Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Any new snowblowers out for 2012

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Any new snowblowers out for 2012
Original Message   Sep 19, 2011 7:44 pm
Does anyone know of any new snowblowers out for 2012? Looking to trade in my Toro 826OXE for something with a larger motor. I am leaning toward a larger Toro but  I am open. Any suggestions?
This message was modified Sep 20, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 1 - 92 of 92View as Outline
aa335

Re: Any new snowblowers out for 2012
Reply #1   Sep 23, 2011 12:40 pm
Yes, this machine is brand new.  Everybody else is just recycling their models with stickers, hand warmers, slick chute controls, bigger engines, and heavier gear cases and calling it "NEW". 

There's nothing like it in the US market.  There's nothing priced like it either!   For 2012, I present you the ultimate Jonesing snow machine:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2SB&modelname=HS1336IAS&modelid=HS1336IAS

If that price is a shocker, there's the next model down priced at $3399.
This message was modified Sep 23, 2011 by aa335
stresst

Reply #2   Sep 23, 2011 5:51 pm
This message was modified Sep 23, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
aa335

Reply #3   Sep 23, 2011 6:26 pm
stresst wrote:

Priceless.
letitsnow

Reply #4   Sep 25, 2011 10:33 am
New Toro 926 OXE. Looks like the 826 OXE, but WITHOUT the Briggs and replaced with an R*TEK. It has 265cc opposed to 250cc for the 826 OXE. Any  thoughts on the change to the R*TEK?
aa335

Reply #5   Sep 25, 2011 11:03 pm
le$#%*now wrote:
New Toro 926 OXE. Looks like the 826 OXE, but WITHOUT the Briggs and replaced with an R*TEK. It has 265cc opposed to 250cc for the 826 OXE. Any  thoughts on the change to the R*TEK?

The only R*tek engine on a two stage snowblower is the Toro 726, which has been discontinued.  Where did you see info on the Toro 926OXE with R*tek engine?
letitsnow

Reply #6   Sep 25, 2011 11:05 pm
snowblowers direct
aa335

Reply #7   Sep 25, 2011 11:07 pm
That model 926 OXE is a 4 stroke engine, not identified as a Brigss and Stratton R*tek.  265cc is a huge displacement for a 2 stroke R'tek engine.  I don't think it exists.
letitsnow

Reply #8   Sep 25, 2011 11:28 pm
it states 4 cycle R*Tek and is consitent with a rumor I heard through a Toro dealer last week. He said that his shipments of the 726 and 826 will no longer have the briggs, but a toro labeled engine from china. he didnt know any other details and did not state R*tek, but now after finding the 926 oxe,  it seems obvious that something is going on with the new Toro's. I havent seen any official announcement from Toro or briggs. I am very curious. wondering if toro finally caved to the big box stores and is trying to compete with the price point of the lower quality machines (MTD).
aa335

Reply #9   Sep 26, 2011 12:38 pm
Toro website didn't even have the 926 OXE model listed yet.  Funny how snowblowerdirect.com is listing it for sale.  Their website list the 926 OXE with a 4-stroke engine.

R*tek is the name for 141cc  two - stroke engine that's been around for a long time, typically found on a single stage snowblowers only, with exception of a Toro 726.
Snowmann

Reply #10   Sep 26, 2011 11:10 pm
R-Tek = Loncin 4 stroke. Same engine brand as their single stage units.
letitsnow

Reply #11   Sep 27, 2011 12:39 am
If you go to the toro website and search model numbers, they show a few new models for 2012 that have a "Toro" engine. This includes the 926 OXE (38661). When you look up the warranty info for the model, it list Briggs for the warranty coverage. Not sure what to make of it. It doesnt say R*Tek anywhere. But it says Toro for the engine opposed to the 726 and 826 which say Briggs.  Does anyone have a theory on this? Why would they stop listing briggs as the mfr?
aa335

Reply #12   Sep 27, 2011 10:58 am
le$#%*now wrote:
If you go to the toro website and search model numbers, they show a few new models for 2012 that have a "Toro" engine. This includes the 926 OXE (38661). When you look up the warranty info for the model, it list Briggs for the warranty coverage. Not sure what to make of it. It doesnt say R*Tek anywhere. But it says Toro for the engine opposed to the 726 and 826 which say Briggs.  Does anyone have a theory on this? Why would they stop listing briggs as the mfr?

Yes, I found it on their website, on support pages rather than on their snowblower line up though.

My theory is since China makes engines for many companies, why not source it directly from the manufacturer rather than branded Briggs equivalent, especially if you got the volume buy with competitive pricing.  Skip the middle man unless the buyer has a warm and fuzzy confidence having a Briggs sticker on their engine.  But then again, if Briggs is making snowblowers too, why slap their label on your snowblower unless they pay you.
letitsnow

Reply #13   Sep 27, 2011 1:15 pm
If Briggs did indeed mfr the new Toro engine, and it is being branded as Toro opposed to Briggs, my guess is that  the quality standard/quality requirement for the mfr of the engine is lower (cheaper components, more defects allowable per X number of engines, etc) than the Briggs quality level, so rather than potentially tarnish the Briggs name with a sub-standard engine, they agreed to make this engine specifically for Toro with the Toro label. In the end, Toro probably decided that the new "Toro" engine is still a significant upgrade over the competition (MTD chinese engines), that it is a small risk for them and a potential huge upside in that they can sell the snowblower for a more competitve price at the big box stores thereby increasing market share. A win- win for everyone except the guy who can't start his Toro in the middle of a blizzard. And to add to that, and maybe this is a bit of a stretch, BUT, realizing that  their snowblowers are averaging a lifespan of 16yrs and MTD is 8yrs (arbitrary numbers), they wouldnt mind dropping the lifespan to around 10-12 in order to sell more "replacement" machines to the Toro faithful.
stresst

Reply #14   Sep 27, 2011 8:17 pm
I would like a 10hp in a 26" wide unit, not about to sell mine and dump another 800 only for 1hp!

TORO 826OXE
longboat

Reply #15   Sep 28, 2011 9:43 am
aa335 wrote:
Yes, I found it on their website, on support pages rather than on their snowblower line up though.

My theory is since China makes engines for many companies, why not source it directly from the manufacturer rather than branded Briggs equivalent, especially if you got the volume buy with competitive pricing.  Skip the middle man unless the buyer has a warm and fuzzy confidence having a Briggs sticker on their engine.  But then again, if Briggs is making snowblowers too, why slap their label on your snowblower unless they pay you.

Do you guys ever watch the show "How It's Made"?  The monologue is rather dry, but the show gives a fresh perspective on manufacturing.  Now, remember when VCRs were very popular and millions were being sold every year, under hundreds of different brand names?  There were like four factories in the world manufacturing all of these VCRs.  If you're a retailer, all you have to do is purchase X number of products from a manufacturer to be able to put your name on them (my uncle was an electronics dealer, so I learned this at an early age).  The mfr. doesn't care so much whether their name is on it, they get to move more product which keeps their factories running at capacity which makes for a higher profit margin in the end.  If you've ever run a construction company, you know that downtime is more expensive than uptime, because your equipment is not working and turning a profit.

