Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!
Original Message   Jan 28, 2011 3:16 pm
I was about to make a phone call to the dealership in Wisconsin this morning to order a 221Q.  Before doing so, I decided to take a run to Home Depot to see what they had in stock.  I had thoroughly gone through their web site and it was less than helpful.  Terrible in fact.  Probably the worst big box store internet site I've tried.  Nonetheless, I took the trip into town to see what they had.  I was thoroughly surprised and pleased to see two new 221QE machines sitting on the floor.  Price was marked down 25% from $899.00 to $599.00.  Don't know who's doing their math but that works out to 33.3% in my books.  Regardless, I scooped one up right then and there.  I've got it down in the basement for a good once over before I put it to work.   We're supposed to get five or six inches of snow tonight and tomorrow so, I'll be submitting my review. 
Replies: 19 - 28 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ralphfr

Re: Picked up a brand new Toro 221QE today!
Reply #19   Jan 29, 2011 11:30 pm
BTW I found a post by SUPERBUCK(#23) that makes it sound pretty straightforward. Here's the link:

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/46182-0-1.html 

Just saw you post BORAT. Great explanation. I will order a tach and check the current rpm. Thanks a lot!

Also in case anyone needs a picture I believe pic#18 on this page is what we're talking about. Thanks again.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_lawn-boy_plastic_carb.asp
This message was modified Jan 29, 2011 by ralphfr
aa335

Reply #20   Jan 30, 2011 4:03 am
borat wrote:
Recommended rpms for this machine is 4000 +/- 100 rpm.  I have mine at 4100 rpm and it seems perfect for me.  Remember that increasing engine speed will increase travel speed as well as throwing distance.   I can live with all the throwing distance but can't keep up with the forward movement (particularly down hill)  with anything over 4200 rpm so, you'd be better off to keep the revs at a speed that will allow you to manage the machine.  You  should get yourself a mini tach to confirm your engine speed.  

I have the 421QE and it does pull me down the hill too fast for comfort at times when there's ice on the pavement.  I have thought about increasing the RPM but would like a throttle control, for those times I don't need the extra power.  Most of the time, I don't really need more power, as 20-25 feet throwing distance is all to get the snow off the driveway.
aa335

Reply #21   Jan 30, 2011 4:15 am
borat wrote:

By the way, I called the the local Toro/Ariens gouger to see what their price was for the same machine and was astounded when they said I could "have" one for $999.00 before taxes.  After taxes, that would have been $1128.87!!!  Can you believe that?   There has to be a lot of stupid people in this town to keep that guy in business. 

Does Toro allow dealers to sell over MSRP?  Sounds like the dealer doesn't have any competition and the only dealer in town so does whatever he wants.

That dealer in your area is definitely not the norm.  In my area, all Toro dealers, including Home Depot, all have fairly same price within $30 of each other.   None so far has anything over Toro's MSRP.
Shryp

Reply #22   Jan 30, 2011 5:12 am
Here are 2 videos on a CCR Powerlite rebuild.  The second one shows how to adjust that spring at around 6:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHqWOz98oZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3laPrRM6q5Q
This message was modified Jan 30, 2011 by Shryp
borat

Reply #23   Jan 30, 2011 10:31 am
aa335 wrote:
Does Toro allow dealers to sell over MSRP?  Sounds like the dealer doesn't have any competition and the only dealer in town so does whatever he wants.

That dealer in your area is definitely not the norm.  In my area, all Toro dealers, including Home Depot, all have fairly same price within $30 of each other.   None so far has anything over Toro's MSRP.

Home Depot showed the machine marked down from $899.00 to $599.00.  The gouger's price was $100.00 over HD's MSRP.  That would lead me to believe that the gouger is obviously marking up his prices over MSRP.   Who knows?  Maybe he uses the extra money he adds to MSRP  to use as his "discount" to sell the machine for full MSRP.   Regardless, anyone with the least bit of shopping sense should do a bit of internet searching and local price comparison before making a purchase.  

The dealership didn't have competition until HD showed up a few years ago selling Toro, Ariens and Echo products.  I have a buddy who's brother in law is a friend of the owner of the dealership.  We were at a gathering a few weeks ago and the b-i-l, said something to the effect that if we don't get a lot of snow soon, the "dealership" would be feeling the pinch.  Snow moving equipment isn't moving off the floor.  I casually said that I've been seeing lots of pick-ups coming out of HD with snow blowers in the box.  His response was brilliant.  He said "Well that's because they sell them a lot cheaper and it's junk compared to what Joe sells."   I just let it slide.   

