Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Advice on which snowblower to get: Toro 221Q or Toro 621R

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

Advice on which snowblower to get: Toro 221Q or Toro 621R
Original Message   Nov 26, 2011 2:33 pm
I'm looking at these two snowblowers from a local dealer:
1. Leftover toro 221q.  2 stroke engine, quick shoot, no electric start.  This is last year's model and goes for $650 + 13% tax.

2. 2012 Toro 621r, 4 stroke engine, no quick shoot, no electric start.  Same as last year's 210 model only with 4 stroke engine.  Price is $569 + 13% tax.

Any advice as to which would be better to go with?   Price wise, the 4 stroke is cheaper.  I'm not sure if the 4 stroke engine issues from the past few years have been resolved.  I'm also not sure if the quick shoot is worth the extra money? 
I looked at the electric start versions but most models are $100-120 more.

Thanks in advance for all of your responses.  Much appreciated.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
MN_Runner

Re: Advice on which snowblower to get: Toro 221Q or Toro 621R
Reply #1   Nov 26, 2011 4:32 pm
I would prefer 4-stroke engine over 2-stroke.  I think you are fine either way.  You have to change the oil on 621R once a year or have to mix gas + oil on 221Q.  Not sure if 221Q is worth $100 more than 621R.
borat

Reply #2   Nov 26, 2011 6:13 pm
I own a 221QE and think it's a very impressive SS machine.   You don't need electric start.  It's a two cycle.  Those things will start in cold weather with no issues whatsoever.  Quick chute is nice.  The two cycle R-tek engine is a proven piece and makes plenty of power.  Granted it's noisier than a four stroke but not alarmingly so.  I have to say I'm biased toward two cycle machines.  They're a very hard act for an equivalent displacement four cycle to follow.  Powerful, light, reliable and very simple.  I'd most definitely go for the 221Q.  Try throwing a lower price at the dealer for the 221Q.  If he won't go for it, pay the difference.  You'll appreciate it down the road. 
This message was modified Nov 26, 2011 by borat
superbuick

Reply #3   Nov 26, 2011 11:25 pm
I'd go for the 221 for sure. Proven 2 stroke vs unproven Chinese 4 stroke. I'm a huge 2 stroke fan and not afraid to admit it. At the end of the day you'll probably be fine with either, but no oil changes on the 2 stroke :-) And I think all the others here will admit it - the quick shoot is WELL worth it! :-)
This message was modified Nov 26, 2011 by superbuick
aa335

Reply #4   Nov 26, 2011 11:59 pm
I had this same decision to make last year, it was the 221QE versus the 421QE (now 621QZE).  Both were so close to being the same performance wise, but different enough to make deciding difficult.

In the end, I chose the 4 stroke version, because I prefer the quieter (lower tone) sound and the extra grunt it seems to have when handling slush.  I went on a limb and chose the new unproven engine.  The carburetor did develop a fuel leak, it was taken care of under recall and warranty.  In fact, the snowblower was just delivered to me this afternoon.  Besides that little hiccup, I'm happy with the decision.  That engine feels just as powerful and torquey, and sounds the same as a Honda GX160 that's on the HS621 snowblower.  Time will tell if it will hold up as well. 

Whichever model you choose is the right decision comes down to personal preference.  But definitely get the quick shoot.  This is the icing on the cake that makes Toro so desirable.  No one has ever regretted spending extra for that feature.  The electric start isn't necessary unless someone else might be using on occasion and have difficulty pull starting.
This message was modified Nov 27, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42