All this is to say that there are maybe a half-dozen major snowblower manufacturers in the world, and maybe two or three major engine manufacturers that build engines specifically for winter use (snowblowing).  MTD is likely the largest snowblower manufacturer and their machines are sold under a half-dozen or more name brands (Craftsman, Cub Cadet, White, Bolens, Troybilt, etc.).  

Now, when these machines (or engines) are built in the factories, they typically are not continuously running down a conveyor belt with workers adding parts along the assembly line.  Rather, they are built in batches (or runs, designated by serial numbers), mostly by robots, with a few human workers in there to add parts that would be too costly to program robots to do, and to do quality control / quality assurance.  As each batch gets run, they can alter the components, such as types of metal, thickness of metal, metal vs. plastic, cast vs. forged, etc.  Therefore, a single factory can manufacture low-quality units as well as high-quality units depending on the components they use.  They can adjust their manufacturing components and end-products to meet the specifications of a large retailer, hence the minor differences in otherwise identical machines.

All of the rest is marketing...

This message was modified Sep 28, 2011 by longboat
aa335

Reply #16   Sep 28, 2011 10:32 am
stresst wrote:
I would like a 10hp in a 26" wide unit, not about to sell mine and dump another 800 only for 1hp!

Perhaps this question should have been asked earlier.  What aspect of snow removal performance are you not satisfied with the current Toro 826OXE?   Volume or distance?
This message was modified Sep 28, 2011 by aa335
stresst

Reply #17   Sep 29, 2011 9:10 pm
Dont get me wrong my Toro had 1/2 of my block drooling watching mine cut through the 26"+ inches and 4' EOD mounds but I want more. I have a semi detached house with a narrow driveway (houses both sides) and I would like a bit more throwing distance which I guess goes hand in hand with more power.

I am not sure how the Husqvarna 14527E & 1827EXLT turn compared to the Toro but I really want to check them out. I also know Snapper/Simplicity make some monster motor machines as well. Any adivce on the Husky's or Snapp/Simp's?

TORO 826OXE
Shryp

Reply #18   Sep 29, 2011 10:28 pm
A bigger engine doesn't usually mean more throwing distance.  A bigger engine just means it will be less likely to bog down if you hit a full bucket of heavy stuff.  This in turn will get you more distance for heavy and deep snow, but if you are not loading it up enough to bog the engine down you are going to have the impeller spinning at the same speed no matter what size engine you have.  Now if you do get a bigger engine you can go with a different "gear ratio" on the auger pulleys to spin the impeller faster and that will get you more distance.  The down side to this is more wear and tear on the machine and it requires more torque to keep from bogging down.  In a stock configuration you are going to see the same performance no matter what size blower you get.  You engine is probably rated for 3600 rpm +/-150 so maybe get yourself a small tach and check what rpm your engine is at and maybe yours is running on the low side around 3400 rpm and you could bump it up to the 3600 - 3800 range.  This will spin your impeller a little bit faster and get a little more distance.  Obviously the faster the engine spins the faster it will wear out.  Anything over 3800 RPM and you are probably chancing blowing the connecting rod so don't go crazy with it.
Bill_H

Reply #19   Sep 29, 2011 11:34 pm
What Shryp said. Impeller speed sets the throwing distance. If you're not bogged down more power won't help.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
FrankMA

Reply #20   Sep 30, 2011 7:54 am
stresst wrote:
Dont get me wrong my Toro had 1/2 of my block drooling watching mine cut through the 26"+ inches and 4' EOD mounds but I want more. I have a semi detached house with a narrow driveway (houses both sides) and I would like a bit more throwing distance which I guess goes hand in hand with more power.

If you want consistent long range throwing distance, consider a Honda. I had a HS624WA (6 HP) for 10 years and now own a HS928TA (9 HP) and both will throw the snow 45'+. The biggest difference I see between the 6 and 9 HP is that the 9 HP does not bog down like my 6 HP would on the EOD garbage. Both will consistently chug right through heavy deep snow but the 9 HP has the guts to keep up the RPM's when tackling the EOD slop and continue to toss the snow/slop a respectable distance. I never had a problem with either the 6 or 9 HP going through virgin deep snow unless it was seriously wet borderline slush type snow.
This message was modified Sep 30, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #21   Sep 30, 2011 11:39 am
stresst wrote:

I am not sure how the Husqvarna 14527E & 1827EXLT turn compared to the Toro but I really want to check them out. I also know Snapper/Simplicity make some monster motor machines as well. Any adivce on the Husky's or Snapp/Simp's?

Based on your driveway and house situation,  I would look hard into fine tuning your technique to reduce or not having to double throwing the snow with your existing machine.  Look at it this way, if you can't get around a tight race track with a Mazda Miata fast enough, a high powered Corvette or Ferrari isn't going to be any faster. 

With that said, if you decide in the upgrade in horsepower or a more powerful machine, you won't know if the new machine will solve your problem.  You may get 5, 10, or 15 feet (optimistically) more throwing distance than your existing snowblower.  That's some cash to gamble.  Is this additional power often needed for most snowstorms, or only a few major ones?

As others have said, more horsepower doesn't necessarily mean more throwing distance.  Engines are governed at specific RPMs, and the impeller speed has a fixed ratio.  With a bigger engine, the snowblower will be more comfortable processing heavy, packed snow without slowing down ground speed.

Another technique that most single stage snowblowers (with smaller and less powerful engine), use is to go out and clear the snow more often.  They don't let the snow pile up that will overwhelm their machine. 
joeg

Reply #22   Nov 1, 2011 6:16 pm
le$#%*now wrote:
If Briggs did indeed mfr the new Toro engine, and it is being branded as Toro opposed to Briggs, my guess is that  the quality standard/quality requirement for the mfr of the engine is lower (cheaper components, more defects allowable per X number of engines, etc) than the Briggs quality level, so rather than potentially tarnish the Briggs name with a sub-standard engine, they agreed to make this engine specifically for Toro with the Toro label. In the end, Toro probably decided that the new "Toro" engine is still a significant upgrade over the competition (MTD chinese engines), that it is a small risk for them and a potential huge upside in that they can sell the snowblower for a more competitve price at the big box stores thereby increasing market share. A win- win for everyone except the guy who can't start his Toro in the middle of a blizzard. And to add to that, and maybe this is a bit of a stretch, BUT, realizing that  their snowblowers are averaging a lifespan of 16yrs and MTD is 8yrs (arbitrary numbers), they wouldnt mind dropping the lifespan to around 10-12 in order to sell more "replacement" machines to the Toro faithful.

