Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 1028LXE - Craigslist find

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Toro 1028LXE - Craigslist find
Original Message   Oct 24, 2011 5:16 am
I lucked out Sunday, October 23 (my birthday) by landing a 2008 Toro 1028LXE (with Tecumseh L-Head, 10hp) for only $599.  It was almost brand new.  This retailed for $1799, just like the current 1028OXE with a Briggs 305cc.  The man at the farm said on the phone that he probably should have sold it for more but that he would honor his ad.  He didn't seem to mind.  I'd been debating between Ariens (like a Platinum 24) and the Toro 1028OXE.  In another thread, I mentioned that maybe something would turn up on Craigslist.  It did.  Now to see how well all those plastic parts hold up, like the steering triggers.  Plastic triggers with plastic hinges.  Small parts, so we'll see.  Plastic hand levers, and plastic chute controls.  Plastic control deck.  I do like the look of this blower and it's conveniences, but now I can actually play with it this winter and see how much I really like it, and test the robustness.  I had to slightly re-position the chute-lock lever cable that's under that plastic cover because the lock wasn't releasing from the gear quite enough.  It was hitting the gear as I swung the chute around.  Now fixed and works perfectly.

I still haven't ruled out an Ariens Platinum 24 at some point because it was my original intention, anyway, until this hot deal popped up.  Couldn't pass it up for that price.  Runs good, too. 

Anyone else been through a sudden change of direction like mine? 

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 30 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Toro 1028LXE - Craigslist find
Reply #30   Oct 29, 2011 12:30 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Your perception would probably be accurate for 95% of the people looking at snowblowers as far as the first part. Toro is for people who see beyond the metal exterior. I think if you had it setup where you could use both machines more people would go for the Toro that normally would not buy a snowblower and Ariens would get the guys who want the macho looking heavy steel beast. Toro is not as friendly on your wallet as Ariens tho.

The Toro is pricier and that is a problem for people on the fence.

Customer:  "So let me get this straight, the Toro costs more, has less metal, doesn't come with handwarmers, and I have to squeeze these levers to turn??"

Sales Guy:  "That is correct.  Quick Stick chute is very easy to use, the machine is easy to maneuver, even your wife can use it"

Customer:  "So you're saying this Toro is designed for women? and that's why it costs more?  Just like women have to pay more at the dry cleaners?"

Sales Guy: "I have nothing to do with that sir, women get charged more for car repairs as well.  Many men have to go to shopping malls with their spouse, even though they don't want to.  Just the way things are.  Toro has conducted focus group studies and have identified that more women are interested in sharing the duties of snow removal."

Customer:  "You don't say! I don't think this Toro is for me.  I can't see paying more for this emasculated equal-opportunity plasticky machine."

Sales Guy: "Can I interest you in an Ariens?  They are very macho, thick steel everywhere.  The transmission was co-developed by Dana"

Customer:  "I don't like the color orange, and I don't like transmission developed by a woman named "Dana"

Sales Guy:  "Perhaps this Honda here will fit you"

Customer:  "$3000 bucks@@@  Are you freaking crazy?"
Steve_Cebu

Reply #31   Oct 29, 2011 5:04 pm
Hahahaha too funny!

I'll take the fire engine red Toro please, I'm confident in my masculinity.

Looks like I'll be using it in teh morning as we are going to get 8-12 inches of snow.

I'm open to suggestions for videos. Of the snowblower.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #32   Oct 30, 2011 5:26 am
Very funny, indeed  Good stuff, aa335.  Yes, we all should be careful when trying to take care of the "big stuff".  Our blowers aren't invincible!

I went on I-90 across the border to Idaho today to a major dealer who carries Ariens and Toro.  I was able to spend about 20 minutes studying the Toro 1028OXE and the Ariens Pro 28.  I looked at everything I could think of, such as the control deck (top and underneath), housing thickness, controls, use of plastic, nose weight and balance, chute controls, engine sizes as they look on the machine, how they manuever when off, augers, etc.  The Ariens, interestingly, has two small plastic cog-wheel parts regarding the interlocking of the two hand levers, but Toro, and even the Husqvarnas that were in the showroom, also have a plastic "cog wheel" on a shaft..  They are on the ends of the Ariens lever shafts as they meet in the middle.  The left one pushes the little piece of metal back, and the right one has that "tooth" that catches the metal piece.  Like a rachet.  They were plastic.  My son's 1993 Ariens ST824 has a single METAL "cog" wheel that is held by the so-called ratchet piece.  Please excuse my bad description of this mechanism.  Well, anyway, it's the only plastic pieces under the Ariens control panel.  Everything else is solid steel, etc.

Here's the underside of the Ariens Pro 28 control panel where the interlock mechanism is located:

The control panel more or less holds the handlebars at the tops, so it was important for Toro to use beefy plastic for that cause.  They do have the plastic triggers and hinges, but I noticed that the Ariens Deluxe models have the sort of light metal left trigger that appears to hinge on plastic, or maybe it was light metal painted over.  Not sure.  But other than these little items, the Ariens does have the metal parts everywhere.  Toro didn't seem to use plastic except where they thought it would be fine to use.  Everything else is steel, too.  I came to the conclusion that the Toro Power Max models are basically in the same class as the Ariens Deluxe and Platinum models so far as the metals that are used for all of these blowers.  The Ariens definitely has the thicker steel housing on the three Pro models.  They were intended for commerical use, really, not that the Platinum and Deluxe models can't be used for that purpose; it's just that all of the Ariens models have their place.  Same for Toro.  Hey, we all come out okay with all of these good choices.  Whatever we need, we can get.

