Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 926PRO Electric Start Help

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dcassell

Ariens 926PRO Electric Start Help
Original Message   Feb 5, 2011 11:07 am
I have an Ariens 926PRO (model #926004) with 120v electric start which I use almost exclusively to start the machine. Today I went to start it up, and the electric starter sounds very sick, makes a much higher pitch squealing noise than usual and some other crunching type noises. Engine does not start. If I pull start, the engine starts fine. Unit was recently in the service position and I tightened up everything in the owners manual to spec with regards to controls and auger belt. Unit started by electric right after this, and that was 3-4 days ago. Now this. I have a youtube video of the problem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQtmSkE18c

What am I looking at here? A bad starter motor? Does something else need fixing/adjustment? Help would be appreciated. I would like to try to repair this myself.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
MN_Runner

Re: Ariens 926PRO Electric Start Help
Reply #1   Feb 5, 2011 11:47 am
I think your electric starter is shot - it might be more cost effective to buy a new starter unit and replace it yourself.  The high pitch from the starter sounds like you toasted the motor.
Shryp

Reply #2   Feb 5, 2011 12:11 pm
Sounds like the starter is not making contact with the flywheel.  The plastic gear on the starter is either frozen or stripped.
Sometimes it is just the bolts came loose, but I didn't see much wobble.

http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73#g/search

Go to his youtube channel and search for starter.

Definitely stop trying to use it until you fix it as all your doing is chewing the teeth up more.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Shryp
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #3   Feb 5, 2011 1:26 pm
dcassell wrote:
I have an Ariens 926PRO (model #926004) with 120v electric start which I use almost exclusively to start the machine. Today I went to start it up, and the electric starter sounds very sick, makes a much higher pitch squealing noise than usual and some other crunching type noises. Engine does not start. If I pull start, the engine starts fine. Unit was recently in the service position and I tightened up everything in the owners manual to spec with regards to controls and auger belt. Unit started by electric right after this, and that was 3-4 days ago. Now this. I have a youtube video of the problem here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFQtmSkE18c

What am I looking at here? A bad starter motor? Does something else need fixing/adjustment? Help would be appreciated. I would like to try to repair this myself.

This happens a lot with my JD826.  Snow from blowing melts on the hot blower, runs into the starter mechanism and then freezes (unheated garage) locking the sliding pinion gear in place.  When you go to start  it, the starter spins rapidly because the pinion gear does not engage the flywheel.  Spin it too much and you will burn out  yur starter.  Solution is just to heat up the blower until it melts out.  Can you turn on the heat in your storage area?  If not, be VERY careful how you try to heat it cause you dont want a gasoline fire.  Maybe a hairblower would work as long as you dont heat the fuel line, carbureter or tank.

dcassell

Reply #4   Feb 5, 2011 3:24 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I will pull the starter off and have a look.
carlb

Reply #5   Feb 5, 2011 3:40 pm
you have either a bad bendix that is not engaging properly, a bad starter gear or just a frozen bendix drive that once thawed will work properly.  I would do as you said and pull the starter off and then bring it inside.  There is really not much to the bendix drive on the starter and you should be able to see what is going on. 
MN_Runner

Reply #6   Feb 5, 2011 4:24 pm
It might be more cost effective to change the starter then changing part(s) inside.
dcassell

Reply #7   Feb 5, 2011 4:46 pm
So I pulled the starter motor off (easy enough, two Torx style screws) and at the end of the starter motor shaft is a metal gear with a broken tooth. Can I somehow get this gear off and replace it, or do I have to replace the whole starter motor unit?

Shryp

Reply #8   Feb 5, 2011 4:54 pm
Thought those were all plastic.  You should look at the flywheel and make sure the ring gear isn't damaged there first.  Also, even with 1 chipped tooth, that should still work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVxvj-XtUT0

I still kind of think your problem is the gear isn't "unscrewing" when you use it.  When you hit the button for it, the gear unscrews down the motor shaft about an inch and engages the flywheel.  When you stop it there is a spring behind the plastic cup on the end of the gear that pushes it back.  Also the momentum from the flywheel probably pushes it back as well.
This message was modified Feb 5, 2011 by Shryp
MN_Runner

Reply #9   Feb 5, 2011 4:55 pm
Why spend 160-180 for a new starter?  Just use the pull starter since it seems to work just fine.
dcassell

Reply #10   Feb 5, 2011 5:20 pm
How do I properly inspect flywheel/ring gear? Sorry, my first time with this stuff.

For what it's worth, the "springy" action of the gear seems fine.. and if I manually put pressure on it and twist it seems to wind out the shaft with ease.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42