from an earlier message that said they suspected it was a loncin engine, i looked up the loncin engine company (see link below) - and i believe the specs match the 926 engine -- same displacement and the pictures look similar -- i think its a fine engine - i bet toro had to go with a more powerful engine because of complaints on the 826 and brigs couldn't meet the price point/spec without getting too close to the 1028 model-- so they went with this manufacturer -- Toro i am sure is very careful in their sourcing -- especially engines and will not risk the warranty costs and reputation hit for a few bucks -its never been toro's style -- its probably a product positioning thing -- and the next engine up on the brigs was somewhere near the power of the 1028 -- so they couldn't distinguish it by the way under full disclosure- i have a vested interest in the 926oxe -- i just bought one today -- the 826oxe was available but as a prior year model -- only difference was the engine - -- i went with the latest -- again they would not have changed the engine if they didn't think the 826 was underpowered -- these guys are not seeing a tremendous price pressure in the big box stores -- they are holding the price because of their brand -- again i could see if they were going to do something it would be on the lower end by the way - the ariens felt real cheap in comparison http://www.loncinengine.com/Product60/Detailed91/#Text
blumonster

Reply #23   Nov 1, 2011 6:34 pm
stresst wrote:
Does anyone know of any new snowblowers out for 2012? Looking to trade in my Toro 826OXE for something with a larger motor. I am leaning toward a larger Toro but  I am open. Any suggestions?

Maybe it is too late, stresst, but today I read that Honda released a brand new 2 stage snow blower which is a hybrid on 27 October 2011. I do not know anything about the price but if you have money to spread around this new snowblower deserves it. :P

http://www.wisesales.com/honda-hs1336ias-snowblower.html

This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by blumonster
stresst

Reply #24   Nov 1, 2011 8:31 pm
blumonster wrote:
Maybe it is too late, stresst, but today I read that Honda released a brand new 2 stage snow blower which is a hybrid on 27 October 2011. I do not know anything about the price but if you have money to spread around this new snowblower deserves it. :P

WOW that thing is nuts! Reminds me of an ATV with tracks and blower attachment! This thing must be 10K!

TORO 826OXE
MrNuke

Reply #25   Nov 1, 2011 8:44 pm
I had noticed the 926 from Toro before as a new model, but just looking at their website tonight they now have a 928 oxe as well as a new 1028 oxe.   All three have the "Toro"  engines as opposed the B&S from previous models or years in the case of the 1028.  I'm wondering if it is a case of them exhausting their existing B&S stock for the two stages and then switching over to the other engines. 
This message was modified Nov 1, 2011 by MrNuke
joeg

Reply #26   Nov 1, 2011 10:20 pm
stresst wrote:
WOW that thing is nuts! Reminds me of an ATV with tracks and blower attachment! This thing must be 10K!

that is wild looking -- i think i saw something like that in the movie "the hurt locker" -- its gotta be 10k
Steve_Cebu

Reply #27   Nov 2, 2011 4:31 am
joeg wrote:
that is wild looking -- i think i saw something like that in the movie "the hurt locker" -- its gotta be 10k

It's normally only a Canadian model, and in Canada is probably $8K IIRC. It's good to see someone in the US carrying the Pro machines from Honda.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #28   Nov 2, 2011 4:47 am
MrNuke wrote:
I had noticed the 926 from Toro before as a new model, but just looking at their website tonight they now have a 928 oxe as well as a new 1028 oxe.   All three have the "Toro"  engines as opposed the B&S from previous models or years in the case of the 1028.  I'm wondering if it is a case of them exhausting their existing B&S stock for the two stages and then switching over to the other engines. 

I took a look at their web site page, too.  They have two versions of the 1028OXE.  Each has a different model number.  Some of these Power Max models have the Briggs engine, some have the "Toro Premium OHV" engines.  Click on the "Model" tab, then use the right arrow to find the 926OXE, 928OXE, and the two versions of the 1028OXE.  Then click on "Specifications" to see the engine description "Toro Premium OHV".

I, too, wonder what's going on?  Who makes this "Toro Premium OHV" engine?
This message was modified Nov 2, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #29   Nov 2, 2011 5:38 am
coasteray wrote:
I took a look at their web site page, too.  They have two versions of the 1028OXE.  Each has a different model number.  Some of these Power Max models have the Briggs engine, some have the "Toro Premium OHV" engines.  Click on the "Model" tab, then use the right arrow to find the 926OXE, 928OXE, and the two versions of the 1028OXE.  Then click on "Specifications" to see the engine description "Toro Premium OHV".

I, too, wonder what's going on?  Who makes this "Toro Premium OHV" engine?

I'm just glad I got the Briggs & Stratton engine on mine when I did.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #30   Nov 2, 2011 10:14 am
Toro has been quietly phasing away from dependence on B&S engines for the last 5 years or so.  It started with the Toro 221Q, which is on a platform that can take any engine, not just B&S.  Subaru and Honda are also viable premium alternatives.

It's probably not a bad idea for Toro and everyone else to get engines directly from China built to their spec rather than going to B&S which also gets engines manufactured in China.  Also, because B&S also bought up a few snowblower companies and having their own machines competing the same market, its only prudent for other manufacturers such as Toro and Ariens to secure other supply channels.

There's skepticism about Chinese engines, it's only a matter of time for people to have confidence in them.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #31   Nov 2, 2011 10:55 am
aa335 wrote:
Toro has been quietly phasing away from dependence on B&S engines for the last 5 years or so.  It started with the Toro 221Q, which is on a platform that can take any engine, not just B&S.  Subaru and Honda are also viable premium alternatives.

It's probably not a bad idea for Toro and everyone else to get engines directly from China built to their spec rather than going to B&S which also gets engines manufactured in China.  Also, because B&S also bought up a few snowblower companies and having their own machines competing the same market, its only prudent for other manufacturers such as Toro and Ariens to secure other supply channels.

There's skepticism about Chinese engines, it's only a matter of time for people to have confidence in them.

When you pay close to $2k for a snowblower you do not want a Loncin engine on it. If I was buying a $600 Home DDepotcheapie then ok as they need to cut costs somewhere. But upper end Toro's are a premium brand. Subaru would be a good choice of engine as well.

Randy

Reply #32   Nov 4, 2011 11:31 am
Hello,  my name is Randy.  I purchased an 826 OXE about two weeks ago.  I got a call two days ago that "it" was in and they delivered the machine yesterday afternoon.  I was delighted with my new purchase,............for about 1 minute until I looked up at the outside of the cockpit and saw the name "926 OXE" and the engine was labeled as a Toro.  So I complained about the fact that it wasn't the machine I ordered and that I would be talking to the owner of the shop tomorrow, (he wasn't there yesterday).  The guy that delivered the machine went back to the shop, called Toro directly, called me and said  what was going on is that they will no longer be making the 826 with the Briggs and what was replacing the old model was the 926 with the Toro engine.  I later somewhat confirmed this by noticing on a few web sites that sell snowblowers that where they had the 926 OXE listed, they also had right beside the listing, "Replacing the 826 OXE."

