Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - higher impeller speed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - higher impeller speed
Original Message   Oct 5, 2011 5:02 pm
I have a 2010 Platinum 24.  I only seem to use it for EOD duty and the occasional heavy storm.  I use my singe-stage for everything else.  Could I optimize my Ariens by removing the stock 250cc Polar Force engine and bolting on a bigger engine...let's say a 342cc or something similar?  Is there a bigger Briggs (Polar force, Intek, etc.) that would mount on that frame and accomplish my objective without too much modification?  The stock engine is ok, but if my goal is to cut down the EOD pile and be able to throw it across the street would the big motor/24" bucket combo get me there?  I don't care about the warranty.  Can anyone recommend a specific engine for this project and the associated parts (pulleys, belts,etc.) that might be required?  And of course some extra shear pins! 
This message was modified Sep 23, 2014 by slinger
Replies: 27 - 36 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - is a smaller impeller pulley available? Picture attached
Reply #27   Oct 30, 2011 12:08 am
I've been following the modifications that you have done on the Ariens, very impressed with the resourcefulness.  I'm glad you have the tools and technique to do.  That Ariens has great ability to move a good volume of snow, and I think the tapering of the chute deflector will help tighten the stream.

My Honda 1132 was bought brand new and still all stock.  It is a beauty and moves snow so well that I've never had any urge to modify it.  It doesn't quite have the volumetric capacity of your modified Ariens, but it is a highly efficient machine that puts out a very tight stream of snow.  I've been studying why this is so and it comes down to the blower and chute section.  All the little nuances which you have incorporated into the Ariens, with the help of the huge 390cc engine.

I'm very proud of my stable of snowblowers.  Each one was chosen as the pinnacle or unique of its kind or time.  An Ariens Pro 28 might the next acquisition.  But not just yet, I'm waiting to see what else Ariens have to offer besides shoehorning a huge engine.  That's too easy for other manufacturers to leapfrog.

Looking forward to seeing more of your videos of the Ariens with the new 390cc engine.  Perhaps a gently curved metal chute with a 2 section deflector is on your list of mods.
This message was modified Oct 30, 2011 by aa335
slinger

Re: 2010 Ariens Platinum 24" - is a smaller impeller pulley available? Picture attached
Reply #28   Oct 30, 2011 1:17 am
"If you go up to something like a 342cc (11hp) from a 250cc (8hp). Your probably getting into a different block size. Eight and ten horse blocks are usually the same. 11 & 13 horse are usually the same but
larger than the eight and ten. It's that way with Honda's so I'm assuming it's that way with Briggs. If it is, then the engine mount bolts holes will be different. The crankshaft vertical center line
will be higher and the engine will probably have to be moved back on the blower. The belt cover may also not fit because of the higher crankshaft."

Actually,  the Ariens Platinum 24 & 30 differ mostly in the bucket and the motor.  The engine mount area is drilled for both the 250cc engine and the 342cc.  The 342 mounts a little further back to allow for the larger size.  The pulleys are the same, so the same belt cover is used, the crankshaft height is the same....if all I wanted to do is swap engines it's a breeze and requires only a few bucks worth of stock Ariens parts.  But that does me no good without being able to increase the impeller rpms at least a little to improve throw performance.  If I can't achieve that I'll probably just do an impeller kit and call it a day.  So close but yet so far without the right pulleys which appear to be custom parts. 

carlb

Reply #29   Oct 30, 2011 7:46 am
I fear, based on the photo of the Ariens pulley for the impeller, you will have no choice except custom parts to achive your goal of increasing impeller speed.  While the lower pulley may be an option if you can find an automotive type with the correct offset and diameter it will not be easy and winter is just around the corner.  If I remember correctly you said your impeller clearance was about 1/4".  If you put an impeller kit on it will make quite a difference and you may still achive your goal of a further throwing machine.  Going slow and not allowing the engine to bog will also help maintain a good throwing distance.  

