Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Project #2 Replacing auger shaft bushings with bearings

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Ariens Project #2 Replacing auger shaft bushings with bearings
Original Message   Oct 10, 2011 10:01 pm
Some of the Honda's and a few others have this set up and it just seemed like a good idea.
I bought a couple pairs of these flange bearings at an online auction for next to nothing.
Thought they are not that expensive new.
I was pleasantly surprised to fine out the the bolt holes in the new flanges matched up
perfectly with the original holes.  I did have to enlarge the center hole 1/8" all the way around.

First fitting

Painted and installed.

The auger spacing on the shaft between the bearing collar on the outer end. And the gear box on the inner end.
Worked out just right.  The collar sticks much further into the housing than the bushings did.
I thought that I was maybe going to have to grind off (shorten) the bearing collar
But with the drift pin and washer no longer needed on the shaft it created enough room. Yea!

This message was modified Oct 10, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Re: Ariens Project #2 Replacing auger shaft bushings with bearings
Reply #1   Oct 15, 2011 3:35 pm
Nice job!  I wish Ariens would just go back to the bearings.  I'm not sure if any manufacturer currently uses bearings for the auger shafts.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
bus708

Reply #2   Oct 22, 2011 11:59 am
I have  a St 824 and it has bushings. I do not see a issue with them. My unit is 15 years old and never had a problem with them.  I see a bearing failing due to water in salt. What benefit is there using bearings?
jrtrebor

Reply #3   Oct 22, 2011 3:01 pm
bus708 wrote:
I have  a St 824 and it has bushings. I do not see a issue with them. My unit is 15 years old and never had a problem with them.  I see a bearing failing due to water in salt. What benefit is there using bearings?

There really isn't any issue with the bushings, they work fine. 
The bearing are sealed so as long as I keep the seals in good shape there shouldn't be a problem. 
I installed the bearing because I have installed a larger engine.  And a 1/2" larger blower drive pulley.  So the augers are now turning quite a bit faster
than stock augers.  I put new bushing in last year and when I pulled them last month they were already showing wear.  But I blow a lot of snow.
City sidewalks, that have plow build up at every corner.
bus708

Reply #4   Oct 23, 2011 1:46 pm
Ware did you find the bearings?Do you know what manufacture? How could I find them?  
jrtrebor

Reply #5   Oct 23, 2011 4:42 pm
bus708 wrote:
Ware did you find the bearings?Do you know what manufacture? How could I find them?  

This place sells them for a pretty reasonable price.
1" flange bearing
If you do a search online call them "stamped' flange bearings. There are all kinds of different designed flange bearings.
Also, my auger shafts are one inch.  Yours may not be.  But the bearings are available in different shaft sizes
This message was modified Oct 23, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42