Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - higher impeller speed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - higher impeller speed
Original Message   Oct 5, 2011 5:02 pm
I have a 2010 Platinum 24.  I only seem to use it for EOD duty and the occasional heavy storm.  I use my singe-stage for everything else.  Could I optimize my Ariens by removing the stock 250cc Polar Force engine and bolting on a bigger engine...let's say a 342cc or something similar?  Is there a bigger Briggs (Polar force, Intek, etc.) that would mount on that frame and accomplish my objective without too much modification?  The stock engine is ok, but if my goal is to cut down the EOD pile and be able to throw it across the street would the big motor/24" bucket combo get me there?  I don't care about the warranty.  Can anyone recommend a specific engine for this project and the associated parts (pulleys, belts,etc.) that might be required?  And of course some extra shear pins! 
This message was modified Sep 23, 2014 by slinger
Replies: 7 - 16 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
trouts2

Re: 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" EOD Machine?
Reply #7   Oct 6, 2011 12:30 pm

Ariens made an 11.5/24 until about 2004 which was a nice machine. It tossed very well and was no problem to use.  It had a 12 inch impeller which ran at 1310RPM.  It did not sag much when tossing so usually running the impeller at peak velocity.  They go $350 to $700 used around the Boston area.  It would be hard to find a better tossing machine unless a Honda or Yamaha. 

I put an 11hp on a 924050 Ariens 24 frame which was not as well balanced as with it’s original 8hp but no problem to use.  Most makers 8hps run on the same frames as their larger hp machines with larger buckets which helps offset the larger weight.

A bigger engine would help to offset the RPM drop from EOD loading.   An 8hp is a decent engine though.  You could try setting it for 4000 RPM to boost the impeller speeds.  You could clear most of the time backed off on the throttle and when you wanted a boost take a thinner cut and run it at full throttle. 

You could go to a slightly oversized auger drive pulley for an impeller speed boost also. 

An impeller kit might improve things depending on what that model has for an impeller arm to barrel gap.

Throwing tough EOD across a two lane street would be tough for any machine.   Your machine has a 3 blade 14 inch impeller which I think turns about 1200 RPM not 1310 as for the 12 inch impeller models.  A bigger engine would get you a boost but a smaller cut would equal what you’d get from a 13hp mounted on your machine.  If you can’t get the distance you need with a smaller cut then a bigger engine would not do much.   You’ll have to boost the impeller velocity. 

Check the archives for jrtrebor’s modifications to his machine.  You can get an idea of the velocity numbers you’d have to shoot for and the pulley arrangement.

Ariens made an 11.5/24 until about 2004 which was a nice machine. It tossed very well and was no problem to use.  It had a 12 inch impeller which ran at 1310RPM.  It did not sag much when tossing so usually running the impeller at peak velocity.  They go $350 to $700 used around the Boston area.  It would be hard to find a better tossing machine unless a Honda or Yamaha. 

I put an 11hp on a 924050 Ariens 24 frame which was not as well balanced as with it’s original 8hp but no problem to use.  Most makers 8hps run on the same frames as their larger hp machines with larger buckets which helps offset the larger weight.

A bigger engine would help to offset the RPM drop from EOD loading.   An 8hp is a decent engine though.  You could try setting it for 4000 RPM to boost the impeller speeds.  You could clear most of the time backed off on the throttle and when you wanted a boost take a thinner cut and run it at full throttle. 

You could go to a slightly oversized auger drive pulley for an impeller speed boost also. 

An impeller kit might improve things depending on what that model has for an impeller arm to barrel gap.

Throwing tough EOD across a two lane street would be tough for any machine.   Your machine has a 3 blade 14 inch impeller which I think turns about 1200 RPM not 1310 as for the 12 inch impeller models.  A bigger engine would get you a boost but a smaller cut would equal what you’d get from a 13hp mounted on your machine.  If you can’t get the distance you need with a smaller cut then a bigger engine would not do much.   You’ll have to boost the impeller velocity. 

