Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 221QE Didn't run right after storage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Toro 221QE Didn't run right after storage
Original Message   Nov 15, 2011 1:32 pm
So I mixed up a fresh batch of 40:1 fuel, filled the 221QE and fired it up.   It fired on the first pull then stopped.  I primed it some more, put the choke on full and fired it up again.  It ran fine but when I took the choke off, it slowed down to about 1/3rd it's operating speed.  Put the choke back on and it revved up to what sounded like normal operating speed.   I kept the choke on and let it run like that for a minute or so thinking the fuel system needs to be fully charged.  However, that wasn't the case.  I stopped the machine, tilted it forward, removed the float bowl and inspected it.  Nice and clean.  Then I pulled the main jet to inspect it.  I could see light through the orifice but wasn't sure of how big of a hole should be there.  You never know with jets.  Nonetheless, I ran a piece of thin wire through it then blew it out with compressed air.  I also blew out the passage in the carb where the jet goes.  After cleaning the jet, I took a good look at the orifice.  The amount of light passing through it indicated It was much larger after cleaning.  Approx. 2/3rds larger than when it was restricted.   Compared to many carbs I've worked on, It does have a rather large orifice. 

The strange thing is that I bought this machine new less than a year ago.  I ran it completely out of fuel before I stored it yet it still managed to develop enough varnish in the main jet to cause problems.  Go figure?  That's the first time I've had that kind of a problem with my own equipment.  I still have the two Tecumseh powered machines to fire up yet.  I'll  let you know how they fared. 
Replies: 10 - 19 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Toro 221QE Didn't run right after storage
Reply #10   Nov 15, 2011 7:46 pm
One little issue in all these years is insignificant.  The 221Q is super easy to work on.  The carb has a little access door.  Tilt the machine forward, remove the access door, pull the float bowl, pull the jet, clean it and put everything back together.  Less than 10 minutes.  Tools needed one medium sized philips screw driver to open the access door, one 5/16th" wrench to remove the float bowl bolt and one mediium small flat screw driver to unscrew the jet.   Very simple.  
ralphfr

Reply #11   Nov 15, 2011 7:57 pm
Thanks for the information Borat. Hopefully I won't have to go that route at least until the warranty runs out.
stresst

Reply #12   Nov 15, 2011 8:42 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
I am not sure why certain blowers start and run without any issues and some do.  My HS35 is at least 20 years old and the sparkplug was rusted out but started on first or second pull. I am sure the gas is a few years old.  After the sparkplug change and with old gas, she starts on first pull and runs really smooth. I have not been picky on gas and had no issue thus far using 10% 87 octane gas grade.

For some reason I ran into the same issues with my ATV's. seems the newer ones almost always have issues. While a 86 Honda 250 and 1992 Bayou always start up! I never run them dry or even shut the gas valve off. Then I have newer atv's that the carbs need servicing every other year or so! Friggen ridiculous!

TORO 826OXE
Moderator Denis

Reply #13   Nov 15, 2011 10:58 pm
Hey Borat my buddy how are you these days?, well I'm surprised for all thoses years you've been handling your machines like the king of the strokes...I think you just got a "citrus" It happens, probaly someone before you cleaned the jet the wrong way and bust something inside the carb there. I'm sure if you can get a used carb it will fix the problem. Once I had a similar problem
This message was modified Nov 16, 2011 by Denis

MN_Runner

Reply #14   Nov 15, 2011 11:05 pm
I do not remove any gas from my Honda lawnmower or Honda snowblower after the season is over.  I have yet to have any starting issue.  My lawnmower and snowblower start without any issue - nothing to change or clean.  Maybe ignorance is a blessing.
bus708

Reply #15   Nov 16, 2011 7:28 am
I tried to convence everyone that draining one fuel tank does not prevent any carb problems.  Gas today has water in it. Draining until it cuts off only drains enough fuel to stop the engine. The rest settles and messes up your bowl, jets and valves. I put fuel stabilizer in mine All the time. my Techumseh NEVER  fails me even after 15+ years. If you still want to drain your bowl. Run Stabill through it for 5-10 min to make sure it is through your carb.
carlb

Reply #16   Nov 16, 2011 8:40 am
I have drained the fuel tank on all of my small engine powered equipment (which is never less than 7 engines) in the following manner for the last 30+ years.  I remove the fuel line from the carb and drain all of the fuel out of the tank. I then blow compressed air into the tank to get any remaining gas out of the tank.  I loosen the bowl nut the allow all of the fuel to drain from the carb, re-attach the fuel line and replace the gas cap loosely.  I use this same procedure on all of my small engines and none have ever failed to start right up the following year. 

On engines with metal gas tanks i spray a mist/fog of wd40 into the tank to coat the inside.  I also change the oil and then with spark plug out i put a couple of squirts of motor oil through the spark plug hone and pull the engine over a few times to coat the cylinder.   Lastly I pull the cord until the engine is on Top Dead Center with both valves closed (compression stroke) and then i replace the spark plug. 

These measures only take a couple of minutes to do on each engine and in my opinion have saved me from the potential issue of varnishing. with the exception of the snow blower I do all of them at the same time normally on a cool November day after all of the summer use for these items are done.

My backup generator is a hybrid that runs on Natural gas and diesel so that does not require any maintanence on the fuel side,  Just oil changes and air filters when necessary.
This message was modified Nov 16, 2011 by carlb
borat

Reply #17   Nov 16, 2011 9:30 am
Denis wrote:
I'm surprised Borat my buddy how are you these days?, well I'm surprised for all thoses years you've been handling your machines like the king of the strokes...I think you just got a "citrus" It happens, probaly someone before you cleaned the jet the wrong way and bust something inside the carb there. I'm sure if you can get a used carb it will fix the problem. Once I had a similar problem

Hi Denis. 

The carb/engine is fine now.  Fired it up and it ran great after cleaning the main jet.  All is well here.  Just waiting for snow.  Got a dusting last night but need a real serious dump.  Got the snowmobile in the garage all set to go and been clearing brush off of the trails.  Just need snow.  NOW!
ralphfr

Reply #18   Nov 16, 2011 11:53 am
Since I am now thinking I should leave  fuel in my OPE for storage and as I have both 2 and 4 stroke engines I have another question. Will the 2 stroke mix separate and cause isses with the fuel left in the equipment ? Thanks.
MN_Runner

Reply #19   Nov 16, 2011 6:36 pm
I have another friend who could not get his Toro 421QR started since using it this spring.  Granted he has one more year remaining on the warranty but for most people this is a real pain in the neck. Not everyone is as talented as Borat or the Graveyard Blower (i.e., trouts).  This is why I got really frustrated with Toro lawnmower and have yet to buy another Toro OPE.
Replies: 10 - 19 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42