Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)
Original Message   Nov 10, 2011 10:35 pm
Finally got the electrical straightened out, I hope (with help from some on this board)
and finished up everything else.

Removed the 11hp Honda clone engine that I put on last year and replaced it with a 13hp Honda GX390
with a 10A lighting coil.  Rewired everything.  Added a stainless shield on the front of the blower
Still have to get a new battery.  And hose it down with Fluid Film. But other than that it's ready to go.
Had some snow and sleet today.

Serrated the Augers.  Replaced the auger shaft bushing setup with flange bearings
Replaced the impeller bearing.  Gave everything a fresh coat of paint.

Tapered the deflector 3/8" on both sides to tighten up the stream a little

Fabricated a new belt cover.

Modified the starter cover to cover the Rectifier and wiring.

Removed the old steel shields on the front of the chute and replaced them with stainless ones.
When I had the wheels off I realized that I could thread in some 1/2 bolts from the back side of the
wheel plate to make studs.  Then use car lug nuts to hold the wheels on.  Now all the threads are protected from the
weather inside the lug nuts.  I'm keeping my eyes open for a pair of cheap 8" moon hub caps.

This message was modified Nov 10, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 44 - 53 of 58Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Re: Ariens Modified & Repowered 1032 (pics)
Reply #44   Nov 15, 2012 11:10 am
I wonder if either of your gentlemen would be kind enough to provide us with the distance between the tip of each tooth and the depth of the valleys?

Thanks

https://t.me/pump_upp
Moderator Denis

Reply #45   Nov 15, 2012 5:29 pm
Wow! love that machine, wished I could try this now, a touch of class congradulation for the super work. Denis

coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #46   Nov 22, 2012 2:36 am
GtWtNorth wrote:
I wonder if either of your gentlemen would be kind enough to provide us with the distance between the tip of each tooth and the depth of the valleys?

Thanks

I just happened to see this old post near the top of the list of threads, then saw your post.  I got out my cardboard template that I used at Home Depot to measure an Ariens Platinum 30 blower to give you the measurements you were asking about.

The "valleys" are .5 inch.  From "tip to tip" it is 2.5 inches.  Also realize that the "tip" has that little flat spot, which is, interestingly enough, also .5 inch.  They could have designed it to be at a right angle, but this looks better.  I'm counting from where each valley comes back up to the top, ignoring that little flat spot.  I hope what I just said is clear.

You should do the same thing we did by taking a small piece of cardboard into Home Depot, find a Platinum 30 blower, and take your pencil or pen to trace it.  Hold the cardboard very tightly behind or in front of the auger and then draw carefully without letting the cardboard slip at all, and you should have no problem.  My piece of cardboard is 10.5 inches long and 4 inches high.  I then cut it out with scissors so my son and I could trace the pattern onto his auger with a silver grease pen. 

To be honest, the Platinum 30 auger is slightly bigger than the auger on my son's Ariens ST824.  However, when  applying the template to his auger, we just sort of rotated the template a tiny bit when needed as we went along to accomodate the difference.  It doesn't have to be an exacting rocket-science kind of thing, but believe me, it came out really well. 

Hope this helps.  Let us know what happens if you're entertaining the idea of converting your auger.

Here's the original thread that started me on this project:  http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/59639-0-1.html
This message was modified Nov 25, 2012 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
erock1

Reply #47   Jan 4, 2014 4:27 pm
Happy New Year.  I am a brand new member here.  Your machine in particular caught my eye.  Was thinking of doing some modification to my blower chute similar to your first metal shields that you experimented with.  I was wondering what your impression was of that setup as opposed to your current stainless setup ??   What do you think of a one-piece covering, verses an open channel down the center, such as you have ??  Did either modification induce any new flexure or vibration points ??   What an incredibly neat job you did on that !!!  Congrats !!!
-Eric
jrtrebor

Reply #48   Jan 4, 2014 7:59 pm
erock1 wrote:
  What do you think of a one-piece covering, verses an open channel down the center, such as you have ??  Did either modification induce any new flexure or vibration points ??   What an incredibly neat job you did on that !!!  Congrats !!!
-Eric

I eventually went with the stainless because it will never chip like the paint would have.
No rusting and it looks nice.
A one piece shield would be harder to make.
But the big reason it that with the two piece you can easily remove a
clog if one ever develops.
Simply shove your fingers into the clog at the bottom and lift up.
It will slide right out of the chute.

I've also noticed that the snow and ice doesn't stick to the stainless.
Like it sometimes does to a painted surface.
It's really noticeable with the piece of stainless lining the blower housing.
No vibrations.
Thanks for your comments
niper99

Reply #49   Jan 4, 2014 11:31 pm
NICE WORK!!
tbe55

Reply #50   Jan 18, 2015 11:07 am
Thank you for sharing your fantastic work! I am thinking about getting one of this machine or a ST1236 to clear snow on our neighborhood pond for the kids to skate on. I would like to be able to throw the snow as far as possible so that I can get the work done in a single run. I've heard that the big machines throw snow better when more snow are fed into the auger house. What is your experience with your machine on shallow snow? Can it throw 1-2 inch snow far? You mentioned that you replaced the auger flank bushing with bearings. What is the part you used? Thanks
jrtrebor

Reply #51   Jan 18, 2015 1:22 pm
tbe55 wrote:
Thank you for sharing your fantastic work! I am thinking about getting one of this machine or a ST1236 to clear snow on our neighborhood pond for the kids to skate on. I would like to be able to throw the snow as far as possible so that I can get the work done in a single run. I've heard that the big machines throw snow better when more snow are fed into the auger house. What is your experience with your machine on shallow snow? Can it throw 1-2 inch snow far? You mentioned that you replaced the auger flank bushing with bearings. What is the part you used? Thanks

Thanks you, and your welcome.
Most blowers will throw their furthest when they have an adequate amount of snow being fed to the impeller
But too much and they can get lugged down.
With a 2 stage that has multiple forward speeds. You can offset the problem
with having only a couple of inches by traveling faster with the blower.
You also have to run the engine at full throttle to get the farthest throw.
Here is a video of my blower throwing about five inches using fifth gear.
Ariens 1332

I used "Flange bearings" you can find them on ebay or other places.
Mine look like this.
Flange bearing

This message was modified Jan 18, 2015 by jrtrebor
tbe55

Reply #52   Jan 23, 2015 11:32 am
I have chances to get a older ST1032 for $250 or a relatively newer old ST1236 for $400. For either one, I probably will swap the stock engine with a 13hp harbor freight engine and do other modification as you did. Do you have any recommendation for which one to take? Thanks. http://janesville.craigslist.org/grd/4843382987. html http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/4817058304.html
This message was modified Jan 23, 2015 by tbe55
trouts2

Reply #53   Jan 23, 2015 1:34 pm
   Went through the post again, great machine.  I watched the two videos again.  Nice to see that thing work out.
Hub caps are a good idea, eliminate slop in the garage.  The red bolt caps are a super touch. 

With a Tecumseh the battery is useful but with the updated Honda not so much.  Maybe you can attach
a coffee maker on the platform. 

I've looked at many youtube snowblower makovers and yours is about the cleanest and most well done of
them all.
Replies: 44 - 53 of 58Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42