Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > We Gonna Get Slammed

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

We Gonna Get Slammed
Original Message   Apr 15, 2011 9:09 pm
Weather forecast says we're supposed to get 20cm (8") or more of snow overnight and into tomorrow.   When they say 20cm, we usually get 30 in our area.  I had pretty much put away my snow removal equipment.  I had the new MTD single stage in the basement so I did a governor over-ride modification to it  today and will be putting it to work tomorrow.  Looking forward to it actually.  
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
MN_Runner

Re: We Gonna Get Slammed
Reply #1   Apr 15, 2011 10:44 pm
We are expecting 1-3" of wet snow tonight.  It would be a perfect job a SS but I will have to fire up the red rice-rocket if we do get 3"+ of wet stuff.  My garage is not full and has a lot of room for a several more OPEs.
borat

Re: We Gonna Get Slammed
Reply #2   Apr 16, 2011 12:56 pm
So far we got approx. 5" of wet snow. 

I used the modified MTD  and cleared the whole driveway with it.  It's not bad under certain circumstances but not as effective as the old Craftsman is when cranked up. 

The MTD works pretty good at stock rpms and will throw snow fairly well.  If the conditions are right it can also throw the snow a good distance when revved up.  Problem is that it's too light.   At speed on wet, slushy stuff, it pulls itself up on top of the snow and leaves a fair amount on the driveway.  It also likes to throw the snow ahead of itself when spinning fast. 

The Craftsman on the other hand is very lame at stock speed but more effective when running at high rpms.  That's probably due to the additional weight.   The MTD is great for the deck though.  That's likely where it will be spending it's time during the winter.  

Gotta love those Tecumseh two strokes!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42