So, I spent most of my afternoon and night yesterday, researching everything that I could find out about this new engine.  There is VERY little info out there because it's so new. In fact, this forum was the only place I could find that was talking specifically about this issue.

Yesterday I also called Toro's customer support TWICE to see if I'd get the same answers.  On both calls I was told that the 926 was NOT replacing the 826 and that BOTH models were still being made and are part of the 2012 line up.  On the first call, I was also told that the new 926 Toro engine was in fact Toro's engine and was being manufactured in the U.S.,(a fact that I later found out was not at all true).  So giving them the benefit of the doubt, I assumed that customer service just didn't have the right information.  Who knows, could be that that's what they were told to say.

Skip to about an hour ago, I had a lengthy conversation with the shop owner who was in today.  He repeated the fact that the 826 was no longer being made and thought that the new engine on the 926 was a Toro R-Tek but said that he would call the factory directly and get to the bottom of it.

He called me back and here is what he was told:

The new engine on the Toro 926 OXE was in fact designed and engineered by Toro and they have been testing it since 2008.  They "believe" that it is a better engine than the Briggs.  Although they DID admit that it is being manufactured in China and the factory is literally only 20 miles away from a Briggs factory.  This shop owner also specifcally asked if it was a Loncin engine and the answer was, "No, it is a Toro engine".    So, there you have it.  What we are to take away from this, I'm not completely sure.  I joined this forum this morning solely so that I could add to what we know about this engine change.

So, this still leaves me to decide whether to buy the older 826 OXE or the new 926 OXE.  Obviously the 926 is a little larger.  Toro is saying that as apposed to just taking a Briggs and sticking it on the machine that the Toro engine was designed specifically FOR the machine and therefore they believe it is the better, stronger engine and is also better suited for the cold.

Here's what I decided.  I can read literally hundreds and hundreds of professional reviews and user reviews about the 826 OXE.  The vast majority of these reviews are absolutely GLOWING.  There is NO history to study about the new engine on the 926 OXE so I just don't feel safe spending $1300.00 on a machine with an engine that so far has no track record.  Maybe in a few years we will come to find out that the new engine really IS the better engine and that I made a mistake but there is just no way for me to know that at the present time.

My local guy called the local Toro rep and the rep said that he will bring him an 826 OXE by the middle of next week and I will then be buying what I had asked for in the first place.

So, I hope that in some way, my research will be of some help to others trying to decide between the two machines.  If you do decide that you would prefer the Briggs instead of the new Toro, I would suggest that you buy one THIS YEAR! 

This message was modified Nov 4, 2011 by Randy
Steve_Cebu

Reply #33   Nov 4, 2011 12:26 pm
I am glad I bought mine a few years ago. Supposedly these new engines are good and they very well could be.

The Toro website lists both  models with different numbers. Whether or not the 926 will replace the 826 is hard to say but it's possible I guess.

I think the 1028 models still have a B&S engine on them at least for this year but they could very well be replacing that with their own engine in the future.

aa335

Reply #34   Nov 4, 2011 12:37 pm
I bought a Toro 421QE.  This model had the Loncin engine that's on its second year that Toro has phased in.  I've had fuel leak at the carburetor, there's a recall going on, I have to take it in.  Bummer.  It only had 5 hours of run time on it.

I'm not happy that this problem showed up STILL on a second production year, especially since the smaller Toro 180 also had the same problem the year before.  However, I'm not too concerned or bothered by it because I have a backup snowblower, even the shop takes 4 weeks to fix it.

In your case, if this is your only snowblower and the one you rely on this winter, I'd take a conservative approach and go for the 826OXE, if stock is still available.

Or you can take a chance  with the new 926OXE, hoping Toro is on the ball this time. 

Or go up to the next model 1028OXE, with the B&S engine.  Very few people have been dissapointed with the power upgrade.  :)
This message was modified Nov 4, 2011 by aa335
MrNuke

Reply #35   Nov 4, 2011 4:23 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
The Toro website lists both  models with different numbers. Whether or not the 926 will replace the 826 is hard to say but it's possible I guess.
It certainly looks like that is what is going on with this year being somewhat of a transition year. 
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I think the 1028 models still have a B&S engine on them at least for this year but they could very well be replacing that with their own engine in the future.

People looking at the 1028 this year need to be even more careful.  Just from the looks of it the 1028 is in the same boat as the 826 and others, except for the fact Toro has a 2012 1028 OXE with the Toro engine.  It is the only model where they didn't alter the name. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #36   Nov 4, 2011 7:05 pm
MrNuke wrote:
It certainly looks like that is what is going on with this year being somewhat of a transition year. 

People looking at the 1028 this year need to be even more careful.  Just from the looks of it the 1028 is in the same boat as the 826 and others, except for the fact Toro has a 2012 1028 OXE with the Toro engine.  It is the only model where they didn't alter the name. 

Well it's certainly likely this is a transition year. That would make sese for the company to sell off all the B&S engines and into 2012 switch over to all Toro engines whih might be a good or bad thing. Time will tell.

I wasn't aware they had switched the B&S out of the 1028. I'll have  to swing by my dealer this weekend and see what the story is from him. He will at least know what engines teh machines he has in stock are.

Garth

Reply #37   Nov 4, 2011 7:08 pm
Supposedly dealers got a notice from Toro stating that there would be no more B&S engines next year. They will be the Toro engines.
stresst

Reply #38   Nov 4, 2011 7:54 pm
Garth wrote:
Supposedly dealers got a notice from Toro stating that there would be no more B&S engines next year. They will be the Toro engines.

I heard the same thing.......my job is looking for a blower went to look at the 1028 & 1128 and they told me the same thing.....

TORO 826OXE
MrNuke

Reply #39   Nov 4, 2011 8:32 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
 I wasn't aware they had switched the B&S out of the 1028. I'll have  to swing by my dealer this weekend and see what the story is from him. He will at least know what engines teh machines he has in stock are.

Here is the link to the toro site for the "new" 1028.  http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Snow-Blowers/Two-Stage/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=Power-Max-1028-OXE-38663  You can  click on the specifications tab on the link and see the "Toro" engine. 
MrNuke

Reply #40   Nov 4, 2011 8:33 pm
Garth wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Just looking at the Toro site and snow blowers direct, I had a feeling this is what was going on. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #41   Nov 5, 2011 10:18 am
The fact that it is a transition year means you can still find models with the B&S engines out there. But you'd have to ask the dealer to be certain.

Considering the new engine doesn't have a proven track record I would look for either an 826 or a 1028 with the B&S engine. If I was looking.

