Location: Michigan - 3 hours north of Chicago on the lake
Joined: Feb 10, 2010
Ariens Project # 1 Serrating augers Original Message Oct 10, 2011 9:32 pm
These are a few projects that I started thinking about last season. The augers on the old Ariens blowers are super strong but they lack the serrations that have come to be common place on all new blowers. I have experienced times when having some cutting action would have been helpful. Hoping that these new teeth will also lessen the blowers occasional desire to climb up a pile. I went into home Depot and when no one was looking made a pattern on a piece of cardboard of some auger teeth from one of their blowers. Adjusted it a little to fit the curve of my augers. Cut out the pattern for three teeth and then used a silver lacquer pen to transfer the pattern onto the steel. That took almost as long as it did to cut out the teeth. About two hours total for the job. Used a right angle grinder with a 4 1/2 x .45 thick blade.