Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with new Ariens snow blower gear case

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
zavdavpam

Help with new Ariens snow blower gear case
Original Message   Nov 5, 2011 11:53 pm
Just picked up my new Deluxe 30 blower.  Like the manual said to, I checked fluid levels before trying to start it.  The manual clearly states to not overtighten the gear case fill screw so I used a torque wrench to get it right.  Well, me or the wrench "screwed" up and I stripped the thread.  I removed the cover to the gear case (which the manual advised against) to see if I could see and remove any shavings that fell into the case.  I couldn't  see any but it's likely that some got in and I are just too hard to see.  I have two questions:

1. The manual states that if the thread is stripped then the warranty is voided.  Is it just the warranty for that part?  If I install a new cover how would they even know?

2. If there are any shavings that did get in, they are small and few.  Is that a problem for the gears?

Any help is appreciated.  Spending $1400 on a new machine and then messing it up about an hour later is not fun.

Dave

Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Help with new Ariens snow blower gear case
Reply #1   Nov 6, 2011 1:15 am
zavdavpam wrote:
  If I install a new cover how would they even know?

2. If there are any shavings that did get in, they are small and few.  Is that a problem for the gears?

Any help is appreciated.  Spending $1400 on a new machine and then messing it up about an hour later is not fun.

Dave

They probably wouldn't know.  Unless you sometime had a problem with the gear box they wouldn't even look at it if they were doing other repairs.
I'm assuming the bolt is steel and the housing cover is aluminum. If so, any threads you stripped out are probably going to be aluminum.
And a lot of the time the stripped threads end up stuck in the threads of the bolt itself.  Even if some of them did drop into the case.
The gears in the case are hardened steel.
I would suspect that if a piece of thread ran through the gears they would simply crush the aluminum.  Or just pass right through.  As light as the pieces would be
they could simply stick somewhere in the case and stay there. 
I assuming the case doesn't have a drain plug?
If your really concerned and there isn't a drain plug.  As good as the access is to the inside of the case.  You could by a large syringe or hand vacuum pump and suck out as much
of the lube as you can then refill it.  The fill plugs don't really have to be that tight especially since it's on top of the gear box. Once the washer seats snugly. 
Probably another 1/4 of a turn would be plenty.  Then check it after or during the first time you use the blower.  It's just a plug so other than vibration there is nothing acting on it to loosen it.
Just be careful running all of the case cover bolts back in. You certainly don't want to strip any of those. They will strip out easy, especially if your using a long handled ratchet.
Remember they are small, short bolts so it takes a lot less effort to get them tight.
And because their short your only catching maybe 3,4 or 5 threads in the case and cover. 
zavdavpam

Reply #2   Nov 6, 2011 9:50 am
jrtrebor wrote:
They probably wouldn't know.  Unless you sometime had a problem with the gear box they wouldn't even look at it if they were doing other repairs.
I'm assuming the bolt is steel and the housing cover is aluminum. If so, any threads you stripped out are probably going to be aluminum.
And a lot of the time the stripped threads end up stuck in the threads of the bolt itself.  Even if some of them did drop into the case.
The gears in the case are hardened steel.
I would suspect that if a piece of thread ran through the gears they would simply crush the aluminum.  Or just pass right through.  As light as the pieces would be
they could simply stick somewhere in the case and stay there. 
I assuming the case doesn't have a drain plug?
If your really concerned and there isn't a drain plug.  As good as the access is to the inside of the case.  You could by a large syringe or hand vacuum pump and suck out as much
of the lube as you can then refill it.  The fill plugs don't really have to be that tight especially since it's on top of the gear box. Once the washer seats snugly. 
Probably another 1/4 of a turn would be plenty.  Then check it after or during the first time you use the blower.  It's just a plug so other than vibration there is nothing acting on it to loosen it.
Just be careful running all of the case cover bolts back in. You certainly don't want to strip any of those. They will strip out easy, especially if your using a long handled ratchet.
Remember they are small, short bolts so it takes a lot less effort to get them tight.
And because their short your only catching maybe 3,4 or 5 threads in the case and cover. 

Thanks a lot for the descriptive reply.  You are correct that the cover is aluminum and the bolt steel.  What should the washer be made of?  While I suppose there is a small chance that I lost it, i really dont think there was one there.  Also, when I look for replacement parts online, two different retailers (while the washer shows in the parts diagram) say "we did not find your part number in our database... may no longer be available."  The bolt looks like a small metal "washer" is incorporated into the bolt.  Could that be?  Also, when replacing the insptecion cover is it advisable to order new locking washers?  I will get a new gasket as it seems this one has stretched.