I've only dealt with that dealership once when I was in desperate need of a belt and air filter for my Husqvarna riding mower.   His prices for parts were at least three times the cost of equivalent parts at larger retail stores (if they had them in stock).   When the larger, less expensive retail outlets don't have what you need, and you can't/won't wait for parts to be shipped to you, the gouger gets to make a killing.  

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned a local woman trying to sell a six year old CCR 2000 for $475.00.   When I made her an offer of $300.00, she refused because she said that the machine had been purchased at the above local gouger for $1200.00 and she couldn't part with the machine for less than what she was asking.  I told her that brand new, better appointed Toros can be had at HD for $599.00 which is only $124.00 more than what she's asking.   She maintained that they paid big bucks and couldn't let the machine go for less than what she's asking.  I then politely told her that she had been severely gouged by the dealership  (she agreed)  and that she cannot expect to get the price she wants when new, better machines are so closely priced to what she's asking.   She said that if she can't get her price, she'll keep it.    I assume she kept it. 

What keeps the gouger alive is his connections with the local landscaping outfits.  He get's a lot of their business and they have no problem paying top dollar because they pass their costs on to the consumer and/or write much of their capital costs off as business expenses.   The gouger also has a good small engine mechanic and draws a lot of service work at $80.00/hr.  What many customers don't know is that 75% of the work done in their shop is carried out by less capable techs. 

It's nice to support local business but at what cost?  With outrageous prices and arrogant, insulting attitude, it's hard to muster up any sympathy for them.   Bottom line is that he'll never see another penny of my money.     
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #24   Jan 30, 2011 11:06 am
borat wrote:
I casually said that I've been seeing lots of pick-ups coming out of HD with snow blowers in the box.  His response was brilliant.  He said "Well that's because they sell them a lot cheaper and it's junk compared to what Joe sells."   I just let it slide.  

Here's a pic from yesterday of a stack of a nearby HD's CA$599 "junk".  Some were apparently able to "price match" and use a Rona Saturday (29th) morning opening till noon e-mailed offer of "15% off anything" in Rona stores at HD.  That brought the 221QE from CA$599 to CA$509.15.  "Junk", probably not, "a lot cheaper" than gouger, yes.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

borat

Reply #25   Jan 30, 2011 11:15 am
aa335 wrote:
I have the 421QE and it does pull me down the hill too fast for comfort at times when there's ice on the pavement.  I have thought about increasing the RPM but would like a throttle control, for those times I don't need the extra power.  Most of the time, I don't really need more power, as 20-25 feet throwing distance is all to get the snow off the driveway.

That's why I like the mechanical governor on the Tecumseh.  With a simple piece of string, it can be used like a throttle. 

If you find a suitably sized/tensioned spring with a straight extension that could be fed through the hole in the tab, it too could be used like a throttle.  When the spring is at rest in the normal operating position, the engine would be running at desired limited rpms.   Tie a piece of string onto the end of the spring with the straight extension that feeds through the hole will allow for the shaft of the spring to be drawn through the hole on the tab thus increasing rpms.  Relaxing tension on the spring will allow it to go back to normal operating position.   The concept is simple enough.  The trick would be to find the correct spring to do the job. 

Another option would be to make some kind of linkage that would utilize the existing spring and running a small shaft through the hole in the tab and bending the tab far enough to the left to allow the shaft to have movement.  The shaft would also need a stop on it on the left side of the tab to hold normal operating position.  Might take a bit of trail and error but very much possible.  
This message was modified Jan 30, 2011 by borat
borat

Reply #26   Jan 30, 2011 2:41 pm
"That brought the 221QE from CA$599 to CA$509.15. "

I'm having a Homer Simpson moment here.....DOUGH!!!!

Unfortunately, we don't have a Rona here so, I have to live with $599.00. 
MN_Runner

Reply #27   Jan 30, 2011 2:46 pm
Borat,

Is there a reason to wait until first oil change or 20 hrs (or some set usage hour) of usage before increasing the RPM?  Just curious and I am not trying to pass down any pre-conceived idea.

NotMoneyGuy

Reply #28   Jan 30, 2011 3:26 pm
Borat,

Don't worry, you still got a good deal.  Just enjoy that outstanding view while you clear snow, your video is a post card of snow throwing locales!

Love the 2-stroke sound, especially that distinctive bouncy engine sound when you back up with no load.  Not sure my tighter-quarter neighbours would agree.  That's why I'll probably hang on to my Poulan 4-banger, unless I see some crazy clearance on the 221QE, especially the HD with 27 in stock today from yesterday's pic.  I caught the 2-stroke bug years ago with three Yamaha bikes in a row, RD400, RZ350, DT200R, once in your blood.....

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

Replies: 19 - 28 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42