Check the archives for jrtrebor’s modifications to his machine.  You can get an idea of the velocity numbers you’d have to shoot for and the pulley arrangement.

slinger

Reply #8   Oct 6, 2011 8:08 pm
trouts2 wrote:

I looked closer at my Platinum 24 tonight.  The frame has two sets of engine mounting holes.  The set being used for the current 250cc engine and the exact bolt hole mounting pattern required for the 342cc engine.  They must use the same frame and just put either a 24" or 30" bucket on it.  In my manual it states the impeller speed at 1010 rpm (3702 ft/min. tip speed).  Yes, the idea is to use a slightly larger auger drive pulley with the larger engine to see if I can get a little better throw out of it.  Impeller to barrel gap is around  1/4". No modifications have been made there.  The two engines have the same shaft diameter, length, and height.  I might need a new, larger belt finger if I increase the diameter of the auger drive pulley.  The engine mounts almost directly over the drive wheels, perhaps just slightly to the rear of them.  The bigger engine adds 30 lbs.  If the balance is thrown off significantly I could always add the front weight kit.  It just sounds like a fun project.  If it works well I'll have an Ariens Polar Force 250cc engine with the ball bearing on the PTO and <5 hours run time for sale!   

This message was modified Oct 6, 2011 by slinger
slinger

Reply #9   Oct 7, 2011 8:59 pm
I think the project has come to a screeching halt because I can't find a larger impeller pulley (sheave) for the motor shaft.  Stock is 2.5" diameter and is used on both the Platinum 24 and 30 with the 1" dia. engine shaft.  Ariens service tech told me there is no larger one available.  A 3.5" would have been just about perfect, raising impeller rpm from 1010 to around 1400.  Combine that with the 3 or 4 extra hp that the 342cc engine would have provided and that puppy should have thrown like a major league pitcher!  The only other part that I would have to fab up is a new belt finger to fit around the new larger pulley.  There are other pulley manufacturers that make that diameter, but the Ariens part seems to be kind of a special design.  Cr@p, that would have been fun  :-( 
Bill_H

Reply #10   Oct 7, 2011 9:02 pm
Did you check McMaster-Carr?

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
slinger

Reply #11   Oct 7, 2011 9:44 pm
Yes...that's my first stop for all my hardware needs!  But no dice.  Thanks for the suggestion though!
Shryp

Reply #12   Oct 8, 2011 5:25 pm
http://www.mfgsupply.com/MowerPullSteelV.html

And if you have a local one Tractor Supply Company.
The ones at Tractor Supply are for 1/2" or 5/8" belts so you have to get one quite a bit bigger since the belt sits deeper.
This message was modified Oct 8, 2011 by Shryp
slinger

Reply #13   Oct 8, 2011 6:44 pm
Ok thanks, I guess I'll keep looking.  I found some pulley manufacturers that make the correct pulley as far as shaft diameter (1") and 2 groove design for the correct belt size, and even the overall diameter of the pulley.  But the Ariens pulley seems to have an elongated collar that spaces the pulleys the correct distance to align with the secondary impeller pulley (9" one).  They also use a 3/8" bolt to mount it on the engine shaft.  I don't know if that's unique or not.  Perhaps I could use a standard pulley and a spacer to accomplish the same thing.
Shryp

Reply #14   Oct 8, 2011 6:48 pm
Just use regular pulleys with set screws.  The ones that bolt to the crank probably just make assembly easier as there is nothing to line up.
jrtrebor

Reply #15   Oct 8, 2011 10:25 pm
slinger - You won't be able to find a single dual belt pulley that will work.
You have to use to separate pulley's.
I put a 3.25" on my Ariens 1132 (soon to be 1332)
Here is a link where you can get the pulley's your looking for and will need
Pulleys
Actually It's 3.45" but that's close enough.
You can search by shaft size to find the other pulley you'll need to drive the tractor.
Stock on most Ariens I believe is 2.50"
When using two separate pulleys instead of the dual pulley.
You have to play around with how to put them on the shaft.
Collar forward, collar backwards.  Or you may even have to grind off
some of the collar on one or both to make it shorter to get the alignment right with the lower pulley.
But it's very do-able.
I actually cut a steel dual belt pulley in half to use the 3.25" side.
Then drilled and tapped the collar above the key way slot for a set screw.

This message was modified Oct 8, 2011 by jrtrebor
slinger

Reply #16   Oct 9, 2011 2:10 am
I found a 2 groove pulley that's 3.35" od x 1" shaft here:  http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/VBelt-Pulley-3X520?BaseItem=3X520 

I estimate that it should take the 14" dia impeller speed from 1010 rpm (factory) to about 1340 rpm. There's also a 3.95" dia. available, but that might be too much (1577 impeller rpm).

I will have to bend the belt finger to try to make it fit. Are you saying that these 2 groove pulleys will not position the belts properly to line up with the impeller shaft pulleys?  Will  this increase in impeller speed on a 14" impeller make much of a difference (+330 rpm)?  The extra hp from the 342cc motor should handle this extra load, no?

This message was modified Oct 9, 2011 by slinger
Replies: 7 - 16 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42