Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - higher impeller speed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - higher impeller speed
Original Message   Oct 5, 2011 5:02 pm
I have a 2010 Platinum 24.  I only seem to use it for EOD duty and the occasional heavy storm.  I use my singe-stage for everything else.  Could I optimize my Ariens by removing the stock 250cc Polar Force engine and bolting on a bigger engine...let's say a 342cc or something similar?  Is there a bigger Briggs (Polar force, Intek, etc.) that would mount on that frame and accomplish my objective without too much modification?  The stock engine is ok, but if my goal is to cut down the EOD pile and be able to throw it across the street would the big motor/24" bucket combo get me there?  I don't care about the warranty.  Can anyone recommend a specific engine for this project and the associated parts (pulleys, belts,etc.) that might be required?  And of course some extra shear pins! 
This message was modified Sep 23, 2014 by slinger
Replies: 17 - 26 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" EOD Machine?
Reply #17   Oct 9, 2011 10:31 am
Sorry about that, forget about what I said in my last post.  I didn't realize that your blower has a three belt system. That pulley from Grainger may work.  But your going to have to make sure
that the spacing between the two grooves is the same as your stock pulley. If the belts aren't spaced exactly the same they will never stay on the impeller shaft pulley. You'll also have to make
sure that you will be able to get the new pulley positioned on the crankshaft so that you have good vertical alignment of the belts between the drive pulley and the impeller pulley.

The problem you may run into with this. Is that the Grainger pulley has the collar with the set screws to hold it on the crank.  You may have to slid it on the crank with the collar forward. And then find out
that when you get the belts aligned vertically that the collar with the set screws is to far off the end of the crank for the set screws to do any good.  Or if you put the pulley on with the collar in the
back it may hit the other pulley before you can slid it on far enough to get good vertical alignment. There really isn't any way to know if the Grainger pulley will work without buying and trying it out.

Your RPMs calculations sound about right.  And I would agree that a 3.95" would be to large. The increase in impeller RPM will make some difference. In that you will be able to process more snow
 through the blower at any given forward speed than you could before.  Decreasing the space between the impeller blade tips and the housing will also make the most noticeable difference in the blowers ability to really throw wet and slushy snow without clogging the chute. Just a heads up, you may have to modify the belt cover with the larger diameter pulley's.

slinger

Reply #18   Oct 28, 2011 9:28 pm
Well, changing the 2 groove auger drive pulley on the engine shaft is a no-go.  Ariens uses a custom made part that extends the pulleys past the end of the shaft by a couple of inches.  So, the other alternative is to reduce the size of the 2 groove pulley that goes on the impeller shaft.  The stock part is 8.5" diameter with a 1.65" center hole and 3 bolt pattern that mounts the hub.  Does anyone know of a similar pulley that  measures between 6 to7" in diameter or am I dead in the water again?

jrtrebor

Reply #19   Oct 29, 2011 10:14 am
slinger wrote:
Well, changing the 2 groove auger drive pulley on the engine shaft is a no-go.  Ariens uses a custom made part that extends the pulleys past the end of the shaft by a couple of inches.  So, the other alternative is to reduce the size of the 2 groove pulley that goes on the impeller shaft.  The stock part is 8.5" diameter with a 1.65" center hole and 3 bolt pattern that mounts the hub.  Does anyone know of a similar pulley that  measures between 6 to7" in diameter or am I dead in the water again?

That pulley looks a lot like and automotive pulley.  You might try a junk yard. Maybe you could get lucky and find one with the OD your looking for.  The center hub hole will probably not match yours.
But a competent machine shop or do it yourselfer could get your hub mounted.  The offset could also be an issue but possibly resolved with shims / washers on the hub. I'm sure it's do-able if you can
find one with the right diameter.
carlb

Re: 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - is a smaller impeller pulley available? Picture attached
Reply #20   Oct 29, 2011 12:07 pm
Strange that they would allow the pulley to sit out 2" past the end of the shaft which is probably 2 7/8" long as this will put a lot of stress on the main engine shaft bearing.  One option you have is to have a piece of 1" dia stock center drilled for the correct size hole so you can bolt the crankshaft extension to the original shaft and effectively extending the crankshaft 2"  i would suggest using a grade 8 bolt of the correct thread and size to attach it with.  Any machine shop can easily center drill the shaft on a milling machine. I suspect this would be easier than trying to find the correct size lower pulley with the correct offset.

