Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Any new snowblowers out for 2012

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Any new snowblowers out for 2012
Original Message   Sep 19, 2011 7:44 pm
Does anyone know of any new snowblowers out for 2012? Looking to trade in my Toro 826OXE for something with a larger motor. I am leaning toward a larger Toro but  I am open. Any suggestions?
This message was modified Sep 20, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 83 - 92 of 92Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RedOctobyr

Re: Any new snowblowers out for 2012
Reply #83   Dec 24, 2011 1:48 pm
CL = Craigslist

Don't get me wrong, I'd be nervous about what was waiting for you inside the box as well. And being unable to open it to inspect it first would be unnerving, who knows what condition it might be in. But there is something slightly ironic about concerns over the machine being wet, when it's meant to move snow, potentially during a blizzard

I feel for you for being in snowblower trouble. I have now probably spent more time working on my "new" ones from Craigslist than I will spend using them this winter. Or perhaps even more time than it would have taken to simply shovel :) Oh well, I kind of of enjoy working on them. And we're bound to get some snow eventually, so I can actually use them.
duke88

Reply #84   Dec 24, 2011 4:13 pm
redtaven wrote:
Sorry but not up on who or what CL is?

I am in the doghouse with wife and kids as I spent so much time on the snow blower and waited most of yesterday for delivery and had to cancel movies with family for yesterday...snow blower is a taboo word right now.

But thank you all for your ideas and information...Happy Holidays.

You might try Wise Equipment or Speedway Sales , I'm sure they have what you want.  Fast free shipping and no tax .
FrankMA

Reply #85   Dec 24, 2011 4:46 pm
redtaven wrote:
Sorry but not up on who or what CL is?

I am in the doghouse with wife and kids as I spent so much time on the snow blower and waited most of yesterday for delivery and had to cancel movies with family for yesterday...snow blower is a taboo word right now.

But thank you all for your ideas and information...Happy Holidays.

Sorry redtaven - I should not have assumed that you knew CL = Craigs List. I don't how comfortable you are buying used but there are a lot of snow blowers on there right now and many have been rotating around week after week. These sellers typically become more motivated (especially just before Christmas) to deal the longer their machines linger on CL. I've seen many decent sounding Ariens and Toro's (as well as many others) in the $300 - $400 range which would hold you over til next year if that's what you want to do. Again, you could most likely resell it next season and breakeven. Just a suggestion...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
redtaven

Reply #86   Dec 25, 2011 4:43 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:
CL = Craigslist

Don't get me wrong, I'd be nervous about what was waiting for you inside the box as well. And being unable to open it to inspect it first would be unnerving, who knows what condition it might be in. But there is something slightly ironic about concerns over the machine being wet, when it's meant to move snow, potentially during a blizzard

I feel for you for being in snowblower trouble. I have now probably spent more time working on my "new" ones from Craigslist than I will spend using them this winter. Or perhaps even more time than it would have taken to simply shovel :) Oh well, I kind of of enjoy working on them. And we're bound to get some snow eventually, so I can actually use them.

Yes I agree I felt kind of wrong telling both the trucking supervisor and Home Depot that the box is wet. But I did make the point that it is one thing for me as the buyer to get it wet but another for it to be delivered as a "new" item already wet, be it the box or the machine was wet. I should have taken the chance and signed for it. But that is past, time to move on to sneaking in the snow blower I re-ordered later that day without the wife and kids knowing about it...lol
Greg13

Reply #87   Dec 25, 2011 5:13 pm
The box being wet would not bother me as much as being ripped open. They may have speared it with a forklift. The fact that the driver would not wait for you to open & inspect for damage should also be reported.
redtaven

Reply #88   Jan 2, 2012 2:36 pm
                                    Happy New Year to All:

I made the decision to cancel my Toro 926 OXE as home depot sent e-mail about a 7 day delay and so again I see the Winter for NY as over and will wait till next season.

I would like feedback as to the whole Briggs&Stratton issue of supplying snow blower engines to manufacturers but also being in the snow blower manufacturing business with their own brand Simplicity and owning Snapper. Toro may have made the made the right decision in leaving B&S. The web has stories of B&S engines which need warranty work but getting delays while B&S tend to their brands first.

I want to get an Ariens next season but feel as though they are in a no win situation, if Ariens switches engine manufacturer they risk losing business as I am sure Toro is. If Ariens does not then they are dealing with a manufacturer that may be giving preferential treatment in engine build quailty to thir units first as well as better overall warranty service.

I tried to write a review on the Toro 926 OXE mentioning some of these issues on HD website but was rejected either because I never took possession of the unit or  because I mentioned the riff between B&S and its engine clients. I feel sorry for American manufacturing with the unrelenting pressure to be competitive with Chinese made products. It seems Toro, Ariens and others have little to no choice but to either stay with B&S or seek another engine manufacturer which means Chinese.

I feel B&S is in the best position to reap from this arrangement as they still have that name recognition even if their engines too are made in China. I also can not fault B&S as they are just trying to survive as some of their clients turn from them to less expensive Chinese made engines. B&S has no choice but to make up that lost client income by taking on manufacturing their own units.

Any thoughts on what brand snow blower to consider given these issues and your thoughts on it as well.
borat

Reply #89   Jan 2, 2012 4:40 pm
Shop around for a used Ariens, Toro, Simplcity/Snapper that's around ten years old and in good condition.  Your worries will be over.  With the money you save, you can always re-power with a top notch Honda, Robin, Kohler or Kawasaki engine from an outfit like Small Engine Warehouse.   Those older machines were very well built and if you can find one that's been lightly used, it will last you a lifetime with proper maintenance.

The only other option I can think of is Honda or Yamaha snow throwers.  No concerns there about cheap components.  However, it will cost you your first born......
carlb

Reply #90   Jan 2, 2012 5:46 pm
I have to agree with Borat, if you can get a lightly used or well taken care of quality machine that is 15 years old or older that might be your best bet.

I had a 26 year old 24" Snapper that I used last year that I re-powered with a harbor freight 6.5hp OHV engine and it went through 18+" of snow like grass through a goose.

This year i will be using a 1983 26" Cub Cadet that I re-powered with an 11hp Honda Clone. I suspect that this Cub will out live me.

You really can't beat the old American Made snow blowers.  My Cub has a true differential and even though it weighs 328lbs turns easily
stresst

Reply #91   Jan 2, 2012 6:46 pm
I am on CL everyday and yes there are a ton of blowers currently for sale! Don't be focused on your exact location, spread out 50-75 miles and you will be shocked the deals that can be had but be ready to move fast good deals dont last long! Good Luck!

TORO 826OXE
FrankMA

Reply #92   Jan 2, 2012 7:00 pm
stresst wrote:
I am on CL everyday and yes there are a ton of blowers currently for sale! Don't be focused on your exact location, spread out 50-75 miles and you will be shocked the deals that can be had but be ready to move fast good deals dont last long! Good Luck!

Got to have CA$H in hand and be ready to go at a moments notice to score the really good deals (for the most part). CL is jammed with snowblowers these days that keep rotating around week after week because of the lack of snow - good time to haggle and score a deal. Everything will change just before or after the first big predicted or actual snowstorm...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 83 - 92 of 92Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42