Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 221QE Didn't run right after storage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Toro 221QE Didn't run right after storage
Original Message   Nov 15, 2011 1:32 pm
So I mixed up a fresh batch of 40:1 fuel, filled the 221QE and fired it up.   It fired on the first pull then stopped.  I primed it some more, put the choke on full and fired it up again.  It ran fine but when I took the choke off, it slowed down to about 1/3rd it's operating speed.  Put the choke back on and it revved up to what sounded like normal operating speed.   I kept the choke on and let it run like that for a minute or so thinking the fuel system needs to be fully charged.  However, that wasn't the case.  I stopped the machine, tilted it forward, removed the float bowl and inspected it.  Nice and clean.  Then I pulled the main jet to inspect it.  I could see light through the orifice but wasn't sure of how big of a hole should be there.  You never know with jets.  Nonetheless, I ran a piece of thin wire through it then blew it out with compressed air.  I also blew out the passage in the carb where the jet goes.  After cleaning the jet, I took a good look at the orifice.  The amount of light passing through it indicated It was much larger after cleaning.  Approx. 2/3rds larger than when it was restricted.   Compared to many carbs I've worked on, It does have a rather large orifice. 

The strange thing is that I bought this machine new less than a year ago.  I ran it completely out of fuel before I stored it yet it still managed to develop enough varnish in the main jet to cause problems.  Go figure?  That's the first time I've had that kind of a problem with my own equipment.  I still have the two Tecumseh powered machines to fire up yet.  I'll  let you know how they fared. 
Replies: 31 - 40 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
blumonster

Re: Toro 221QE Didn't run right after storage
Reply #31   Nov 17, 2011 5:15 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm not fond of the new Honda 35cc trimmer.  The head is plastic, and the hard plastic handle has a lot of sharp flash.  Crappy injection molding.   You can see that time has stood still for Honda trimmer, no improvements, just cost reduction measures.  Stihl and Echo has better trimmers, with soft overmolded handles.

My father has the a 10 year old Honda trimmer (32cc)  with cast metal head and it's just perfect.  The engine was easy to start, quiet, and so smooth.  This is the one that I want, they don't make them anymore.

We can always go craigslist hunting. :D
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #32   Nov 22, 2011 10:23 pm
I use white gas with stabil in all my small engine machines.  I drain them when finished, and have no problems.  Stabilized gas should be O-K for a year max.  I use the stuff up at least every 6 months.  BP-AMOCO premium is white gas.  After 11 years I had to wash and blow out the carb on my Little Wonder Leaf Blower.  It has a Honda GX270 engine rated at 9 HP.   The dirt from blowing leaves tends to get into everything eventually no matter how carefully you try to store it.  Once i did the carb clenaer it again ran like new.
ralphfr

Reply #33   Nov 23, 2011 1:06 pm
Hello fellow Long Islander. I haven't heard the term "white gas" in years! I remember my father talking about it and the only place to get it was at an Amoco station which I believe is now owned or partnered with BP. This was in the days of leaded gasoline so I'm wondering what was the difference between Amoco's premium and the others? Do you remember?

You're scaring me with the idea of needing a snowblower with a 16" auger here on Long Island.     Is there something we should know about this upcoming winter??? 

MN_Runner

Reply #34   Nov 23, 2011 1:55 pm
I have yet to see any picture of New_Yorker's snowblower.  If he is truly using white gas then he has a white Honda snowblower too.  Perhaps you guys can have a play day for your snowblowers in Long Island.  It would be great if you can take a picture of New_Yorker's white Honda snowblower.
carlb

Reply #35   Nov 23, 2011 2:07 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
I have yet to see any picture of New_Yorker's snowblower.  If he is truly using white gas then he has a white Honda snowblower too.  Perhaps you guys can have a play day for your snowblowers in Long Island.  It would be great if you can take a picture of New_Yorker's white Honda snowblower.

I think it uses stealth technology and may not be able to be photographed.
ralphfr

Reply #36   Nov 23, 2011 4:09 pm
Found the answer to the white gas question. Apparently this was the first gasoline manufactured without lead or red/orange dye. It was big with muscle car owners in the 60's and early 70's. I thought the older engines needed lead to lubricate the valves. Guess not. My father bought a '67 FairlaneGT with a 390cid v8 as a mid-life crisis toy so that's probably why I recall hearing about it.
borat

Reply #37   Nov 23, 2011 4:11 pm
ralphfr wrote:
Found the answer to the white gas question. Apparently this was the first gasoline manufactured without lead or red/orange dye. It was big with muscle car owners in the 60's and early 70's. I thought the older engines needed lead to lubricate the valves. Guess not. My father bought a '67 FairlaneGT with a 390cid v8 as a mid-life crisis toy so that's probably why I recall hearing about it.

That's why it needs "white gas".  Any other fuel will give it away.  Wonder if it uses white oil too.  Maybe melted whale lard??? 
ralphfr

Reply #38   Nov 23, 2011 4:36 pm
borat wrote:
That's why it needs "white gas".  Any other fuel will give it away.  Wonder if it uses white oil too.  Maybe melted whale lard??? 

What does that even mean?
blumonster

Reply #39   Nov 23, 2011 4:37 pm
borat wrote:

Not exactly lard but maybe G oil :D
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #40   Nov 23, 2011 5:16 pm
I don't want to get in the middle of this but for the record back in the day (1960s) Amoco High Test was referred to in New York as "white gas". I used it in my 2 stroke 175CC Jawa motorcycle. Urban legend said it made 2 strokes run better. If you used it in your car or 4 stroke motorcycle the station used to sell an additive called "Top C Lube". Street racers used to use Sunoco 260 from a pump that had a dial with different grades. The Sunoco was a blend but again urban legend" had it that the Sunoco station on Northern Boulevard near Connecting Highway had a doctored pump. Supposedly you got pure 260 which was rumored to be 102 octane. Guys would drive from all over to fill up at that station. High test was expensive, 36.9 cents a gallon, minimum wage was $1.25,White Castles were 12 cents and McDonalds (if you could find one) was 15 cents. No one ever called White Castle burgers a 'Slider". They were known as belly bombers and were always served drive In style by Car Hops. Those were some wonderful times!!! Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 31 - 40 of 40Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42