Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowpocalypse 2011

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Steve_Cebu

Snowpocalypse 2011
Original Message   Oct 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Wow was this a storm to remember!

Here in my driveway we only got about 14-16 inches. Here is a clip/quote from the newspaper.

http://news.yahoo.com/snow-smacks-northeast-power-could-days-122810201.html

"But in New Hampshire's capital of Concord, more than 22 inches fell, weeks ahead of the usual first measurable snowfall. Trees downtown still bright with fall colors were covered with snow. Some didn't survive — a large oak tree that had stood alongside the Statehouse fell, partially blocking a side street."

I'll post some videos but this was the heaviest wetest nastiest heartattack snow I have seen in a long time. Their were so many leaves in the driveway that I had a lot of trouble with the chute and auger clogging. I'd have to shut the machine off to clear the impeller and chute. Heavy wet snow and leaves do NOT mix. There were times I didn't think I was going to be able to finish my driveway. As long as the leaves didn't get sucked in the Toro handled it pretty well. I'd just let it ride up on the first pass and then take a second pass. We finally got power and cabl back. I guess downtown got more than we did for once.

Share your stories and vieos in here if you have 'em.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
samdog

Re: Snowpocalypse 2011
Reply #8   Oct 31, 2011 8:27 am
Third season now with the Toro 826OE. We got about 8" of heavy wet snow here in PA.

I started off thinking the Toro should be in 1st gear to handle the weight of the snow. I was initially disappointed when the chute quickly clogged with ice and throwing distance dropped to a few feet. Cleaned it and was about to put it away, when it occurred to me to experiment a faster gear. Duh.

In 2nd gear the performance improved, third was better yet,and I finally settled on 4th for the best efficiency. Conclusion is that the impeller must be fed sufficient snow to push the heavy stuff through and prevent clogging. The 4th gear provided the best balance between forcing the snow through and not bogging the 250 cc engine. The 826OE threw this heavy wet stuff about 25 feet and the chute stayed clean. The Quickstick would occasionally stiffin up a little, from ice around the outside of it, but it remained fully functional.

Once I got going, the Toro cleared the drive of Snowpocalypse in the normal amount of time. 

This message was modified Oct 31, 2011 by samdog
Steve_Cebu

Reply #9   Oct 31, 2011 9:20 am
I did the same on my second pass because the snow was too dense to not ride up on it. I found on the second pass 3rd or 4th worked very well.

The real problem with clogging came with all the leaves being mixed in with that wet heavy snow.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #10   Oct 31, 2011 11:56 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I did the same on my second pass because the snow was too dense to not ride up on it. I found on the second pass 3rd or 4th worked very well.

The real problem with clogging came with all the leaves being mixed in with that wet heavy snow.

Sure, blame it on the leaves. 

There are leafblowers, and there are snowblowers.  That's the problem. 
manjestic

Reply #11   Oct 31, 2011 11:58 am
I saw a YouTube video of someone using his snowblower as a leaf blower.  At least, until his machine stalled.
aa335

Reply #12   Oct 31, 2011 12:05 pm
If a pair of pliers was supposed to drive nails, it should be called a hammer.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #13   Oct 31, 2011 12:32 pm
aa335 wrote:
Sure, blame it on the leaves. 

There are leafblowers, and there are snowblowers.  That's the problem. 

Yep all too true and what's more I don't own a leaf blower either.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #14   Oct 31, 2011 12:34 pm
manjestic wrote:
I saw a YouTube video of someone using his snowblower as a leaf blower.  At least, until his machine stalled.

My Toro was doing double duty as a leaf blower but I wouldn't reccomend it at least not with wet snow.

stresst

Reply #15   Oct 31, 2011 9:27 pm
samdog wrote:
Third season now with the Toro 826OE. We got about 8" of heavy wet snow here in PA.

I started off thinking the Toro should be in 1st gear to handle the weight of the snow. I was initially disappointed when the chute quickly clogged with ice and throwing distance dropped to a few feet. Cleaned it and was about to put it away, when it occurred to me to experiment a faster gear. Duh.

In 2nd gear the performance improved, third was better yet,and I finally settled on 4th for the best efficiency. Conclusion is that the impeller must be fed sufficient snow to push the heavy stuff through and prevent clogging. The 4th gear provided the best balance between forcing the snow through and not bogging the 250 cc engine. The 826OE threw this heavy wet stuff about 25 feet and the chute stayed clean. The Quickstick would occasionally stiffin up a little, from ice around the outside of it, but it remained fully functional.

Once I got going, the Toro cleared the drive of Snowpocalypse in the normal amount of time. 

I found something similiar when throwing recyled snow....everyone keeps telling me to slow down but it seems my Toro works better in a higher gear. I thought the gears were only for wheel speed and had nothing to do with impeller speed?? Well thats what I thought anyway but it seems it throws better in a faster gear (most of the time anyway).

TORO 826OXE
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #16   Oct 31, 2011 9:56 pm
  We were lucky here In NB, Canada.  The same storm that hit New England, Only dropped about  20 cm here (8 Inches) but it was wet and heavy ,  on Sunday.

Instead of using my  Two Stage,   I used my single stage Craftsman that I had bought last February, , It did a good job but didn't throw  the snow very far. Now the snow is all melted.

This message was modified Oct 31, 2011 by royster

samdog

Reply #17   Oct 31, 2011 10:18 pm
stresst wrote:
I found something similiar when throwing recyled snow....everyone keeps telling me to slow down but it seems my Toro works better in a higher gear. I thought the gears were only for wheel speed and had nothing to do with impeller speed?? Well thats what I thought anyway but it seems it throws better in a faster gear (most of the time anyway).

You are correct sir;  the gearbox only changes wheel speed, and the auger and impeller are driven separately.

The reason speed makes a difference, is that snow is fed more quickly into the auger, which in turn feeds a more steady supply into the impeller. In higher gears, incoming snow, under pressure from the auger, pushes snow ahead of it through the impeller and maintains a steady flow. Faster snow feed is more important when the snow is heavy, wet, more likely to ice up and resistant to flow. Of course,the limiting factor is the engine's ability to process the density/weight of the flow.

I'm starting to think that the Toro's impeller recycling feature is designed to allow faster speeds in heavy snow. My first impulse was to slow down also, because I used to have an MTD without the impeller recycling.

This is only my observation, based on this experience, so I'm not claiming expertise.

Replies: 8 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42