Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Does HP Matter?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

Does HP Matter?
Original Message   Nov 7, 2011 7:02 pm
I have a 15 year old Ariens . ST 924. It came with a 8 hp Techumseh. I'm planning to retiring the engine .  Which is better  a Subaru Robin sx30  with 9.5 hp 4000 rpm max , a Honda GX 390. or a 305 Briggs?  The Subaru does not give me as much  HP as the Honda, but I get more rpm. If i put Clarences kit on my unit then is will be even better. The Briggs is the cheapest , but I do not really know its power output They only tell me 305 cc and 13.5 lbs of torque. My Techunseh is a 318 cc so I guess the 305 Briggs is close to 8 HP. I prefer 12 volt electric start. The biggest Briggs is there 342 16.5 I was considering that one too.
This message was modified Nov 7, 2011 by bus708
Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Shryp

Re: Does HP Matter?
Reply #14   Nov 11, 2011 5:22 am
Here is an 11 HP Honda GX 340
Peak HP at 3600 RPM, Peak Torque at ~2400 RPM.
Most engines have similar torque curves.

manjestic

Reply #15   Nov 11, 2011 9:35 am
coasteray wrote:
Do these figures seem good, realistic?  I think so.   The only thing I'm not sure about is that I've read that torque is supposedly measured at 3060rpm instead of 3600rpm.  Assuming that's the case, then how could we plug in a torque figure based on 3060rpm into a formula assuming 3600rpm, and expect a decent result?  That would change the above horsepower formula to a higher final result, assuming the torque keeps climbing all the way to 3600rpm.  Doesn't it peak out before that on these engines?   The torque formula is based on 3600 since we didn't start with a torque figure to begin with, so my result of 14.58 ft-lbs for my Tecumseh engine is based on the horsepower figure and 3600rpm.  And we assume horsepower is calculated on 3600rpm, anyway, so that 14.58 torque number seems to be right.  Also, assuming that a 358cc L-Head is equal in torque/horsepower to a 305cc OHV, that 14.58 is mighty close to the 14.50 figure we get from today's Briggs 305cc engines.  After all, the Briggs 305cc replaced the Tecumseh 358cc on the Toro 1028 (LXE going to OXE).  I hope I'm not losing anyone on this.  I find it interesting.

Careful.  HP is a function of RPM and torque at that RPM.  And peak torque and peak HP rarely, if ever occur at the same RPM.  Many times the peak torque occurs well below 3600 RPM.  See the example chart above.  I don't know what constraints manufacturers are under when reporting torque.  Probably, they can report peak torque at whatever RPM it occurs.

So, as you essentially state, it is key that you know at what RPM your torque value occurs.  Then you can calculate the HP at that RPM, but not necessarily peak HP.  If you know that your 14.5 torque is at 3060, then your HP is 8.44 at 3060.  Peak HP may be higher at 3600 RPM.  You appear to come to the same conclusion.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #16   Nov 12, 2011 9:53 am
Honda Engines come with sediment cupsfuel shutoff, a throttle (most new machines no longer have a throttle the way your 15 year old machine did, and the B&S engine is probably made in China by coolies.
bus708

Reply #17   Nov 14, 2011 1:33 pm
manjestic wrote:
Careful.  HP is a function of RPM and torque at that RPM.  And peak torque and peak HP rarely, if ever occur at the same RPM.  Many times the peak torque occurs well below 3600 RPM.  See the example chart above.  I don't know what constraints manufacturers are under when reporting torque.  Probably, they can report peak torque at whatever RPM it occurs.

So, as you essentially state, it is key that you know at what RPM your torque value occurs.  Then you can calculate the HP at that RPM, but not necessarily peak HP.  If you know that your 14.5 torque is at 3060, then your HP is 8.44 at 3060.  Peak HP may be higher at 3600 RPM.  You appear to come to the same conclusion.

That just does not seem right. torque with out HP behind it is useless . My 1" 1800 ft lb impact wrench has more torque than my wifes 2.3 engine in her car. If torque was the only factor then i could power my wifes car with my torque wrench. I DON'T THINK SO
manjestic

Reply #18   Nov 14, 2011 1:50 pm
bus708 wrote:
My 1" 1800 ft lb impact wrench has more torque than my wifes 2.3 engine in her car. If torque was the only factor then i could power my wifes car with my torque wrench. I DON'T THINK SO

Measure your impact wrench's RPM under load.  Then we'll talk. 
This message was modified Nov 14, 2011 by manjestic
bus708

Reply #19   Nov 14, 2011 2:18 pm
I get 20 rpm full load   1800 x 20/ 5252= 6.8 hp    at 1 rpm stall speed i get  .34  hp which is nothing
Bill_H

Reply #20   Nov 14, 2011 5:18 pm
bus708 wrote:
I get 20 rpm full load   1800 x 20/ 5252= 6.8 hp    at 1 rpm stall speed i get  .34  hp which is nothing
You say your wrench is rated at 1800 ft. lbs. -- but at what RPM? You have to know the rated torque at RPM to determine HP. I suspect that 1800 is stall speed torque.
HP doesn't drive torque, it's the other way around.

BTW, 1/3 HP isn't nothing, look at the rating of the motor in your drill press. Nothing compared to an auto engine, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower#Relationship_with_torque
This message was modified Nov 14, 2011 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #21   Nov 17, 2011 5:15 pm
  Referring to cars, Dan Gurney  said :  "   If 200 horsepower was good and 300 horsepower was too much, then 400 horsepower would be about right. "

My   Chrysler  300c  SRT8 is rated at 425  horsepower and it is about right.

This message was modified Nov 17, 2011 by royster

New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #22   Nov 18, 2011 8:21 pm
The Tecumseh 9 HP was not as powerful as a Honda GX 270 which comes in about 8.5 HP.  IF the friction wheel and drive plate can be made to transfer the power and not slip from 15 years of wear, this would be a wise choice.  The problem is the 15 years will have taken their toll on the friction wheel, and the drive plate making that unlikely at best.   The power is useless if it doesn't transfer to the wheels, that is what you need to concentrate on after 15 years.
carlb

Reply #23   Nov 19, 2011 9:41 am
New_Yorker wrote:
The Tecumseh 9 HP was not as powerful as a Honda GX 270 which comes in about 8.5 HP.  IF the friction wheel and drive plate can be made to transfer the power and not slip from 15 years of wear, this would be a wise choice.  The problem is the 15 years will have taken their toll on the friction wheel, and the drive plate making that unlikely at best.   The power is useless if it doesn't transfer to the wheels, that is what you need to concentrate on after 15 years.

90% of the horsepower is used to move the snow and only about10% or less to move the machine.  If a human could push the machine into the snow that would be one person power.  The only time the drive system will see a lot of stress is if the operator tries to go to fast into too much snow.  If the operator uses the machine properly and matches the ground speed to the blowers ability to move the amount of snow in front of the blower the friction drive will see very little stress. 

If the operator goes too fast into more snow then the blower section can handle then the blower becomes a snow plow and not a snow blower. 

I put a GX340 on an old 80's Cub Cadet 8/26 that originally came with an 8hp tec flat head and it still has the original friction disk.  If you try to hold it back on dry pavement it will pull you down the driveway or if you can get a good enough grip on it it will spin the tires on dry concrete but the friction disk does not slip.

I would not have any concerns putting a gx270 in place of an 9hp tech flat head.

Carl
Replies: 14 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42