Garth

Reply #42   Nov 5, 2011 11:57 am
I was at a dealer today who had some Toro coming in and they have been delayed because of a storm I guess, sounded like he has not even been able to contact Toro if I understood it right. I will have to wait until next week to see if it will have a B&S or the new Toro engine. I am hoping for the B&S because this guy (independent dealer) will deliver for free and also pick up for free during the warranty period. Been in business for a long time too. Just my luck they will be the new engine. Seems like that is a move that could hurt Toro sales.
RobertL

Reply #43   Nov 5, 2011 3:45 pm

stresst wrote:

Just receive a 2012 1128OXE this past week.  The serial number starts with a 312, indicating a 2012 model.  They changed the belt cover slightly and the traction frame slightly, from the 2011 model.  Still a B&S engine...
This message was modified Nov 5, 2011 by RobertL
stresst

Reply #44   Nov 6, 2011 7:42 pm
stresst wrote:
I heard the same thing.......my job is looking for a blower went to look at the 1028 & 1128 and they told me the same thing.....

I am torn between getting them the 1028 or 1128??? We need something to clear the sidewalk around a 80K square foot building and two parking lots! Technically they need an ATV and a snowblower! But I guess this is a start!

TORO 826OXE
Steve_Cebu

Reply #45   Nov 6, 2011 10:14 pm
stresst wrote:
I am torn between getting them the 1028 or 1128??? We need something to clear the sidewalk around a 80K square foot building and two parking lots! Technically they need an ATV and a snowblower! But I guess this is a start!

Just look real carefully at that moving scraper bar and how unhappy you'll be if it jams on you in the middle of a storm.

aa335

Reply #46   Nov 7, 2011 11:35 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Just look real carefully at that moving scraper bar and how unhappy you'll be if it jams on you in the middle of a storm.

K.I.S.S.
duke88

Reply #47   Dec 8, 2011 8:42 pm
I bought a 826 OXE a couple weeks ago and used it once so far , 5 1/2"  wet heavy snow and it walked right through it with no problems. I also noticed  the 926 OXE after I got my 826 and was concerned about the different Toro engine.  I think I'll be happy with the 826 with the Briggs.  Funny the 926 sells for $1299  and the 826 is at $1499 now. Wonder if the Toro engine makes it $200 cheaper to build ?.
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #48   Dec 9, 2011 9:53 am
THe new Toro engines that says Toro on them, are built by one of the Chinese engine manufacturers,    Toro does not build engines.

aa335

Reply #49   Dec 9, 2011 11:10 am
duke88 wrote:
I bought a 826 OXE a couple weeks ago and used it once so far , 5 1/2"  wet heavy snow and it walked right through it with no problems. I also noticed  the 926 OXE after I got my 826 and was concerned about the different Toro engine.  I think I'll be happy with the 826 with the Briggs.  Funny the 926 sells for $1299  and the 826 is at $1499 now. Wonder if the Toro engine makes it $200 cheaper to build ?.

Probably not!  But the public and or Toro may perceive that the US branded B&S engine is worth $200 more.  The left over B&S engine snowblowers are getting rare, and paint Chinese engine in a bad light, so demands are up.  I see opportunities for sales people to get some more money out of this.  When they sold out of the B&S engine, then they'll sing praises for Chinese engines so you have confidence in it.  Hey, they do whatever to make the sale.
This message was modified Dec 9, 2011 by aa335
duke88

Reply #50   Dec 9, 2011 12:05 pm
Well the Toro engine looks good on paper with the cast iron bore liner & heavy crank bearings etc.  The B&S has an aluminum alloy bore.  I guess time will tell how good the Toro engine is.   I think most engines are ok if you do the maintenace properly and don't abuse them.
redtaven

Reply #51   Dec 9, 2011 2:39 pm
The TORO 926OXE has a Loncin Engine. Got it straight from a Toro dealer representative by "pretending" to be a local dealer. The rep. says been using Loncin for about 10 years in various products and going away from B&S due to competition and was very adamant about not re-establishing any relationship with B&S. Rep says backed by Toro and 3 year engine warranty.
I am about to order the 926OXE from HD when I started to do more research and really am on the fence as to the engine quality. The websites say that they also make BMW motorcycle engines and have gotten fairly decent reviews on other websites.
I am fearful about the parts and oil leaking talked about on this websites on some of Loncin other engines. Advice?
This message was modified Dec 9, 2011 by redtaven
borat

Reply #52   Dec 9, 2011 2:51 pm
Loncin make BMW engines?  Really?  Do you have a link for that?

I've also heard that HD make a lot of their engine components and other bike parts in China.  However, have yet to see anything on the internet to prove it.
redtaven

Reply #53   Dec 9, 2011 3:47 pm
Loncin Engine. Got it straight from a Toro dealer representative by pretending to be a local dealer. The rep. says been using Loncin for about 10 years in various products and going away from B&S due to competition and was very adamant about not re-establishing any relationship with B&S.
I am about to order the 926OXE from HD when I started to do more research and really am on the fence as to the engine quality. The websites say that they also make BMW motorcycle engines and have gotten fairly decent reviews on other websites.
I am fearful about the parts and oil leaking talked about on this websites on some of Loncin other engines. Advice?

Are you happy with the unit and build qualityy of the engine? Any chance you got a chance to test it out in snow conditions yet?
redtaven

Reply #54   Dec 9, 2011 4:17 pm
The site that I saw about a review about the Loncin factory is: http://bikeadvice.in/visit-loncin-motorcycle-factory-chongqing-china/

The review is 2 years old but I guess based on the reviewer the quality was good to better than good and I assume since they are now making engines for even more companies that the quailty is still acceptable. I need advice if to go with the 926 OXE as Home Depot allowing me a 20% discount on the online price.
royster

Reply #55   Dec 9, 2011 4:23 pm
blumonster wrote:

The literature states that there is a large box under the control panel, Keeps tools handy.

Does this suggest that your tools should be handy to repair this unit when it breaks down?

Looks like your tools would mostly electronic devices to test and adjust this model,

Probably could   only be  done by a Honda technician

The money spent for this machine could buy you a good used 4x4  truck with snowplow.

redtaven

Reply #56   Dec 9, 2011 4:30 pm
So to continue to add to this discussion. What do we know so far...Toro is dumping B&S engines and going with Loncin. With that said I can get a 926 OXE from my Home Depot for almost $1300 with delivery and tax or try this company on the web.
http://artagarden.com/products.php?product=Toro-Power-Max%C2%AE-826OXE-%2826%22%29-250cc-Two%252dStage-Snow-Blower

What do you all think? They are located in Indonesia, no 800 number and when I spoke to them via on-line chat the person said item will ship from USA in Minnesota.

Why consider them?  Well check out the prices almost $400 less on many Toro units but the s/h & taxes is $210.

