Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > LCT Engine Reliability

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

LCT Engine Reliability
Original Message   Jun 18, 2011 6:02 pm
I see more LCT powered snow blowers than ever before. I read that Ariens has a venture with them. I also here that Techumseh  Snow King will be retooled and manufactured through them.  Ariens is trying to move away from Briggs and Stratton  for they are their comp.  The use or Subaru with there units in the past was outstanding.  They no longer use them. I get mixed reviews with LCT.  I want a new Ariens compact 22 with a Subaru engine. They are longer offered. My other choice is a  Ariens Compact  22 with a LCT 208 or a Ariens compact 24 with a  Briggs and Stratton 205. I want the 22 but I do not trust the LCT. What do you think. There is a $100. difference in price for the Briggs. Do you trust LCT? 
This message was modified Oct 22, 2011 by bus708
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
JimmyM

Re: LCT Engine Reliability
Reply #1   Jun 20, 2011 8:25 am
*read
*hear
*as they are
*their
*no longer offered
Paul7

Reply #2   Jun 21, 2011 3:38 pm
JimmyM wrote:
*read
*hear
*as they are
*their
*no longer offered

JimmyM - Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Now me personally...I never make misstrakes.

To the OP - I want to hope that the LCT engines prove to be reliable but we won't know until a few more years pass.  Reliability, at least in part, is measured in terms of longevity.
borat

Reply #3   Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm
Chinese engines built in the last five years or so have improved immensely.   I own a couple and I'm quite pleased with them.  The oldest is six years old and running just fine.
JimmyM

Reply #4   Oct 18, 2011 2:44 pm
Paul7 wrote:
JimmyM - Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Now me personally...I never make misstrakes.

To the OP - I want to hope that the LCT engines prove to be reliable but we won't know until a few more years pass.  Reliability, at least in part, is measured in terms of longevity.

At first I was thinking "Wow his spelling is... Oh wait, I've heard of that study"
I know. I was just in a $#%*y mood that day. Apologies.
edge10

Reply #5   Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am
I see this post is a few months old, but I am the same boat as bus708. I am looking for input on the LCT also, since  I am considering an Ariens compact 24 and Sno-tek which comes with a B&S 205 cc  and  a LCT 208 cc respectively.  I also would have preferred the Ariens Comp 22 with the Subaru.  I have a pressure washer with a Subaru EX21 7 HP and it is a great running, high quality engine. 

I have read good and bad about both LCT and B&S engines.  The LCT has a cast iron cylinder liner ,crank ball bearings, runs smooth and has good power,  but has had some carburetor problems.  The carb looks to be redesigned on the newest version, but I don't know if it fixes the problems.  The Briggs has more proven history, but I have heard some may be failing after 30-50 hrs and look to be lower quality now that they are made in China.   Any other input on LCT and/or Brigg engines from those with experience would be appreciated.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #6   Oct 26, 2011 5:31 am
edge10 wrote:
Any other input on LCT and/or Brigg engines from those with experience would be appreciated.

Well, I don't have the experience, but here's a thread with Snowmann's comments on Briggs engines used by Ariens, as opposed to other brands using Briggs.  See the below links.

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/49117-0-1.html
          This one is the original with Snowmann's comments.

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/56720-A-1.html
         This one has a synopsis of Snowmann's comments.

I hope this helps out.
This message was modified Dec 13, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42