just think how many thousands  of snowblowers  are working out there with the friction disc.  

Ariens are usually considered to be the best snowblower but they have never offered anything but the friction disc.

borat

Reply #65   Dec 18, 2011 6:46 pm
I owned two Craftsman machines for a total of twenty years.  Engines and friction disk drives were working as good as new when I got rid of them due to the chassis rattling apart and cracking at the welds.  Not once did I have to do anything to the friction drive system.  My present simplicity also has friction disk drive.  I've owned it for over five years now and it's been flawless other than when water would leak inside and get on the disk.  Fixed that problem by sealing the belt cover better.

What is truly annoying is when people condemn a simple, economical, reliable and proven mechanical system because they may have had a problem with theirs.   My machines have seen lots of hard work over the years, threw tons upon tons of snow and the disk drive never failed provided it was kept dry.   I'm certain that there are literally millions of disk drive system owners out there that share the same opinion as I yet, every once in a while, an "expert" has to tell us all that the system is junk.  
This message was modified Dec 18, 2011 by borat
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #66   Dec 18, 2011 7:27 pm
Friction disc drive system = simple mechanism
                                             occasional replacement due to normal wear
                                             works very well assuming operator doesn't abuse it (causing excessive wear due to not stopping before changing speeds, allowing
                                                  grease/oil/water to get on it, etc.)

Hydrostatic drive = more complex system, but easy enough to understand how it works
                               long-term reliability
                               infinitely variable speeds without stopping
                               expensive to replace if something happens to go wrong

Each to their own.
This message was modified Dec 18, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
royster

Reply #67   Dec 18, 2011 8:58 pm
You got that right

Replies: 58 - 67 of 67Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42