Carl
slinger

Re: 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - is a smaller impeller pulley available? Picture attached
Reply #21   Oct 29, 2011 12:40 pm
Yes, the accessory drive pulley on the engine shaft is a unique design.  It is keyed and slides on the shaft easily.  All pulleys (this one and the drive pulley below it) are held in place on the engine shaft by a 3/8" x 2" long bolt in the end of the shaft.

carlb

Reply #22   Oct 29, 2011 1:14 pm
you could have the machine shop  drill and key a larger piece of stock to go over the existing crankshaft end and then have it turned down to 1" to accept standard pulleys further out but that might get a little expensive.  That appears to be a very short crankshaft end sticking out of the engine
This message was modified Oct 29, 2011 by carlb
slinger

Reply #23   Oct 29, 2011 3:34 pm
carlb:  The engine driveshaft is actually 2 7/8" long just as you thought.  The drive pulley is still on the shaft in the picture.  It probably looks shorter because it's cold in the garage!
jrtrebor

Reply #24   Oct 29, 2011 7:04 pm
slinger wrote:
 Could I optimize my Ariens by removing the stock 250cc Polar Force engine and bolting on a bigger engine...let's say a 342cc or something similar?  Is there a bigger Briggs (Polar force, Intek, etc.) that would mount on that frame and accomplish my objective without too much modification? 

If you go up to something like a 342cc (11hp) from a 250cc (8hp).  Your probably getting into a different block size.  Eight and ten horse blocks are usually the same.  11 & 13 horse are usually the same but
larger than the eight and ten. It's that way with Honda's so I'm assuming it's that way with Briggs.  If it is, then the engine mount bolts holes will be different.  The crankshaft vertical center line
will be higher and the engine will probably have to be moved back on the blower.  The belt cover may also not fit because of the higher crankshaft.  Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out
some other things that may be involved in re-powering your blower. 

Another modification that you might consider.  Check to see how much clearance you have between the tips of the impeller
blades and the impeller housing. If it's more than a 1/8" say 1/4 to 5/16".  Buying an impeller kit or extending the blades by adding on weld. Will give you a noticeable improvement in throwing
distance. And the blowers ability to throw really wet almost slushy snow.  Having said that, improving the impellers efficiency will also put a bigger load on the engine.
But you could then upgrade from the 8hp to a 10hp (instead of an 11hp) to pick up some additional power.  And staying with the same block size would eliminate the problems of going up a block size.
Assuming the eight and ten horse Briggs engines share the same block size.  Just some thoughts.
 I re-powered my Ariens 1032 with an 11hp Honda clone (and have now put a 13hp Honda on it)
Increased the the blower drive pulley from 2 3/4" to 3 1/4".  And decreased the impeller blade clearance to 1/16+
Here is a video of the throwing distances it has now.  Most of the snow was dense over plow and had been sitting for days. It's great fun to use!
Doing the same modifications on a blower with a 24" bucket instead if a 32" bucket.  And you would have no trouble throwing across the street.
Blower video
This message was modified Oct 29, 2011 by jrtrebor
aa335

Reply #25   Oct 29, 2011 8:15 pm
I really enjoy watching that video.  That modified Ariens is a beast.  Have you noticed significant difference with the 13 hp Honda clone engine?
jrtrebor

Reply #26   Oct 29, 2011 9:58 pm
aa335 wrote:
I really enjoy watching that video.  That modified Ariens is a beast.  Have you noticed significant difference with the 13 hp Honda clone engine?

I'm glad you enjoyed the video.  I really like your stable of blowers. Especially the 1132 that is a beauty.
The 13hp is on the blower and ready to go (still trying to work out a few things with the Lighting coil).  But will need some snow to put to the test.  I live just north of you about 2 1/2 hours in Grand Haven Mi.
I'll be really interested to see how it performs this year with the 13hp.
 I also added a lower gear to slow it down a little.
 Put a slight taper (3/8" on both sides) on the deflector to tighten up the stream a little. 

Replaced the auger shaft bushings with flange bearing and installed a new impeller shaft bearing.
 It made a noticeable difference installing the auger shaft bearings. When the blower is off and I spin the impeller. Both the impeller
and the augers spin much freer than they did before. So that should take some needless drag off the engine.
I had a Honda 928 for a while and loved the Hydro drive. You can dial in the correct forward speed for any snow conditions and circumstances.
A great feature!
Replies: 17 - 26 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42