Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > This is my Husqvarna built Craftsman, All ready for 2011-12 winter.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

This is my Husqvarna built Craftsman, All ready for 2011-12 winter.
Original Message   Mar 31, 2011 8:11 pm
I

This message was modified Nov 18, 2011 by royster

Replies: 17 - 26 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Steve_Cebu

Re: my snowblower picture
Reply #17   Apr 1, 2011 4:35 pm
aa335 wrote:
You have to rev the engine past 4000 RPM, that's when the VTEC kicks in.  There's a half a second of power surge.  Feels like a mini-turbo.  :)

Yes, but if you do that you won't get 36mpg and while I lead foot it more than my wife I still get 32mpg combined. My Civic Si had a lot of power once the VTEC kicked in.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #18   Apr 1, 2011 4:37 pm
royster wrote:
5:20 PM Friday, April 1. 2011
It is still snowing, about 15 cm (6 inches)   so far. It is not supposed to  stop snowing until 6 AM tomorrow.  It is a very wet snow , almost rain at times.  I am not going out until it stops .        probably 30 cm before it is over.

You are getting almost twice what we are getting, but it's really wet and did clog up my Toro something fierce. It's like 80% water out there. My driveway is completely clear now.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #19   Apr 1, 2011 5:21 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Yes, but if you do that you won't get 36mpg and while I lead foot it more than my wife I still get 32mpg combined. My Civic Si had a lot of power once the VTEC kicked in.

That doesn't stop those Prius hybrids from trying to drag race me.  They're still getting 35+ mpg.  :) 

Surprising how aggressive tree huggers drive, with skinny tires and vague electric steering.  I love how those Prius hit a brick wall at 100 mph, can't accelerate any more.

I used to have a Honda Accord with VTEC.  I'm too old now to wait for VTEC to kick in. 
aa335

Reply #20   Apr 1, 2011 5:26 pm
royster wrote:
5:20 PM Friday, April 1. 2011
It is still snowing, about 15 cm (6 inches)   so far. It is not supposed to  stop snowing until 6 AM tomorrow.  It is a very wet snow , almost rain at times.  I am not going out until it stops .        probably 30 cm before it is over.

You got a new single stage and you're not going out yet?  Hmm...something is wrong with this picture. 
royster

Reply #21   Apr 1, 2011 7:38 pm
aa335 wrote:
You got a new single stage and you're not going out yet?  Hmm...something is wrong with this picture. 
Not as forcasted , it  stopped snowing, with about 20 cm (8 inches) of wet snow  I normally wait for the plow to go by before I clear the driveway, but I was anxious to try the new single stage, It seemed so small  and quiet  so I wondered , but all went quite well,  it only threw the snow about 6 feet but the snow was very wet .  Then the plow went by filling up the end of the driveway with packed wet snow , by allowing the auger to clean itself out several times  I was able to get through.   My opinion on the single stage is that they are quite a useful machine if the snow is not too deep and you are not in a hurry  to get it done. My driveway is 12 x 90 feet.
This message was modified Apr 2, 2011 by royster

MN_Runner

Reply #22   Apr 1, 2011 9:48 pm
I have been eyeing a SS as well.  I really want to buy a new HS621 but it is not available in US.  So next best SS would be a new Toro 421QR.  I have made a few bids on eBay but was not able to get a 421Q for $500.  Hopefully you are happy with your new Craftsman SS.  I firmly believe Toro 421Q and 221Q are the best SS on the market.  I am glad I did not buy Honda HS520 last year.
aa335

Reply #23   Apr 2, 2011 10:19 am
MN_Runner wrote:
I have been eyeing a SS as well.  I really want to buy a new HS621 but it is not available in US.  So next best SS would be a new Toro 421QR.  I have made a few bids on eBay but was not able to get a 421Q for $500.  Hopefully you are happy with your new Craftsman SS.  I firmly believe Toro 421Q and 221Q are the best SS on the market.  I am glad I did not buy Honda HS520 last year.

The HS520 is long in the tooth.  Hopefully, someone is working on it's replacement to stay competitive.  The latest crop of B&S powered single stage snowblowers with remote chute rotation comes at a lower price and better performance.

The HS621 platform with GX200 engine, redesigned auger, remote chute rotation and deflector, around 85 lbs would be a good product.  They just have to position it as a premium single stage, instead of competing with the bottom feeders.
FrankMA

Reply #24   Apr 2, 2011 3:44 pm
aa335 wrote:
The HS520 is long in the tooth.  Hopefully, someone is working on it's replacement to stay competitive.  The latest crop of B&S powered single stage snowblowers with remote chute rotation comes at a lower price and better performance.

The HS621 platform with GX200 engine, redesigned auger, remote chute rotation and deflector, around 85 lbs would be a good product.  They just have to position it as a premium single stage, instead of competing with the bottom feeders.

You got to wonder who is in charge of product development at Honda. I picked up a used HS520A last fall and got to use it this past winter. It's OK but that's about it. It will get the job done but it really could use a serious make over and some upgrades to compete in todays market. The same holds true for the 2 stage line up that is available in the USA. The potential sales dollars alone should be enough to convince them to offer the Canadian versions down here in the land of milk and honey. Even if only 5% of the US snowblower marketplace were to buy a Honda, that would still have to be some serious $$$. I love my HS928TA but I would love to have the upgrades that are available to our Canadian brothers offered to the US market as well.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #25   Apr 2, 2011 8:31 pm
One can only hope with the appearance of Yamaha back in the high end snowblower arena, the Honda sleeping giant will wake up and refesh their product line.  Or at least offer some cool products they have available in Japan.  Some of the larger Honda hybrid are pretty awesome.  Instead of hydro drive, they have individual electric motors for each track.  I've seem a 36" tracked blower turn with just a light touch on the handles.  I hope they bring those technologies down to the smaller models.  Even if they put on the 928, I'd be happy with that.  That model is the meat and potatoes for most home owners.  A modernized HS621 would be cool too.
royster

Re: My snow blower picture
Reply #26   Apr 20, 2011 11:32 am
 Now  snow is all gone here , except in the woods.

Replies: 17 - 26 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42