Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > honda 520 vs toro 621 single stage

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
joed

honda 520 vs toro 621 single stage
Original Message   Oct 27, 2011 10:08 pm
Any advice as to which of these two single stage blowers is the better choice?  Thanks.
Replies: 17 - 26 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: honda 520 vs toro 621 single stage
Reply #17   Nov 2, 2011 9:07 pm
What would you expect a Honda dealer to tell you?  Did you ask him to elaborate on where the Toro failed in reliability?  It's very unlikely that a vendor is going to compliment or recommend a competing product?   Sure Honda products are great.  So are Toros.  I bought a Toro 221QE last year for a very good price.  Good thing I did because Toro has since discontinued using two cycle engines. 

Now that everything has four stroke engines in them, between the Honda and Toro, I'd buy the machine that had the best price. 
aa335

Reply #18   Nov 2, 2011 10:02 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
@aa335

Trust your Toro 421 started without any issue this fall.  I have a little time before deciding since no snow for another 10 days or so.  I am sure the realiability question entered and resolved before you bought your Toro.

Actually, I did took a chance and bought the Toro with the Loncin engine.  It was the second year Toro used this engine so I figured the bugs been worked out.  It wasn't.

My 421QE did develop a fuel leak last winter.  I put on a fuel shutoff valve and used it the rest of the season.  I just have to run the engine until the float bowl is dry before putting it away. 

Besides that issue, there wasn't any other problems.  I started easily up last week and it ran fine, still had the fuel leak though.  I need to bring it to the dealer for them to replace the carburetor.  It's not a big deal, I still have the other trusty backup SS so I'm prepared for the snow.

I'm sure you'll be fine which ever SS you chose.  This year Toro 621 is likely to be trouble free, the Honda HS520 is also reliable.  My father has the 5-year old HS520 and has been trouble free.
MN_Runner

Reply #19   Nov 2, 2011 10:15 pm
@borat --- It is Toro/Honda dealer.  He sells both then some other brands like Deere.

I do like the way Toro 621/421 blows the snow more so than HS520.  I just don't want to have a starting issue when my wife has to use it when I am at work or away on business trip.  My brother in law has HS520 for the past four years without any issue.  It blows okay.  Toro 621R is $500 out the door and HS520 is $650 out the door.  The rubber parts are also much more reasonable on Toro.  I am planning to pick up Toro 621R next week from a Toro dealer about two miles from my house.  I hope the carb/gas leak issues are done on the new 621.

CharlesW

Reply #20   Nov 3, 2011 12:02 am
MN_Runner wrote:
Snowblowers are exciting so a little service call is not big deal.

Wow!

I thought things were boring in Iowa, but not so boring that I find snowblowers exciting.

Anyway, I bought a Toro 421 last year and love it.

No gas leak problems at all, but I did install a gas shutoff valve just in case.

The recall was done this summer and consisted of a new carburetor and a new gas line.

The mechanic at my dealer said that all the machines he worked on that had an actual problem had been using gasohol.

In my area, alcohol free gas is still available and I don't use gasohol in anything I own. That might be part of the reason I never had the fuel leak problem.

The Loncin engine has been fine. It was a concern of mine when I made the purchase and I almost didn't buy the 421 just because of the Chinese engine. Based on my experience so far, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. Hopefully I will still feel that way 5 or 10 years down the road.

Given the cost difference you quoted, I would buy the Toro.

I bought the 421QE with all the bells and whistles and I think it was around $800. I have never used the electric start, but I bought it thinking it might help resale if I decided a single stage machine was not for me. The Quick Shoot and the Zip Deflector are not necessities, but they are nice to have. I would buy them again. Since the electric start was only another $100, I would probably get that again even though I might never use it. 

borat

Reply #21   Nov 3, 2011 10:11 am
I scored my Toro 221QE from Home Depot for less than $600.00.  Must have been a phase out sale to discontinue the two cycle engines.  The local Toro gouger was selling the very same machine for...... wait for it.......

$1000.00!!!!! 

I swear, that dealer must never get out of his shop.  Home Depot is less than a mile from his place.   Funny part is that the Toro shop is right at a fairly busy intersection.  When I was hauling the 221QE home in the back of the pick-up, I had to stop at the intersection and right in front of the Toro dealership's main entrance/door and display window.  I was there for a full set of lights and it's a five way intersection.  I know they could see the machine in the back of the truck with the labels etc. blowing in the breeze. 

You think they'd be smart enough to drop their price to something reasonable?  Nope.  Fortunately for them, there are enough uninformed/stupid people around to keep them in business. 
MN_Runner

Reply #22   Nov 3, 2011 7:38 pm
Borat,

Are you planning to run two 221Qs at the same time?  Just curious on why you purchased another 221Q.  There must be a good reason since you are very logical.

MN_Runner

Reply #23   Nov 3, 2011 9:12 pm
@aa335,

Do you know whether the Toro 621/421 can accept Honda GX160 engine?  Do you know whether the engine on your Toro uses standard 3/4" shaft?  Thanks for your help.

blumonster

Reply #24   Nov 3, 2011 9:29 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Borat,

Are you planning to run two 221Qs at the same time?  Just curious on why you purchased another 221Q.  There must be a good reason since you are very logical.

When you are in love something/somebody, logic is the last thing you would would invoke. :D
borat

Reply #25   Nov 3, 2011 9:29 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
Borat,

Not sure how/where I said I had two 221QEs.  I have just the one.  However, I also have a 1997 Craftsman SS machine and a 2005-ish MTD SS machine.  Both powered by 139cc Tecumseh two cycle engines.  I got them both dirt cheap and put a lot of time/work on the Craftsman last winter.  I over-ride the governors on the Tecumseh's to run them at 6000+ rpm.  I can actuate the governor to work like a throttle.  Kind of like using a chain saw.  Rev up the engine to throw snow and let off when backing up etc.  I flogged that Craftsman pretty hard at high rpm and it just keeps on going.  I'm curious how much abuse the Tecumseh two cycle engine can handle.  I find it much more fun to operate than the Toro that runs at a fixed 4000 rpm.   I didn't get the MTD until later in the year.  I over-ride it also but it's a bit on the light side and not as effective as the Craftsman.  I think I'll plant it on the deck to keep it clear. 

For real big snow events, I use the Simplicity two stage machine.    
aa335

Reply #26   Nov 4, 2011 12:29 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
@aa335,

Do you know whether the Toro 621/421 can accept Honda GX160 engine?  Do you know whether the engine on your Toro uses standard 3/4" shaft?  Thanks for your help.

Can't say for sure, haven't poked around inside the machine getting measurements. 

The current engine is probably a GX160 clone so everything is likely to be similar in dimensions; the power is going to be the same too, or close to it.  No point to do the engine swap unless it fails or it gives you comfort having a real GX160. 

Honda has updated some of their snowblower models this year, hopefully, there's going to be a HS520 update or redesign sometime this decade  .   Hopefully a GX200 or GX240 finds it way in there, in the form of a HS621.  Just hoping....
Replies: 17 - 26 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42