Steve, I noticed the Toro turns easier on the showroom floor than the Ariens Pro models, but I have no idea how either feels when operating.  I haven't had a chance to try out the Ariens ATC feature.  I wish I could so I could compare it to my new El Toro! 1028LXE.  Yes, Toro does costs more for what I think is basically their version of the Ariens Platinum models.  Ariens should offer people a Platinum 28 so there would be a more fair comparison of the price.
This message was modified Oct 31, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #33   Oct 30, 2011 1:38 pm
coasteray wrote:
Steve, I noticed the Toro turns easier on the showroom floor than the Ariens Pro models, but I have no idea how either feels when operating.  I haven't had a chance to try out the Ariens ATC feature.  I wish i could so I could compare it to my new El Toro! 1028LXE.  Yes, Toro does costs more for what I think is basically their version of the Ariens Platinum models.  Ariens should offer people a Platinum 28 so there would be a more fair comparison of the price.

You will find that during a storm the Toro will also turn easier and by pulling both triggers you can freewheel it backwards. This helps in many areas in my driveway. I certainly got a good workout today, my gosh was that snow heavy! I'm sure an Ariens would have done a good job of moving it as well but it takes a storm like this to humble a 2 stage snowblower!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #34   Oct 31, 2011 2:45 am
Steve Cebu wrote:

"You will find that during a storm the Toro will also turn easier and by pulling both triggers you can freewheel it backwards. This helps in many areas in my driveway. I certainly got a good workout today, my gosh was that snow heavy! I'm sure an Ariens would have done a good job of moving it as well but it takes a storm like this to humble a 2 stage snowblower!"

I look forward to the moments when I can take advantage of that freewheeling when still "in gear".  That must have been quite the workout with snow and leaves mixed together. 

This message was modified Oct 31, 2011 by coasteray

coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #35   Oct 31, 2011 2:55 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Hopefully we will get 3 feet of snow in one go so I can video it cutting through that! I'm hoping the dealer finishes up with my machine soon. They've had it for 3 weeks already.

Steve, you almost got your wish today.  You "only" got 16 inches?

Steve_Cebu

Reply #36   Oct 31, 2011 9:12 am
coasteray wrote: I look forward to the moments when I can take advantage of that freewheeling when still "in gear". That must have been quite the workout with snow and leaves mixed together.

Well in my video you will see that it I climb up on the snow at the EOD I just pull thetriggers and roll it back. Yes I could change gears and put it in reverse but squeezing boh triggers is usually faster and easier.

It was a massive workout to constantly clean the leaves out of the auger, chute and impeller. The leaves really made the snow difficult to throw. When I was just throwing snow the wet heavy stuff wasn't a problem but once the leaves built up that was it.

This message was modified Oct 31, 2011 by Steve_Cebu

Steve_Cebu

Reply #37   Oct 31, 2011 9:18 am
coasteray wrote:
Steve, you almost got your wish today.  You "only" got 16 inches?

Ok let me rephrase that.  I want leaf free snow!

The Toro does well with everything but it did ride up a lot this snow was so dense that it packed under my feet. This stuff would have been a nightmare to plow as well.

I just let it ride up a bit and then took a second pass in 3rd or 4th gear. For snow this wet and heavy I found that to be easier and faster.

aa335

Reply #38   Oct 31, 2011 11:53 am
Ok, so with the unexpected snowstorm and the power outage that you guys getting over there.  I've began to question those new battery/electric power 2 stage snowblower.  So once you're done clearing the driveway, you hope that the power is restored so you can recharge the batteries again. 

Same thing with those electric plug in cars.  If you made it home from the storm and the car batteries is depleted, you need power to charge it again.  How are you going to go out again to get milk, eggs, and gas?

So with the electric stuff, you're still going to need a internal combustion generator for back up.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #39   Oct 31, 2011 12:31 pm
aa335 wrote:
Ok, so with the unexpected snowstorm and the power outage that you guys getting over there.  I've began to question those new battery/electric power 2 stage snowblower.  So once you're done clearing the driveway, you hope that the power is restored so you can recharge the batteries again. 

Same thing with those electric plug in cars.  If you made it home from the storm and the car batteries is depleted, you need power to charge it again.  How are you going to go out again to get milk, eggs, and gas?

So with the electric stuff, you're still going to need a internal combustion generator for back up.

I would never trust all electric anything. We have enough power outages that make relying on electric cars or electric snowblowers unworkable for this area. Plus our phone is through the Internet so when teh power goes off we rely on cell phones. battery power is good for flashlights and radios etc... But for big stuff I'll stick with a fuel II can replace out of a container.

Of course a diesel powered flashlight would be pretty cool!

Replies: 30 - 39 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42