Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Cheap Tachometer Hour Meter 2-4 Stroke Small Engine Spark Purchase from eBay

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MN_Runner

Cheap Tachometer Hour Meter 2-4 Stroke Small Engine Spark Purchase from eBay
Original Message   Feb 26, 2011 8:56 am
I bought a tachometer from eBay for $23 including shipping and what a total junk it was (http://cgi.ebay.com/Tachometer-Hour-meter-2-4-Stroke-Small-Engine-Spark-/120689310104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c19a4b998  I got mine from a different seller and was able to get a full refund but what a junk - you can buy a nice bottle of wine for $20 so don't waste your money on this model.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
relics

Re: Cheap Tachometer Hour Meter 2-4 Stroke Small Engine Spark Purchase from eBay
Reply #12   Feb 27, 2011 8:41 pm
I guess the ground wire must make the differance with one of these tachs.You should be set on 2 at all times 3 should not be used at all to see accurate rpm readings.Did you guys look at the lead comeing out of the tach and make sure no white wire is included

under its plastic covering? Who knows there could be one there.With todays light snow i only ran my machine between 3000 and 3200 rpm..I did push some snow to the sides of the driveway to set up a load for the blower.Than i would go to 3600 but even than i would only drop to 3450 or 3500.I find my engine hunts very little.And than its really only when going into a good sized load.I

must feel the govenor doing its thing for a second or so                                                                                                    a second or so

This message was modified Feb 27, 2011 by relics
MN_Runner

Re: Cheap Tachometer Hour Meter 2-4 Stroke Small Engine Spark Purchase from eBay
Reply #13   Feb 27, 2011 8:51 pm
It is a multi-stranded copper wire without any other electrical wire (i.e., no separate ground wire).  I was able to open the back of the box and thought about adding a ground wire but I do not have schematics for the printed circuit board.  I could find it using fluke meter but it is not that important. 

P1010037P1010039P1010040

This message was modified Feb 27, 2011 by MN_Runner
relics

Reply #14   Feb 27, 2011 9:52 pm
I have had the back off mine to.I will look tomarrow and see just were the ground wire goes.I will get a picture to

and see if it looks the same as yours ! Although i would think it could go to the ground side of the battery and work?

This message was modified Feb 27, 2011 by relics
trouts2

Reply #15   Feb 28, 2011 10:02 am
Relics,

I'd be interested to know if yours looks the same inside as one MN_Runner posted. 

The tach was put on the car which has an RPM gage.  The gage was set on 3 and tracked with the car readings over the range of 700 to 3000 rpm.  At first readings around 2000 were ok but lower and higher off by quite a bit.  After about 4 minutes of warmup the readings tracked the car gage. 

The wire sense lead was wrapped 4 times around the plug wire and taped inplace.  It was also run straight which I think helps.

The post time is about a half a second after a speed change but seems to take 1-3 seconds for it settle and get a correct reading.  The posted incorrect speeds are always in the right direction and between the reading moved from and the current rpm.  The gage is probably taking several readings and averaging so needs a second or so to get a tight group for the right average after the speed change is complete.

It did much better than when connected to the snowblower.   Part of the problelm on the blower might have been not having a straight run of wire and the wire field interfearing with itself.  Also, speed changes on a blower engine are not that smooth compared to a car.   

relics

Reply #16   Mar 2, 2011 8:57 pm
Well here is the inside of my tach which showns the location of the white wire.Which is used as the ground wire on the 2 wire tach.

This message was modified Mar 2, 2011 by relics
relics

Reply #17   Mar 3, 2011 1:11 am
For some reason? the picture would not post.
relics

Reply #18   Mar 5, 2011 9:56 am
Here is the picture !

This message was modified Mar 5, 2011 by relics
MN_Runner

Reply #19   Mar 5, 2011 10:41 am
relics,

Thanks for the picture - I can clearly see the two wires on your circuit board.  I just tried it on my Honda lawnmower and the rpm reading is reasonable.  I was getting 2950-3000 rpm, which is consistent with the manual.  However, the correct RPM reading came at the "2" setting (1 spark every revolution) instead of the expected "3" setting (1 spark every two revolutions).  So my cheap tachometer needs to be at "2" setting to read correct RPM.

relics

Reply #20   Mar 5, 2011 11:16 am
2 is the correct setting.Its the same on my old tecumseh 8HP.These engines do fire everytime.As stated already its a waste spark system.So the plug fires every revolution.An for sure your tach is giveing the right rpm.I think the ground wire just makes the tach most likely work slightly better.Maybe a slightly faster refresh rate who knows? But for sure these tachs are accurate.I have used mine for over 8 hrs and its just fine.I find its a real plus to know my rpm.Also running at max rpm i can be sure i am within a safe range and not going above (3600rpm)
trouts2

Reply #21   Mar 6, 2011 12:10 pm
Just for reference;

It looks like all NM_Runner and Rlics boards are similar to mine, all HM011's but all different revisions.  Mine's from 5/10/2010.  Relics is stamped 2010, has different parts and seems newer.   Mine has GND at the open pad by the wire input lead so I added a ground there and drilled an outlet hole for the ground wire. 

It's now operating well on 2 and much more stable.   ( I have three of these).  They were not so stable before and would take a lot of time settling.  Often they read better in 3 than 2.  I had tried a few different wire leads, shielded and non shielded.  The length and type of wire would cause readings changes.  They had to be frigged and fragged with to get good readings.  Often they would read well in a small range rather then read well over the whole range of 700 to 3600 rpm.  They are noisy.  If I put an unconnected meter close to a connected meter the unconnected meter will display rpm readings. 

The upshot is there are a number of rev's of this board out there with various features.  The single wire will work but has to be messed with to get reliable and consistant readings.   The grounded version of the HM011 is the one to get. 

Replies: 12 - 21 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42