Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 1028LXE - Craigslist find

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Toro 1028LXE - Craigslist find
Original Message   Oct 24, 2011 5:16 am
I lucked out Sunday, October 23 (my birthday) by landing a 2008 Toro 1028LXE (with Tecumseh L-Head, 10hp) for only $599.  It was almost brand new.  This retailed for $1799, just like the current 1028OXE with a Briggs 305cc.  The man at the farm said on the phone that he probably should have sold it for more but that he would honor his ad.  He didn't seem to mind.  I'd been debating between Ariens (like a Platinum 24) and the Toro 1028OXE.  In another thread, I mentioned that maybe something would turn up on Craigslist.  It did.  Now to see how well all those plastic parts hold up, like the steering triggers.  Plastic triggers with plastic hinges.  Small parts, so we'll see.  Plastic hand levers, and plastic chute controls.  Plastic control deck.  I do like the look of this blower and it's conveniences, but now I can actually play with it this winter and see how much I really like it, and test the robustness.  I had to slightly re-position the chute-lock lever cable that's under that plastic cover because the lock wasn't releasing from the gear quite enough.  It was hitting the gear as I swung the chute around.  Now fixed and works perfectly.

I still haven't ruled out an Ariens Platinum 24 at some point because it was my original intention, anyway, until this hot deal popped up.  Couldn't pass it up for that price.  Runs good, too. 

Anyone else been through a sudden change of direction like mine? 

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 20 - 29 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Toro 1028LXE - Craigslist find
Reply #20   Oct 27, 2011 12:58 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Hopefully we will get 3 feet of snow in one go so I can video it cutting through that! I'm hoping the dealer finishes up with my machine soon. They've had it for 3 weeks already.

You have your Toro serviced every year?  I'm on my third year with the Honda tracked snowblower with just the usual fluid checks, oil changes, belt inspections.  There hasn't been any other work needed on it. 

On the positive note, the shop can have your snowblower for another 4 weeks until the white stuff actually comes down hard. 
This message was modified Oct 27, 2011 by aa335
aa335

Reply #21   Oct 27, 2011 2:20 pm
coasteray wrote:
Yeah, I want to get a new camera, too.  I have my little Panasonic DMC-ZS-7 from which are the photos I showed of my new Craigslist Toro 1028LXE in post #8 above.  I'm thinking of an SLR, or close to it, for the larger sensor and thus higher resolution and less noise.

The Ariens Pro28 with the 420cc engine?  Yeah, I would love that one, too!  The Ariens Platinum 24 with the 250cc would be nice, too.  In the back of my mind, I can see that happening in a couple of years, or whatever.  Maybe I would have both the Toro 1028LXE and one of the Ariens.  Man, wouldn't that be fun?!?!  Two toys instead of one

I've been using DSLR for a long time so looking for something more compact with video quality, but not give up too much on image quality.  These new crop mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras are the next thing.  I'm not a sports photographer or a professional so it's a perfect fit.  I'm looking into downsizing my camera for convenience and portability.

If you can swing an Ariens Pro 28, do it.  It's not outrageously expensive like a $5000 Yamaha or Honda snowblower.  Although these are in league of their own, and it's not just about horsepower and thick steel. If that was the case, I would just transplant the biggest engine I can fit on a 24" snowblower.
This message was modified Oct 27, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #22   Oct 27, 2011 3:44 pm
aa335 wrote:
You have your Toro serviced every year?  I'm on my third year with the Honda tracked snowblower with just the usual fluid checks, oil changes, belt inspections.  There hasn't been any other work needed on it. 

On the positive note, the shop can have your snowblower for another 4 weeks until the white stuff actually comes down hard. 

I have it serviced every year. They change the fluids adjust the cables, the works. I know it costs money but it always purrs like a kitten, a 10HP kitten but I digress.

The wreath that got sucked into it did something to the clutch so that and some other stuff had to be adjusted. I was thinking at minimun it would have toasted the belt but they said the belt was fine.