Good Luck

Carl
carlb

Reply #30   Oct 30, 2011 8:19 am
jrtrebor wrote:
If you go up to something like a 342cc (11hp) from a 250cc (8hp).  Your probably getting into a different block size.  Eight and ten horse blocks are usually the same.  11 & 13 horse are usually the same but
larger than the eight and ten. It's that way with Honda's so I'm assuming it's that way with Briggs.  If it is, then the engine mount bolts holes will be different.  The crankshaft vertical center line
will be higher and the engine will probably have to be moved back on the blower.  The belt cover may also not fit because of the higher crankshaft.  Not trying to discourage you, just pointing out
some other things that may be involved in re-powering your blower. 

Another modification that you might consider.  Check to see how much clearance you have between the tips of the impeller
blades and the impeller housing. If it's more than a 1/8" say 1/4 to 5/16".  Buying an impeller kit or extending the blades by adding on weld. Will give you a noticeable improvement in throwing
distance. And the blowers ability to throw really wet almost slushy snow.  Having said that, improving the impellers efficiency will also put a bigger load on the engine.
But you could then upgrade from the 8hp to a 10hp (instead of an 11hp) to pick up some additional power.  And staying with the same block size would eliminate the problems of going up a block size.
Assuming the eight and ten horse Briggs engines share the same block size.  Just some thoughts.
 I re-powered my Ariens 1032 with an 11hp Honda clone (and have now put a 13hp Honda on it)
Increased the the blower drive pulley from 2 3/4" to 3 1/4".  And decreased the impeller blade clearance to 1/16+
Here is a video of the throwing distances it has now.  Most of the snow was dense over plow and had been sitting for days. It's great fun to use!
Doing the same modifications on a blower with a 24" bucket instead if a 32" bucket.  And you would have no trouble throwing across the street.
Blower video

Great video,  That 32" ariens with that 11hp clone is doing a great Job.  I just got done doing a 11hp clone install on a early 80's 26" cub cadet large frame machine.  This cub has a 14" diameter impeller with 16" diameter augers.   I expect to move the snow very effectively being only 26" wide.  

jrtrebor

Reply #31   Oct 30, 2011 9:47 am
slinger - What is the OD of the stock pulley on your blower right now?
slinger

Reply #32   Oct 30, 2011 10:37 am
The stock diameter of the 2 groove pulley on the engine driveshaft is 2.5"   The diameter of the stock 2 groove pulley on the impeller shaft is 8.5"
Snowmann

Reply #33   Oct 30, 2011 10:46 am
Why don't you use the Pro upper sheave and belt finger? It will speed up the impeller 7%. You will need a bigger engine than the 249cc Briggs to speed up the impeller (and some longer belts). Even with the 342cc engine I wouldn't go too much larger than the Pro sheave. Remember the blade tip speed on a 14" impeller is 17% faster than a 12", and the capacity is much higher. If you plan to use RPM's modeled around a 12" impeller you'll need 20hp. BTW, if you modify the lower pulley you'll need to rig up some brake and lower belt finger modifications or you'll never be able to declutch the auger.
slinger

Reply #34   Oct 30, 2011 11:24 am
So let me see if I have this correct:  To speed the impeller up 7% from 1010 rpm (spec. from owners manual) to 1080.7,  I could simply install the 2 groove sheave for the pro models.  That puts it's diameter at something like 2.65" if I'm calculating correctly.  That small increase in size might even allow for the use of the stock belt cover. I guess that will depend on the width/height of the the new belt finger.  Will that small of an increase make a difference worth pursuing is the question... 
This message was modified Oct 30, 2011 by slinger
slinger

Reply #35   Nov 3, 2011 10:39 pm
I have decided to stick with the stock Briggs & Stratton 1150 series engine (with ball bearings on the crank), and just install an impeller kit of my own fabrication.  The Ariens impellers are a little tricky to work with due to the fact that it's a five segmented half curve shape, but I believe I've got it worked out.  I'll let you all know how it works as soon as we get some white stuff...
slinger

Reply #36   Sep 21, 2014 10:11 am
A few years after I had this idea for modding my platinum (see previous posts above), Ariens went and did it by introducing the Platinum SHO models! More hp combined with higher impeller speed = greater throw for those of us who might benefit from it.
Now I just have to wait until the parts lists and diagrams show up on Ariens Parts Radar to see if they came out with a larger diameter dual-belt drive pulley that will work for my application.
Replies: 27 - 36 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42