Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Picked up my Pro 28!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mvedepo

Picked up my Pro 28!
Original Message   Nov 15, 2011 11:11 am
This thing is a monster!  Though it's huge the balance is awesome. Also I can't emphasis enough how smooth this engine is.  Very impressed.  Can't wait to give her a go!  

This message was modified Nov 15, 2011 by mvedepo
Replies: 24 - 33 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mvedepo

Re: Picked up my Pro 28!
Reply #24   Nov 16, 2011 5:41 pm
Though I like the looks of the wider tires I think these will get better traction.  We will see.
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #25   Nov 16, 2011 5:45 pm
mvedepo wrote:
Though I like the looks of the wider tires I think these will get better traction.  We will see.

Yes, under certain conditions, the narrow tires could have better traction.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #26   Nov 16, 2011 6:13 pm
mvedepo wrote:

Narrow tires cut through snow better even if it's a car tire. Wider tires tend to ride up onto the snow which is why 4x4 mud tires are very wide, so they ride up onto the mud. My Toro has 4.8" tires and I have no problem with traction. If i take too big a bite then the front end can ride up but it still grips really well.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
stresst

Reply #27   Nov 16, 2011 8:33 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Narrow tires cut through snow better even if it's a car tire. Wider tires tend to ride up onto the snow which is why 4x4 mud tires are very wide, so they ride up onto the mud. My Toro has 4.8" tires and I have no problem with traction. If i take too big a bite then the front end can ride up but it still grips really well.

Yup thats why the old army jeep used "pizza cutter" (super narrow tires).

TORO 826OXE
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #28   Nov 18, 2011 3:37 am
mvedepo wrote:
This thing is a monster!  Though it's huge the balance is awesome. Also I can't emphasis enough how smooth this engine is.  Very impressed.  Can't wait to give her a go!  

Wow.  Nice machine.  I agree with the idea of you posting some video of the Pro 28 in action.  Also, please let us know how the ATC functions, that is, is it easy to use and to turn left and right, turn on a dime?, etc.? Thanks.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
borat

Reply #29   Nov 18, 2011 9:08 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
A video would be cool.

I'm hoping this year to be able to use myToro's joystick controlled shoot to nail those PITA chipmunks that we have everywhere. It won't kill them but I'm hoping it will make them move before they finish destroying my yard.

Yeah.......

You sure they're not squirrels?   Any chipmunks I've seen hibernate during winter.  Never seen one out in the snow yet.  Show us some pics of your winter chipmunks.  I'd like to see that. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #30   Nov 18, 2011 11:44 am
borat wrote:
Yeah.......

You sure they're not squirrels?   Any chipmunks I've seen hibernate during winter.  Never seen one out in the snow yet.  Show us some pics of your winter chipmunks.  I'd like to see that. 

Every so often you'll see one out in the winter but not often. They do hibernate but right now we have an awful lot of them prepping for winter. If you want to see a video of chipmunks right now it's easy as they are all out in force. They were out during that freak snowstorm we had last month as well. When I blow teh leaves I see a great many holes from them, sure some are probably mice and snakes but we have a LOT of munks here. If I can get a video of them in the winter I'll post it on YouTube and put the link on here.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #31   Nov 18, 2011 12:05 pm
Be very VERY careful with that.  Just look at wat happened to Mr jrtebor!

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #32   Nov 22, 2011 9:52 am
  After seeing your  PRO 28 here, I wanted to see one . I went to my Husqvarna-Ariens -MTD  dealer.   This is a large dealer with over 60 machines in the showroom,  something for everyone.

He had a Ariens PRO 32 on display.   .The  PRO32  model in Canada is powered by a Briggs 342 ,1650 torque engine.  (not Polar Force)   Surprisingly,  he only had a few  MTD machines that had Chinese engines, and he said that the Chinese engines are flatly rejected , people demand a Briggs engine.

All of the Husqvarna and Ariens had   Briggs engines,  . And the Briggs 342, 1650 is the largest engine engine available in the Husqvarna and Ariens models

Your machine with the 420 would have more power than the PRO models here.  

This message was modified Jan 15, 2012 by royster

mvedepo

Reply #33   Nov 22, 2011 2:14 pm
My feeling is that if the the engine said Polar Force by Shanghai Engines then I would be concerned.  The fact that Briggs puts their name on the engine tells me that there is quality control being done by Briggs at the point of manufacturing.  I doubt they would want to attach their name to a junk engine.  As for the Polar Force name it means nothing,  Briggs has nothing to do with that.  Polar Force is the name Ariens attaches to the engine for marketing purposes.    So don't get confused and think that all Polar Force engines are made in China.   In fact I do believe that the only snowblower engines from Briggs are AREN'T made in China are the 305 and 342.  If that is wrong I am sure Snowman will set it straight. 
Replies: 24 - 33 of 43Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42