Thanks again!

Dave

Snowmann

Reply #3   Nov 6, 2011 12:12 pm
The warranty would only be void if you stripped out the filler screw and did not repair it. Damage to the gear case resulting from water infiltration would not be covered. That is, if you rectify the problem appropriately and timely, the warranty is intact. The cover is steel, not aluminum. The seal washer on the earlier serial numbers is aluminum. This washer is much like the drain plug washers on certain cars. It's ductile and provides the means of sealing. Check the underside of the bolt head and you might find this washer stuck to the bottom of the flange head. There was a change made later in the build to use a rubber bonded seal washer that is more tolerant of torque variability (and seals at a lower torque). Some folks do not have a torque wrench and will be torqueing this by the "seat of their pants" so to speak, hence a more tolerant seal washer was selected. The torque spec for the rubberized seal washer is 80 in-lb according the latested owner's manual. The seal washer is superseded so if you order the old one, you'll get the latest part. You need to order a new top cover, seal washer, and filler screw (if you can remove the aluminum washer from the bottom of the flange from the old filler screw you can use the old one). I would order a new rubber cover gasket if I were doing the work, but the old one is reusable. As the filler screw is mounted on the top of the gear case, the intent is not to hold the oil in, but to keep water out. The synthetic L3 gear oil can absorb a fair amount of moisture (as far as oils go) and still function well, but no water infiltration is always preferable, and a block of ice inside this gearcase would not be good. As far the metal shavings go, unless you drain and flush the gear case, the best route would be to root around in the oil with a decent strength magnet to catch any shavings. I'm not sure what the torque is for the 4 cover bolts, send me a PM and I can get that for you.
Coldfingers

Reply #4   Nov 6, 2011 12:14 pm
You can use the locking washers over again, I have many times. Like the other guy said, just snug them up, they don't have to be that tight.
Snowmann

Reply #5   Nov 7, 2011 12:26 pm
Coldfingers wrote:
You can use the locking washers over again, I have many times. Like the other guy said, just snug them up, they don't have to be that tight.

Actually this isn't correct. You can re-use the hardware for the top cover mounts (4 bolts and starlock washers), but the clamp load is important. There is a rubber gasket under the cover that requires a certain clamp load to seal. 96 to 144 in-lbs is the spec.
This message was modified Nov 7, 2011 by Snowmann
Intruder

Reply #6   Nov 7, 2011 7:20 pm
Dave,

Bummer about your new blower.... just as an point of interest, was the gear case full when you opened it? 

Mine was full, but I've heard from some that the fluid was low, from the factory.....

- Ken

BTW, as far as I know, all the gear cases on this years Ariens Snow blowers are cast iron.

This message was modified Nov 7, 2011 by Intruder
zavdavpam

Reply #7   Nov 12, 2011 9:49 am
Intruder wrote:
Dave,

Bummer about your new blower.... just as an point of interest, was the gear case full when you opened it? 

Mine was full, but I've heard from some that the fluid was low, from the factory.....

- Ken

BTW, as far as I know, all the gear cases on this years Ariens Snow blowers are cast iron.

It appeared to be filled to specs but the only way to tell that by just removing the fill screw would be to stick something all the way down and measure from the top.  There's only about an inch of fluid.
zavdavpam

Reply #8   Nov 12, 2011 10:01 am
Snowmann wrote:
Actually this isn't correct. You can re-use the hardware for the top cover mounts (4 bolts and starlock washers), but the clamp load is important. There is a rubber gasket under the cover that requires a certain clamp load to seal. 96 to 144 in-lbs is the spec.

Does the clamp load mean the the screws have to be set to a certain tourqe or is there another tool I need?  Also, the blower manual states "reinstall filler screw and seal washer to 12,5 lbf-ft"  The comma didn't make sense to me.  As a complete newbie with a tourqe wrench, I set it to 12.5 foot pounds. Was I incorrect?
Shryp

Reply #9   Nov 12, 2011 1:15 pm
I would interpret 12,5 as 12.5 as well.  However, are you sure it says foot pounds and not inch pounds?  I have never seen it, but for what size I would think of a fill plug on there I would be thinking inch pounds and not foot pounds.
jrtrebor

Reply #10   Nov 12, 2011 1:24 pm
I would read it 12.5 ft/lbs.  You can really just run it in with your fingers until you can't anymore. ( I believe snowman said that it has a type of crush washer on it).
So you will feel some resistance beyond that point with a wrench or socket. But then it will just stop turning.  At that point it's tight.  It's just a plug.  It's not holding a part on, or bolting two parts together. 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 11NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42