Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 926PRO Electric Start Help

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dcassell

Ariens 926PRO Electric Start Help
Original Message   Feb 5, 2011 11:07 am
I have an Ariens 926PRO (model #926004) with 120v electric start which I use almost exclusively to start the machine. Today I went to start it up, and the electric starter sounds very sick, makes a much higher pitch squealing noise than usual and some other crunching type noises. Engine does not start. If I pull start, the engine starts fine. Unit was recently in the service position and I tightened up everything in the owners manual to spec with regards to controls and auger belt. Unit started by electric right after this, and that was 3-4 days ago. Now this. I have a youtube video of the problem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQtmSkE18c

What am I looking at here? A bad starter motor? Does something else need fixing/adjustment? Help would be appreciated. I would like to try to repair this myself.
Replies: 7 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
dcassell

Re: Ariens 926PRO Electric Start Help
Reply #7   Feb 5, 2011 4:46 pm
So I pulled the starter motor off (easy enough, two Torx style screws) and at the end of the starter motor shaft is a metal gear with a broken tooth. Can I somehow get this gear off and replace it, or do I have to replace the whole starter motor unit?

Shryp

Reply #8   Feb 5, 2011 4:54 pm
Thought those were all plastic.  You should look at the flywheel and make sure the ring gear isn't damaged there first.  Also, even with 1 chipped tooth, that should still work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVxvj-XtUT0

I still kind of think your problem is the gear isn't "unscrewing" when you use it.  When you hit the button for it, the gear unscrews down the motor shaft about an inch and engages the flywheel.  When you stop it there is a spring behind the plastic cup on the end of the gear that pushes it back.  Also the momentum from the flywheel probably pushes it back as well.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Shryp
MN_Runner

Reply #9   Feb 5, 2011 4:55 pm
Why spend 160-180 for a new starter?  Just use the pull starter since it seems to work just fine.
dcassell

Reply #10   Feb 5, 2011 5:20 pm
How do I properly inspect flywheel/ring gear? Sorry, my first time with this stuff.

For what it's worth, the "springy" action of the gear seems fine.. and if I manually put pressure on it and twist it seems to wind out the shaft with ease.
Shryp

Reply #11   Feb 5, 2011 5:23 pm
You can probably look through the hole where the starter gear was at.  You should see a big gear on the edge of a giant metal disc.  You will have to slowly turn the engine to see the whole thing.  The other option would be pull the back cover off the engine.  If the spring was working and the gear unwinds itself, I wonder why it was not engaging.  Even with a bad tooth like that the other teeth should have caught.  Have you tried plugging the starter in while holding it and pushing the button?  Make sure to hold it tight, because it will jump out of your hand if you don't.

Make sure the engine is off when you turn it.  You don't want it to start.  If you pull the spark plug out, it will be a lot easier to turn and no chance of it starting.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Shryp
trouts2

Reply #12   Feb 5, 2011 6:00 pm
 The gear is Tecumseh 37050, EOM $70, OEM under $20.   I've replaced them before but it's been a while and I forget how but it was easy.  If you go that way you can work drops of light oil on the punger and do that as a maintenance point easy year.

You can do what you want but I would not use it with a broken tooth.   If you continue to use it more teeth will probably strip.

Ring gear is probably fine but check as Shryp mentioned. 

A not so nice part is chipped teeth can be picked up by the flywheel magnet and jam between the flywheel and legs of the coil.  The tooth may have fallen out of the cowling or be held by the magnet.  It may move later.  You can still pull the rope so if gone fine. if stuck to the magnet it may ride there and not move.  The odds are with you but still odds.

The starter bodies with welded on fork type top U's sometimes have too much play and do just what yours has.  I don't think it's a major issue but I've seen a few just like yours and one that the teeth jamed between the magnet and coil leg.   

This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by trouts2
trouts2

Reply #13   Feb 5, 2011 6:14 pm
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by trouts2
dcassell

Reply #14   Feb 5, 2011 10:25 pm
Thanks guys for all of the comments, and the parts numbers (trouts). I will not use the electric starter until I replace the gear on the starter and inspect the ring gear. In the danyboy video, he uses a special Tecumseh tool to get the gear off the starter. This tool kit is about $50. Any comments on the feasibility of doing this without the special tool set?
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by dcassell
Shryp

Reply #15   Feb 6, 2011 3:28 am
He said he used to do it all the time without the toolkit.  He finds it easier now.  If you are only doing it once then why bother spending the money.  The rubber should pop off with a screwdriver under it and that clip can probably be done with a screwdriver as well.
Replies: 7 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42