Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!
Original Message   Jan 28, 2011 3:16 pm
I was about to make a phone call to the dealership in Wisconsin this morning to order a 221Q.  Before doing so, I decided to take a run to Home Depot to see what they had in stock.  I had thoroughly gone through their web site and it was less than helpful.  Terrible in fact.  Probably the worst big box store internet site I've tried.  Nonetheless, I took the trip into town to see what they had.  I was thoroughly surprised and pleased to see two new 221QE machines sitting on the floor.  Price was marked down 25% from $899.00 to $599.00.  Don't know who's doing their math but that works out to 33.3% in my books.  Regardless, I scooped one up right then and there.  I've got it down in the basement for a good once over before I put it to work.   We're supposed to get five or six inches of snow tonight and tomorrow so, I'll be submitting my review. 
Replies: 3 - 12 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Jake08

Re: Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!
Reply #3   Jan 28, 2011 11:02 pm
borat wrote:
... Before doing so, I decided to take a run to Home Depot to see what they had in stock.  I had thoroughly gone through their web site and it was less than helpful.  Terrible in fact.  Probably the worst big box store internet site I've tried...

If you think the HD site is bad, you should check out lowes.ca! Worse than useless!
This message was modified Jan 28, 2011 by Jake08
Shryp

Reply #4   Jan 29, 2011 4:53 am
I was fixing a CCR1000 up for someone and went to the Toro web site with the model number and it said the engine RPM specs for it.  Was 4200 - 4800 I think.
His was running on the low side of the scale so I tightened the spring up a bit.

Maybe it lists yours too.
borat

Reply #5   Jan 29, 2011 8:52 am
Shryp wrote:
I was fixing a CCR1000 up for someone and went to the Toro web site with the model number and it said the engine RPM specs for it.  Was 4200 - 4800 I think.
His was running on the low side of the scale so I tightened the spring up a bit.

Maybe it lists yours too.

Thanks for that.  I'll see if I can find something on it. 

Do you have the link?  Toro has tons of info to wade through to find what we want.  

Got  up to about five inches of snow this morning.  Having a coffee right now waiting for it to stop snowing.   Supposed to clear in an hour or two.

edit:  Don't bother replying Shryp.  I found it.  It says 4000 +/- 100.  Looks like I need to adjust it. 
This message was modified Jan 29, 2011 by borat
trouts2

Reply #6   Jan 29, 2011 9:24 am

Borat,

Many of the manual pages for specific SS models have engine spec manuals.  Below is a list from one.

4HP runs at 3700 + 300

CCR 2400 - 3700

5HP runs at 3800 + 300 rpm

CCR 2450 & 2500 - 3800 rpm

CCR 3600 - 3900 rpm

CCR 3650 - 4000 rpm

Snow Commander - 4000 rpm

All snow engines are + 300 rpm

I've got a Toro 2450 which from what I read has the same engine block, piston and carb components as yours.  Mines rated at 5hp.  The basic difference between the two seems to be the paddle shape.  From the drawings yours has a flatter section in the chute area.  Mine does not seem to walk itself along as well as Powerlites and CCR2000's I've had.  It needs a bit more help moving forward.  The thing tosses very well though and similar to the 2000's.  The little Powerlite 3hp would toss about as far.  It will be interesting to hear what results you get if you tweak the governor.

What happened on the CR3000?   I think that was a 5hp Suzuki and a nice machine.  The CCR2000s had a chute crank which was nice.

Shryp

Reply #7   Jan 29, 2011 10:52 am
If anyone else wants the link:
https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/portal/server.pt/community/product_center/225

Or you can go to toro.com and then on the bottom left it says "Parts & Manuals" and click on "Homeowner Parts".

Put in your model number then go to the specifications link and it lists all kinds of stuff.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #8   Jan 29, 2011 12:16 pm
Borat-Congratulations on the new machine. Looks like you have a 2-stroke habit.

If there is a little "window like" open space next to the right side wheel as you view the machine from the operators position  a standard plastic fuel shut-off fits perfectly. I put mine there on the 2450.

Marc

This message was modified Jan 29, 2011 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
PartsMan

Reply #9   Jan 29, 2011 1:12 pm
If anyone needs Toro belts, skids and stuff like that, there is a site in Canada with tons of aftermarket parts.

www.c-equipment.com
Paul7

Reply #10   Jan 29, 2011 1:25 pm
Borat, congrats on your new Toro single stage.  I'm interested to learn how it's performance compares to the lower hp Craftsman.
aa335

Reply #11   Jan 29, 2011 2:01 pm
PartsMan wrote:
If anyone needs Toro belts, skids and stuff like that, there is a site in Canada with tons of aftermarket parts.

www.c-equipment.com

A plug a day keeps the sales a coming.
borat

Reply #12   Jan 29, 2011 2:54 pm
yeah, I've got a serious two stroke habit.   I mean, really, what's not to like about them? 

My first setting of the governor was a bit too high.   No load speed was around 4200 but after working the machine for fifteen minutes or so, the engine speed went up to 4400 - 4500 rpm.  Way to fast for comfort.  It was pulling me down my 10% grade driveway at a dangerous clip.  I made another adjustment and set it back to 4100.   That's the best setting for control and power.   I'm thoroughly impressed with it.  However, my modified Craftsman doesn't give up much to it when it comes to moving snow.  Plus it's quite a bit lighter and easier to manage than the Toro because it doesn't have the same amount of paddle contact with the ground and doesn't pull anywhere nearly as well as the Toro.  Not really a bad thing actually.  It's a lot more neutral on flat ground.  When it comes to going up the grade on the driveway, the Toro is the machine you want.  I have to coax the Craftsman up the hill whereas, the Toro pulls itself up effortlessly, throwing snow a good distance while doing so.

The snow conditions were hardly a test for either machine.  Light fluffy stuff at first,  but once it had been moved around a bit, it had more substance to it and would toss much better.  

Overall, the Toro is an excellently designed machine.  Quick Shoot and deflector adjuster are real slick.  I'm surprised with the power of the engine.  Very strong for 141ccs running at only 4100 rpm.  The Tecumseh doesn't have anywhere near the same power at those rpms.  That may not be a fair comparison though, considering the Tecumseh is almost 14 years old.   Spin the old Tec up and the power is there in spades and it's amazingly smooth at higher rpms especially under load.   To be honest, the Craftsman is actually more fun to use because of it's weight and variable throttle.  Working the throttle gives more of a sense of participation rather than just ho-hum, follow and drag.   However, when it comes to getting the job done fast and efficiently, the Toro will be first out of the barn.

I tried to insert the following as hyper-links but the software will not allow me to.  You'll have to copy and paste to see them.   The first one is of the 1997 Craftsman 5/21, second is the 2011 Toro 221QE.  Both from this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5SUqWz0j8w  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCDyLJeXX4k

Trouts:  You asked what happened to the CCR 2000?   The woman selling was holding fast to her ridiculous price of $475.00.  There's no way that I'd spring for that kind of money when HD was selling brand a new 221QE for $599.00.

By the way, I called the the local Toro/Ariens gouger to see what their price was for the same machine and was astounded when they said I could "have" one for $999.00 before taxes.  After taxes, that would have been $1128.87!!!  Can you believe that?   There has to be a lot of stupid people in this town to keep that guy in business. 
This message was modified Jan 29, 2011 by borat
Replies: 3 - 12 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42