Do I take a chance and save almost $200 on a 926 OXE that they sell for $899 plus $210 s/h = about $1109

What to do...new engine made in China and now a Far East company purporting to sell Toro well below others.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #57   Dec 9, 2011 4:35 pm
When they're new they all run great, it doesn't matter.  But when they're no longer new only the Honda still runs like new. Read the reviews from Honda snowblower owners years after they bought the machine, they rave about these reliable machines.
duke88

Reply #58   Dec 9, 2011 7:36 pm
redtaven wrote:
So to continue to add to this discussion. What do we know so far...Toro is dumping B&S engines and going with Loncin. With that said I can get a 926 OXE from my Home Depot for almost $1300 with delivery and tax or try this company on the web.
http://artagarden.com/products.php?product=Toro-Power-Max%C2%AE-826OXE-%2826%22%29-250cc-Two%252dStage-Snow-Blower

What do you all think? They are located in Indonesia, no 800 number and when I spoke to them via on-line chat the person said item will ship from USA in Minnesota.

Why consider them?  Well check out the prices almost $400 less on many Toro units but the s/h & taxes is $210.

Do I take a chance and save almost $200 on a 926 OXE that they sell for $899 plus $210 s/h = about $1109

What to do...new engine made in China and now a Far East company purporting to sell Toro well below others.

I got my 826 OXE (2012 model)  from Speedway Sales for $1299 , no tax & free shipping.    Wise Equipment is another good choice , if I remember right they have the 926 OXE for $1279 , no tax & free shipping.  I have bought mowers etc. in the past from both of these places with no problems at all.   Don't think  I'd be comfortable ordering from some Indonesian outfit...... could be a very expensive deal in the end.
duke88

Reply #59   Dec 9, 2011 8:33 pm
I just found this= "my visit to loncin motorcycle engine factory in china"  (put it in search). interesting they make some of the BMW motorcycle engines and others. Has some pictures of inside factory.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #60   Dec 10, 2011 2:07 am
I'm a big fan of Toro products, no secret there. But if I had to buy a Toro 2 stage with a Loncin engine. I'd buy a Honda instead!

Sure Loncin might be better than they used to be but I want my snowblower to start every time and maybe it will with a Loncin but what about 5-10 years down the road?

I know my B&S will work for many years, but Loncin? I just don't know, and for me, I want reliability in my snowblower because when I wake up at 6am

and there is 20" of snow in the driveway and my wife has to get to the hospital for her job, I need my snowblower to start up every time.

All the fancy gadgets mean nothing if it doesn't start right up and blow snow.

The engine is the heart of the snowblower.

FrankMA

Reply #61   Dec 10, 2011 8:45 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I'm a big fan of Toro products, no secret there.

I never noticed that....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #62   Dec 10, 2011 9:57 am
If the new Honda Hybrid Snowblower for $ 8000.00 dollars isn't in your price range, try looking at the Cub Cadet that Consumer Reports made its top rated snowblower, it sells for a list price of $ 1,600.00 dollars.  The machine has both a  16" diameter auger (the part that bites into the snow), and a 16" diameter fan (the part that throws the snow).  It is a 900 series Cub Cadet, and they are built by MTD the largest manufacturer of snowblowers.   Most two stage snowblowers have a 12" auger and fan, the larger 16" diameter should translate into more impressive snow removal. Good Luck with whatever you decide to buy.
redtaven

Reply #63   Dec 10, 2011 1:01 pm
To all still unsure about the Loncin engine but as Toro seems to be moving forward with their relationship with Loncin I feel I have no choice but to get the Loncin engine Toro 926 OXE.
The Toro 826 OXE with a 250cc B&S had 11.5 ft/lbs of torque while the Loncin 265 cc that is in the Toro 926 OXE has per Loncin spec website has only 11.1ft/lbs

Oh well can not get everything.
borat

Reply #64   Dec 10, 2011 1:22 pm
Don't let the torque numbers cause you concern.  That's more of a marketing hook than reality.  Chances are the Loncin will be as strong if not more so than the B&S.  Engine manufacturers like to use numbers to impress prospective buyers.  The bigger the number, the juicier the deal.  Engine power can vary considerably even on engines of the same size from the same assembly line never mind between brands.

For instance, a Honda engine of the same or even slightly less displacement as a B&S will deliver noticeably more torque and power despite what the spec sheet shows.  Small engine manufacturers often mislead consumers with false ratings.  A good example of that is the B&S 305cc snow engine that I have on my Simplicity.  On my machine it's rated a 9.5 h.p.  That very same engine is also rated at 9, 9.5, 10 and even 11 h.p. with absolutely no difference in parts.  Other than the decals, the engine parts list is exactly the same for every rating.  So, in my opinion, the engines should be either all 9 h.p. or 11 h.p.  In reality, the power is probably around 10 h.p.   It's all marketing b.s. to get people to pay more for the illusion of getting more power for their money. 

Personally, I doubt there will be that much of a difference in power between the two and if there is, my nod would go toward the Loncin.       
redtaven

Reply #65   Dec 13, 2011 2:14 pm
                        To all but specifically STEVE CEBU:

I have been checking out your videos on youtube on the Toro 1028. I am pretty much decided on a toro even with a Loncin engine. My question is if the adjustable scrapper bar difficult to set and does it work down to the blacktop/concrete. I have 80 foot by 15 foot driveway and assorted walkways and all new concrete, no rough surfaces but unsure about the durability of a moving scrapper bar.

My only use with scrapper is from a 1998 5HP solid as a rock Craftsman even now and that is non movable and still working. In fact nothing ever replaced on this craftsman blower other than the oil once or twice. Very forgiving unit, gas stays in with or without stablizer and still starts year after year. Crank does take a few sometimes but livable.

But really no one in my area even has a toro for me to view this movable scrapper bar setup and if durable and useful once set to get to the ground.

Thanks for any help...

Oh well just pulled up a manual and discovered not moving scraper bar but fixed well maybe off to the order department. Still like feedback on Ariens 24" deluxe (platinum too costly) or Toro 926 OXE
This message was modified Dec 13, 2011 by redtaven
Steve_Cebu

Reply #66   Dec 13, 2011 6:51 pm
I sent you a PM regarding this but to echo what I said in that.

The Toro 1028 does not come with the pivoting scrapper bar just the Toro 1128.

But as you can see from the pic I sent you in the PM and it's also posted here elsewhere it's inside the bucket and it could possibly jam.

That is why I didn't buy a 1128 when my local dealer had plenty of both.

So I wouldn't want one, but if you do get one I'm sure we'd all be interested in how well it performs and if in fact it jams and ices up.

This message was modified Dec 13, 2011 by Steve_Cebu

stresst

Reply #67   Dec 13, 2011 7:51 pm
FrankMA wrote:
I never noticed that....