I don't get why people think Ariens is built better than Toro. My Toro is a tank and extremely durable. Maybe an Ariens would have been blowing snow for 30 minutes with a wire wreath wrapped around the auger, maybe not. But it took 30 mins for me to even notice it wasn't throwing the snow as far as normal.

Most people can easily work on the Toro same as most snowblowers but I prefer to always have it dealer serviced. Too bad it costs so much for them to pick it up and drop it off.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #23   Oct 28, 2011 12:54 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

I don't get why people think Ariens is built better than Toro. My Toro is a tank and extremely durable. Maybe an Ariens would have been blowing snow for 30 minutes with a wire wreath wrapped around the auger, maybe not. But it took 30 mins for me to even notice it wasn't throwing the snow as far as normal.

Well, Ariens uses more metal and thicker steel than most other snowblowers.  It just feels more substantial.  People do associate weight and heft with build quality. 

Cars are built with more plastics these days, they are more reliable and safer than the old metal cages of yore.
This message was modified Oct 28, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #24   Oct 28, 2011 1:47 pm
aa335 wrote:
Well, Ariens uses more metal and thicker steel than most other snowblowers.  It just feels more substantial.  People do associate weight and heft with build quality. 

Cars are built with more plastics these days, they are more reliable and safer than the old metal cages of yore.

Yes, perception is king. My father was a machinist and he goes with metal every time even tho for certain applications certain types of plastic are better. But he's old school depression era and metal is what you buy for longevity. I find it interesting that you don't see a lot of complaints about Toro. They last and endure and are made in the USA. Ariens is a decent brand and made in the USA as well but I don't feel they are superior to Toro. They certainly weigh more and cost less. Pig iron is pretty cheap nowadays.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #25   Oct 28, 2011 3:49 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Yes, perception is king. My father was a machinist and he goes with metal every time even tho for certain applications certain types of plastic are better. But he's old school depression era and metal is what you buy for longevity. I find it interesting that you don't see a lot of complaints about Toro. They last and endure and are made in the USA. Ariens is a decent brand and made in the USA as well but I don't feel they are superior to Toro. They certainly weigh more and cost less. Pig iron is pretty cheap nowadays.

Toro and Ariens are both fine machines.  That's why they are often compared against one another.  Besides the exterior differences in the bucket thickness, chute materials, and handles and controls, they both have strong and robust snow moving mechanicals.  Those are the components that determines reliability of the machine.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #26   Oct 29, 2011 2:28 am
aa335 wrote:
Toro and Ariens are both fine machines.  That's why they are often compared against one another.  Besides the exterior differences in the bucket thickness, chute materials, and handles and controls, they both have strong and robust snow moving mechanicals.  Those are the components that determines reliability of the machine.

I think it's hard to not appreciate the obvious robustness of steel.  We need steel for the housing area because the augers and impeller just demand that.  The handlebars attached to the housing and coming up to the control deck need to be steel.  The engine sits on a steel box.  We want a steel rod, under the control deck cover, that connects the two handle levers (for drive and augers) so they can be interlocked for one-hand control of the unit.  We have steel gears, shafts, pulleys, and plates in the tranny box.  The auger drive shaft goes into a cast-iron or heavy-duty aluminum gear case to in turn drive steel shafts for steel-bladed augers.  These are all natural "givens"  on all snow blowers.

Toro has chosen to use plastic in those other areas where it CAN be used without causing harm.  First is the chute, which is not a big deal to me because I know that the polymer plastic used is thick and strong.  Ariens even used it during the 2010-2011 season on all three of their two-stage Sno-Tek units, though for this current 2011-2012 season they have gone back to steel for the top two Sno-Tek models.  Toro has also chosen to use plastic above the impeller area of the housing, though I'm not sure why.  Maybe that's why they have those steel arm braces coming off the back of the bucket area to join to the impeller part of the housing, in order to reinforce that area due to the missing steel section.  Maybe it's intended as a place to access the impeller itself if needed.  Toro has a thick plastic control deck cover which seems pretty strong, but the cover doesn't take any stress compared to other areas of the machine. 

