Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snapper LT100 starting issues

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
midfiman

Snapper LT100 starting issues
Original Message   Mar 18, 2011 10:12 am
Hey guys,

So my wife and I had a baby recently... ...in that, I didn't get a chance to winterize my Snapper lawn tractor so now it won't start since I left gas in it and i'm guess the carb/lines are jammed up.  It's only 2 years old so it's a fairly new machine.  My questions are as follows:  Should I take to a local guy here says he will remove the carb, clean it, clean the lines, check and replace any belts, tune the machine up, and sharpen blades for about $150, or should I do some of this myself?  Would it be easy to get this machine up and running somehow?  I'm sure more details are needed but just trying to see if I should sent it out or do something myself?

Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
midfiman

Re: Snapper LT100 starting issues
Reply #2   Mar 18, 2011 10:37 am
Thanks for your reply.  Alot of what you said I'm not familiar with (fully mechanically inclined, like changing car brakes all the time, etc, but never did any work on any outdoor power equipment).  Not sure about how everything is connected, etc.  The guy who does it for $150 is not a dealer but rather a guy who has a small business out of his home that will do all of the listed for $150.  It might still not be worth it.  It sounds like it's in my best interest to fiddle around and try and play with the carb a bit to see if I can get it up and running.  I'll have to take a closer look tonight!
midfiman

Reply #3   Mar 18, 2011 10:39 am
BTW how do you know if the choke is engaging?  I put it on choke and the motor cranks but doesn't start.  Not sure about whether the choke is engaging.  Thanks!
borat

Reply #4   Mar 18, 2011 12:53 pm
midfiman wrote:
BTW how do you know if the choke is engaging?  I put it on choke and the motor cranks but doesn't start.  Not sure about whether the choke is engaging.  Thanks!

I'm not certain of your engine configuration nor whether you can see the choke butterfly valve close or not.  However, if you pull the choke and watch the linkage to the carb, you can see if it's moving.  If it's connected to the butterfly at the carb and it's moving, it's working.  Sometimes the choke linkage can be disconnected from the carb.  

Another thing to check is the lines to the fuel pump.  Again, not sure of your set up but my machines have a vacuum operated fuel pump.  Follow the fuel line from the tank until you see (in my case) a circular plastic component with a fuel line going in one coming out and possibly a vacuum line to operate it.   Look for the line that goes from the fuel pump to the carb.  Pull it off the carb, put it in a container and turn the engine over.  Look for fuel to be pumped out.  If fuel comes out, the pump is good.  If not, there could be a problem with the pump or a fuel like blockage from the tank to the pump. 
niper99

Reply #5   Mar 18, 2011 1:13 pm
well first l would completely drian the old gas out of the tank and put in fresh, and remove the carb bowl or at least loosen the screw and let the old gas drian out, the spark plugs are probally fouled with the old gas, take them out and clean them off with compressed air or rag just make sure there DRY. or u could put new ones in either or. as far as the tune up portion l highly recommend u getting that done every season or at least every other, espically make sure everything gets greased, and change the oil in the engine at least once a year. riding tractors should be serviced yealy (greased/oil change).
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42