Me either! LOL

TORO 826OXE
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #68   Dec 15, 2011 3:55 pm
redtaven wrote:  Still like feedback on Ariens 24" deluxe (platinum too costly)

Acccording to my Ariens 2011-2012 full-size catalog, the Deluxe 24 (NOT referring to the Platinum 24) has a pin lock wheel arrangement, which means that both wheels are permanently locked together.  No wheel release lever on the left handle, and no differential.  Also, no left and right trigger release levers, since Ariens doesn't do that system.  Toro does.  See this link:

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Snow-Blowers/Two-Stage/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=Power-Max-926-OXE-38661

Check the Features and Specifications tabs for more information.  This blower has the Loncin engine, I think, since it says "Toro OHV" engine on the site.

Here's a link from the Toro page about the engine itself.  Click on the little dots for more information about the inner parts of the engine.  Insightful.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Pages/toro-premium-engine/two-stage-toro-premium-engine-lp.aspx

A couple of Loncin addresses:

About Loncin:  http://www.loncinengine.com/About7/#Text       Definitely headquartered in China.

Loncin engine information from their website:  http://www.loncinengine.com/

Why is it always so hard to find the "perfect" snow blower that we want?  Hope this information helps. 
This message was modified Dec 15, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Steve_Cebu

Reply #69   Dec 15, 2011 7:39 pm
Interesting that they do not list the 926OXE as having freewheel steering.

Freewheel Steering

Turn on a dime! Wheels can be disengaged independently or simultaneously with trigger controls - making turning, reversing, and steering easy for anyone. Available on 826 OXE, 828 OXE, 1028 OXE, and 1128 OXE Power Max models.

MrNuke

Reply #70   Dec 15, 2011 8:53 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Freewheel Steering

Turn on a dime! Wheels can be disengaged independently or simultaneously with trigger controls - making turning, reversing, and steering easy for anyone. Available on 826 OXE, 828 OXE, 1028 OXE, and 1128 OXE Power Max models.

Toro is notoriously slow for updating their information especially the website.  It took them at least a year to acknowledge that the 826 had been given freewheel steering.  Look at the model numbers you have listed... All are pre-2012 variations. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #71   Dec 15, 2011 8:59 pm
That's kind of my point. The 926 is replacing the 826 but it isn't fully updated. Toro makes good stuff but honestly they could do a better job on their website.

royster

Reply #72   Dec 15, 2011 9:53 pm
In Canada,  the  2012.Craftsman blowers are built mostly by  MTD  or Briggs.     But most models have  Briggs engines, only a few models have Chinese engines.     I saw some Husqvarna built models but the Sears man said they were leftovers from 2011.

Craftsman  in the USA  have different sniowblower models from ours.

aa335

Reply #73   Dec 16, 2011 10:58 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:

Freewheel Steering

The "X" in the model name indicates that it does have the trigger steering. 
aa335

Reply #74   Dec 16, 2011 10:59 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
That's kind of my point. The 926 is replacing the 826 but it isn't fully updated. Toro makes good stuff but honestly they could do a better job on their website.

:)  You're right, the 926OXE info was available on snowblowersdirect.com a long time before it was on Toro's website.
redtaven

Reply #75   Dec 17, 2011 12:16 pm
Well I ordered the Toro 926 OXE from Home Depot Online...given a great deal...total cost with delivery is a bit under $1200. Really feel uneasy about purchasing such a "high end" unit with an unproven new engine from a relatively unknown Chinese engine manufacturer. Yes I know Briggs and Loncin are all made in China but still uneasy. Still have time to cancel...

I could get the Ariens 24 Deluxe for less than $900 total almost a $300 savings. The major difference between the two would be the lack of hand steering controls on the Ariens. But Ariens is all metal from the ground up, chute, deflector and all. The paint jobs on the Ariens looks rock solid.

So as you see really on the fence. I hope Toro is not out to make a quick buck on their reputation.

Again any thoughts on the Ariens deluxe or Toro on clearing a 50 foot section of my driveway with no place to put the snow but toward the front which is over 50 feet away. The drifts on a 8-12 inch snowfall can get to be 3 to 4 feet high in parts of my rear driveway. I have to use a wheel barrow to clear it out in years past.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #76   Dec 18, 2011 6:39 am
Well you won't blow heavy snow 50+ feet with either. If the wind is blowing in a bad direction or against you that will also cut down how far you can throw.

My Toro 1028 OXE will throw light powder 60 feet but not heavier snow.

redtaven

Reply #77   Dec 23, 2011 6:41 pm
Well Home Depot came through and got the Toro 926 OXE delivered in under 7 days...unfortunately it rained all last night and when the ESTES trucking company came to make the 2nd to last delivery to me. I found the carton ripped in half along the top front middle and worse water dripping out from the bottom, that the carton coming apart at one corner seam and the entire top left side and bottom saturated with water. I asked to open the box and inspect but told I had to sign for it first...I refused.

I tried to get HD to help and all they can do is refund my order and told me that the Ariens 24 deluxe is discontinued and reason why they are not carrying it any longer. They believe a new unit will be replacing it next season...for those that care.

What to do now go back to the toro or just wait a season till word comes out on this new 265cc Loncin engine?
stresst

Reply #78   Dec 23, 2011 8:50 pm
redtaven wrote:
Well Home Depot came through and got the Toro 926 OXE delivered in under 7 days...unfortunately it rained all last night and when the ESTES trucking company came to make the 2nd to last delivery to me. I found the carton ripped in half along the top front middle and worse water dripping out from the bottom, that the carton coming apart at one corner seam and the entire top left side and bottom saturated with water. I asked to open the box and inspect but told I had to sign for it first...I refused.

I tried to get HD to help and all they can do is refund my order and told me that the Ariens 24 deluxe is discontinued and reason why they are not carrying it any longer. They believe a new unit will be replacing it next season...for those that care.

What to do now go back to the toro or just wait a season till word comes out on this new 265cc Loncin engine?

Wow, that sucks! Sorry to hear that, Could be worse you could have gotten 2 feet of snow instead of the rain and probably would have mad an implusive decision signing for it. Why not call snowblowersdirect?

TORO 826OXE
Steve_Cebu

Reply #79   Dec 24, 2011 5:16 am
You won't find out much next year about Loncin it takes a long time to get a track record and that's not going to help you.

Also once a place is out of a product there is nothing they can do. You were right to refuse the package if it was in that bad a condition.

If you really need a snowblower and can't buy from a local dealer then buy the Toro. You should have a local dealer that sells what you want.

FrankMA

Reply #80   Dec 24, 2011 7:55 am
You could also pick up a used one off CL to hold you over til next year. CL is loaded with used snowblowers as nothing is moving because of the lack of snow. You could most likely resell it next year and breakeven - especially if you wait until the first snowfall.

redtaven

Reply #81   Dec 24, 2011 1:36 pm
FrankMA wrote:
You could also pick up a used one off CL to hold you over til next year. CL is loaded with used snowblowers as nothing is moving because of the lack of snow. You could most likely resell it next year and breakeven - especially if you wait until the first snowfall.
Sorry but not up on who or what CL is?

