Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!
Original Message   Jan 28, 2011 3:16 pm
I was about to make a phone call to the dealership in Wisconsin this morning to order a 221Q.  Before doing so, I decided to take a run to Home Depot to see what they had in stock.  I had thoroughly gone through their web site and it was less than helpful.  Terrible in fact.  Probably the worst big box store internet site I've tried.  Nonetheless, I took the trip into town to see what they had.  I was thoroughly surprised and pleased to see two new 221QE machines sitting on the floor.  Price was marked down 25% from $899.00 to $599.00.  Don't know who's doing their math but that works out to 33.3% in my books.  Regardless, I scooped one up right then and there.  I've got it down in the basement for a good once over before I put it to work.   We're supposed to get five or six inches of snow tonight and tomorrow so, I'll be submitting my review. 
Replies: 13 - 22 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Paul7

Re: Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!
Reply #13   Jan 29, 2011 4:56 pm
borat wrote:
By the way, I called the the local Toro/Ariens gouger to see what their price was for the same machine and was astounded when they said I could "have" one for $999.00 before taxes.  After taxes, that would have been $1128.87!!!  Can you believe that?   There has to be a lot of stupid people in this town to keep that guy in business. 

God must love stupid people...why else would he have made so many of them.

Great review.  Your Toro was throwing the snow impressively off to the right.  My former single stage Ariens couldn't touch that performance.  BTW, I just missed getting a Honda HS35 that was for sale locally for $150.  Called two minutes too late. 
borat

Reply #14   Jan 29, 2011 5:46 pm
Paul7 wrote:
God must love stupid people...why else would he have made so many of them.

Great review.  Your Toro was throwing the snow impressively off to the right.  My former single stage Ariens couldn't touch that performance.  BTW, I just missed getting a Honda HS35 that was for sale locally for $150.  Called two minutes too late. 

Thanks for posting the pic of the fuel valve Marc.   Out of the way, nice and tidy.  It's good to see these machines coming with in-line fuel filters.   That will save a lot of people headaches for people.  Even the old Craftsman has a fuel filter on it.   

Paul7:

I saw a local add for a Honda HS35 selling for $250.00.  I thought about it.  Did some research and discovered it had an L-head engine which didn't appeal to me despite the fact that it's probably a great motor.  From what I read, the HS35 is a nice little piece of technology but wasn't a stellar performer.  Apparently not in the same league as the two cycle Toros and I do have a penchant for two stroke engines. 

Yeah, now that I have the Toro dialed in at 4100 rpm, it's much more manageable and doesn't give  away any noticeable power.  It's certainly a serious single stage machine and will likely be seeing much more work than my two stage Simplicity.  It's just that much easier to use and will handle 90% of the snow we get.      
ralphfr

Reply #15   Jan 29, 2011 9:54 pm
Great  videos. I like your Craftsman. I have a Sears model from 2006 that was made by Murray. If it worked half as well as your Craftsman I would still be using it. I have a 221QE also. After watching your video it sounds like your machine is revving much higher than mine.  As I have some mechanical ability but almost no experience with OPE engines I was wondering if you could explain or ideally make a video of the process of changing the governor setting on these machines. It would be much appreciated, Thanks and good luck with the Toro.
MN_Runner

Reply #16   Jan 29, 2011 10:42 pm
A how-adjust video would be good but to duplicate Borat, you will need to have a tachometer so you can dial the rpm.
ralphfr

Reply #17   Jan 29, 2011 10:54 pm
Amazon has one with a replaceable battery for under $20. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/meter-tacho-hourmeter-stroke-HOURMETER-RL-HM011/dp/B0049IFX56

Will this do? Thanks!
borat

Reply #18   Jan 29, 2011 11:25 pm
ralphfr:

On the lower left side of the bottom shroud there's a cover that the choke handle pokes through.   Remove the screw and take the cover off.  You will see a spring that is horizontally mounted from a connection on the carburetor to a vertical tab.  Bending the tab ever so slightly to the left will increase engine speed.  It doesn't take much of an adjustment.  1/16th of an inch or less will give you a substantial gain in rpm.  Recommended rpms for this machine is 4000 +/- 100 rpm.  I have mine at 4100 rpm and it seems perfect for me.  Remember that increasing engine speed will increase travel speed as well as throwing distance.   I can live with all the throwing distance but can't keep up with the forward movement (particularly down hill)  with anything over 4200 rpm so, you'd be better off to keep the revs at a speed that will allow you to manage the machine.  You  should get yourself a mini tach to confirm your engine speed.  
ralphfr

Reply #19   Jan 29, 2011 11:30 pm
BTW I found a post by SUPERBUCK(#23) that makes it sound pretty straightforward. Here's the link:

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/46182-0-1.html 

Just saw you post BORAT. Great explanation. I will order a tach and check the current rpm. Thanks a lot!

Also in case anyone needs a picture I believe pic#18 on this page is what we're talking about. Thanks again.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_lawn-boy_plastic_carb.asp
This message was modified Jan 29, 2011 by ralphfr
aa335

Reply #20   Jan 30, 2011 4:03 am
borat wrote:
Recommended rpms for this machine is 4000 +/- 100 rpm.  I have mine at 4100 rpm and it seems perfect for me.  Remember that increasing engine speed will increase travel speed as well as throwing distance.   I can live with all the throwing distance but can't keep up with the forward movement (particularly down hill)  with anything over 4200 rpm so, you'd be better off to keep the revs at a speed that will allow you to manage the machine.  You  should get yourself a mini tach to confirm your engine speed.  

I have the 421QE and it does pull me down the hill too fast for comfort at times when there's ice on the pavement.  I have thought about increasing the RPM but would like a throttle control, for those times I don't need the extra power.  Most of the time, I don't really need more power, as 20-25 feet throwing distance is all to get the snow off the driveway.
aa335

Reply #21   Jan 30, 2011 4:15 am
borat wrote:

By the way, I called the the local Toro/Ariens gouger to see what their price was for the same machine and was astounded when they said I could "have" one for $999.00 before taxes.  After taxes, that would have been $1128.87!!!  Can you believe that?   There has to be a lot of stupid people in this town to keep that guy in business. 

Does Toro allow dealers to sell over MSRP?  Sounds like the dealer doesn't have any competition and the only dealer in town so does whatever he wants.

That dealer in your area is definitely not the norm.  In my area, all Toro dealers, including Home Depot, all have fairly same price within $30 of each other.   None so far has anything over Toro's MSRP.
Shryp

Reply #22   Jan 30, 2011 5:12 am
Here are 2 videos on a CCR Powerlite rebuild.  The second one shows how to adjust that spring at around 6:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHqWOz98oZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3laPrRM6q5Q
This message was modified Jan 30, 2011 by Shryp
Replies: 13 - 22 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42