My greatest concern is with their use of plastic for the little steering triggers AND the hinges the triggers rotate in.  These are fairly small parts.  I wonder how well they will hold up over time, being so small.  On the other hand, the hand levers are pretty thick plastic.  Then there is the Quick-Stick unit, an integration of plastic and small steel parts.  I'm not sure about that, really.

I think the overall issue is the POTENTIAL problem of the plastic by its nature not being as strong as steel for handling abuse.  The 2011-2012 Ariens control deck is built with steel and is like a tank, including the parts underneath.   I confess I do like that.  I have to trust that Toro has placed plastic in areas that they believe will be able to stand up well over time.  With my "new" El Toro 1028LXE, I will have plenty of time to see how it goes.  I take care of what I own, so I don't expect problems (hope, heh).  Though I am a confessing Ariens guy, I really like my Toro.  Both companies make fine machines.  People just buy what they like, but hopefully their purchases are informed ones.  I still think it's funny and weird how I was going to buy the Platinum 24 and ended up with this Craigslist El Toro without even looking for a Toro.  It came up and the $600 price was awesome.  I'd be an idiot to not go for it.  I think I'll go read a bedtime story to El Toro! now, then tuck him in for the night in my bedroom.
This message was modified Oct 29, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #27   Oct 29, 2011 7:38 am
I've had no problem with any of the plastic parts on my Toro 1028 at all. of course I take care of it and don't abuse it. But the joystick and triggers work well and the worst problem I have had is if they need adjustment but that would happen even with metal and it takes longer to get my tools up from the basement than to adjust the triggers. I can respect Ariens for making a good machine and they are very durable but they are a lot more work to steer if you have a bad back (me) or are small like my wife.

aa335

Reply #28   Oct 29, 2011 10:14 am
If a Toro and an Ariens was put next to each other, my natural reaction is to gravitate towards the Ariens.  I was wholy impressed with the thickness of the steel and metal here and there.  If I part my money, I want to get metal in return, not FIsher Price plastics. 

Now standing behind the handlebars gives me a totally different perspective.  All that metal doesn't seem to matter as much anymore.  Suddenly, the plastic parts on the Toro just makes sense.  Hey, somebody who designed this thing really put some thought into making operating this 250 pound beast without frustration or apprehension.

So that got me thinking, if all this plastic doo dad does what its supposed to do and holds up, and it makes me feel comfortable.  I think I can live with that as long as I don't intend to ramrod this snowblower as if it was a tiller trying to pulverize soil or the unsuspecting frozen newspaper buried in the snow.
This message was modified Oct 29, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #29   Oct 29, 2011 10:51 am
aa335 wrote:
If a Toro and an Ariens was put next to each other, my natural reaction is to gravitate towards the Ariens.  I was wholy impressed with the thickness of the steel and metal here and there.  If I part my money, I want to get metal in return, not FIsher Price plastics. 

Now standing behind the handlebars gives me a totally different perspective.  All that metal doesn't seem to matter as much anymore.  Suddenly, the plastic parts on the Toro just makes sense.  Hey, somebody who designed this thing really put some thought into making operating this 250 pound beast without frustration or apprehension.

So that got me thinking, if all this plastic doo dad does what its supposed to do and holds up, and it makes me feel comfortable.  I think I can live with that as long as I don't intend to ramrod this snowblower as if it was a tiller trying to pulverize soil or the unsuspecting frozen newspaper buried in the snow.

Your perception would probably be accurate for 95% of the people looking at snowblowers as far as the first part. Toro is for people who see beyond the metal exterior. I think if you had it setup where you could use both machines more people would go for the Toro that normally would not buy a snowblower and Ariens would get the guys who want the macho looking heavy steel beast. Toro is not as friendly on your wallet as Ariens tho.

Replies: 20 - 29 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42