I am in the doghouse with wife and kids as I spent so much time on the snow blower and waited most of yesterday for delivery and had to cancel movies with family for yesterday...snow blower is a taboo word right now.

But thank you all for your ideas and information...Happy Holidays.
This message was modified Dec 24, 2011 by redtaven
Shryp

Reply #82   Dec 24, 2011 1:46 pm
redtaven wrote:

I am in the doghouse with wife and kids as I spent so much time on the snow blower and waited most of yesterday for delivery and had to cancel movies with family for yesterday...snow blower is a taboo word right now.

CL = craigslist.org
RedOctobyr

Reply #83   Dec 24, 2011 1:48 pm
CL = Craigslist

Don't get me wrong, I'd be nervous about what was waiting for you inside the box as well. And being unable to open it to inspect it first would be unnerving, who knows what condition it might be in. But there is something slightly ironic about concerns over the machine being wet, when it's meant to move snow, potentially during a blizzard

I feel for you for being in snowblower trouble. I have now probably spent more time working on my "new" ones from Craigslist than I will spend using them this winter. Or perhaps even more time than it would have taken to simply shovel :) Oh well, I kind of of enjoy working on them. And we're bound to get some snow eventually, so I can actually use them.
duke88

Reply #84   Dec 24, 2011 4:13 pm
redtaven wrote:

You might try Wise Equipment or Speedway Sales , I'm sure they have what you want.  Fast free shipping and no tax .
FrankMA

Reply #85   Dec 24, 2011 4:46 pm
redtaven wrote:

Sorry redtaven - I should not have assumed that you knew CL = Craigs List. I don't how comfortable you are buying used but there are a lot of snow blowers on there right now and many have been rotating around week after week. These sellers typically become more motivated (especially just before Christmas) to deal the longer their machines linger on CL. I've seen many decent sounding Ariens and Toro's (as well as many others) in the $300 - $400 range which would hold you over til next year if that's what you want to do. Again, you could most likely resell it next season and breakeven. Just a suggestion...

redtaven

Reply #86   Dec 25, 2011 4:43 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:
CL = Craigslist

Don't get me wrong, I'd be nervous about what was waiting for you inside the box as well. And being unable to open it to inspect it first would be unnerving, who knows what condition it might be in. But there is something slightly ironic about concerns over the machine being wet, when it's meant to move snow, potentially during a blizzard

I feel for you for being in snowblower trouble. I have now probably spent more time working on my "new" ones from Craigslist than I will spend using them this winter. Or perhaps even more time than it would have taken to simply shovel :) Oh well, I kind of of enjoy working on them. And we're bound to get some snow eventually, so I can actually use them.

Yes I agree I felt kind of wrong telling both the trucking supervisor and Home Depot that the box is wet. But I did make the point that it is one thing for me as the buyer to get it wet but another for it to be delivered as a "new" item already wet, be it the box or the machine was wet. I should have taken the chance and signed for it. But that is past, time to move on to sneaking in the snow blower I re-ordered later that day without the wife and kids knowing about it...lol
Greg13

Reply #87   Dec 25, 2011 5:13 pm
The box being wet would not bother me as much as being ripped open. They may have speared it with a forklift. The fact that the driver would not wait for you to open & inspect for damage should also be reported.
redtaven

Reply #88   Jan 2, 2012 2:36 pm
                                    Happy New Year to All:

I made the decision to cancel my Toro 926 OXE as home depot sent e-mail about a 7 day delay and so again I see the Winter for NY as over and will wait till next season.

I would like feedback as to the whole Briggs&Stratton issue of supplying snow blower engines to manufacturers but also being in the snow blower manufacturing business with their own brand Simplicity and owning Snapper. Toro may have made the made the right decision in leaving B&S. The web has stories of B&S engines which need warranty work but getting delays while B&S tend to their brands first.

I want to get an Ariens next season but feel as though they are in a no win situation, if Ariens switches engine manufacturer they risk losing business as I am sure Toro is. If Ariens does not then they are dealing with a manufacturer that may be giving preferential treatment in engine build quailty to thir units first as well as better overall warranty service.

I tried to write a review on the Toro 926 OXE mentioning some of these issues on HD website but was rejected either because I never took possession of the unit or  because I mentioned the riff between B&S and its engine clients. I feel sorry for American manufacturing with the unrelenting pressure to be competitive with Chinese made products. It seems Toro, Ariens and others have little to no choice but to either stay with B&S or seek another engine manufacturer which means Chinese.

I feel B&S is in the best position to reap from this arrangement as they still have that name recognition even if their engines too are made in China. I also can not fault B&S as they are just trying to survive as some of their clients turn from them to less expensive Chinese made engines. B&S has no choice but to make up that lost client income by taking on manufacturing their own units.

Any thoughts on what brand snow blower to consider given these issues and your thoughts on it as well.
borat

Reply #89   Jan 2, 2012 4:40 pm
Shop around for a used Ariens, Toro, Simplcity/Snapper that's around ten years old and in good condition.  Your worries will be over.  With the money you save, you can always re-power with a top notch Honda, Robin, Kohler or Kawasaki engine from an outfit like Small Engine Warehouse.   Those older machines were very well built and if you can find one that's been lightly used, it will last you a lifetime with proper maintenance.

The only other option I can think of is Honda or Yamaha snow throwers.  No concerns there about cheap components.  However, it will cost you your first born......
carlb

Reply #90   Jan 2, 2012 5:46 pm
I have to agree with Borat, if you can get a lightly used or well taken care of quality machine that is 15 years old or older that might be your best bet.

I had a 26 year old 24" Snapper that I used last year that I re-powered with a harbor freight 6.5hp OHV engine and it went through 18+" of snow like grass through a goose.

This year i will be using a 1983 26" Cub Cadet that I re-powered with an 11hp Honda Clone. I suspect that this Cub will out live me.

You really can't beat the old American Made snow blowers.  My Cub has a true differential and even though it weighs 328lbs turns easily
stresst

Reply #91   Jan 2, 2012 6:46 pm
I am on CL everyday and yes there are a ton of blowers currently for sale! Don't be focused on your exact location, spread out 50-75 miles and you will be shocked the deals that can be had but be ready to move fast good deals dont last long! Good Luck!

TORO 826OXE
FrankMA

Reply #92   Jan 2, 2012 7:00 pm
stresst wrote:
I am on CL everyday and yes there are a ton of blowers currently for sale! Don't be focused on your exact location, spread out 50-75 miles and you will be shocked the deals that can be had but be ready to move fast good deals dont last long! Good Luck!

Got to have CA$H in hand and be ready to go at a moments notice to score the really good deals (for the most part). CL is jammed with snowblowers these days that keep rotating around week after week because of the lack of snow - good time to haggle and score a deal. Everything will change just before or after the first big predicted or actual snowstorm...

Replies: 1 - 92 of 92View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42